'97 sx 600 mods

sleddheadd

what can i guy do for some simple yet effective mods for a '97 sx 600 . would like to get a little more zip out of it . i am going to go with the thinner head gasket ( what size recommended ?) maybe smaller jets , sled is all stock don't know whats in there now but what do you think works best? possibly a smaller upper gear ? .... what do you guys recomend for this sled ? anything else or different i should try ?
thanks alot !!

hop ups

if u have the stock head gasket, just drill out the rivets and take 2 of the tin layers and spray paint them lightly, put in with the water jacket flares down and 1 up. thi will really wake it up but u should run premium or a bit or octane if you are gonna go hard, for cruisin i ran reg, with no problems. also a set of reeed spacers will give the twin a bit more snap. bender racing makes a timing advance key as well which will give more horses as well and they arent to difficult to throw in. throw in a 21 top gear, a 50/44 helix (may have to change rivets in weight for proper rpm, no more than 8000rpm . thats some of the things i did to my 600 and it rocked.

600 sx mods

Aw come on MrSled, you must be asleep at the wheel. The 97 600 is a twin, not a triple.

Thinner head gasket. See MaxxPerformance for your choice of .8 or .6 mm gaskets (stock is 1.4mm). Or find the Yamaha part number for the 1995 600 twin head gasket (I think it starts with 8ca- as opposed to 8cr- and is a .8mm).

Notch the reed stops to unblock the transfer port. Go to the tech pages to see how this is done. Only takes an hour or so to do and is free compared to $50 reed spacers. This seems to get rid of an off throttle gurgle and improves throttle response.

For trail riding I'd lower the top gear one tooth for quicker acceleration. For lake running I'd leave the gearing alone.

Check the tech pages for a good clutching setup for the SX.

These suggestions are based on reading these forums for 2 years and having a 97 600XTC that I've tweeked to run real nice.

Take the sled VIN to a Yamaha dealer to see what service work was performed. Some 97 600 twins have had piston problems (mine was one) that can be expensive to repair after failure. If yours still is stock and has a lot of miles, you might want to update to 1998 pistons and rings, just in case.

piston update

if you are planning on keeping you sled for a few more years and put on lots of miles, i would suggest the wiseco, the updated yamaha pistons have to thin of a skirt and they crack and fall off, have had 2 sets do this to me, they are good for about 4000kms then ka pow u have 2 screwed cyclinders. just a little heads up

Back