Will we have enough snow for January muni ride?

tomseal6

VIP Member
Just wondering what you all think about the snow for the Jan. 10-14th Munising ride. Doesnt look promising right now. I just hooked up with a room with somebody so I hope we have snow.

Last year going up at this time we saw trailer after trailer heading south which made us pretty nervous. After we crossed the bridge there was still bare ground. We stopped and talked to a few guys at a gas station that were heading home also. It was looking pretty grim. The further west we went on M-28 the more snow we seen but not very much. There was still bare ground here and there. We stayed in Au Train. We were able to ride that night but trails were icy. That night we got 6 inches of fresh snow and conditions improve greatly. It continued to snow here and there and it ended up being a good weekend other than me finding out I had bad shocks on my sled after doing a skid swap. They are calling for lower temps next week and in Michigan you can have no snow 1 day then the next day have 2 feet. Then again it can disappear a week later. I feel conditions will be fine. Way to early to throw in the towel.

:letitsnow I live in wetmore next to munising, not enough snow to ride on.last saturday I rode in 12" of good snow but it got warm.hope it snows soon to bought a phazer mountain lite.

Last edited:
oh it will be good. We will have a good time if the temps are high through december and get low in begining of January that means that the Superior wont freeze and when they do get cold weather in Muni all hell brakes loose>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KABAM, Kapow, Kazam, there is when we will get blasted by snow every day during the trip. LAKE EFFECT SNOW. We will be just fine!!!!!!!!

I was in Iraq this time last year and havnt rode since February of 2005 when i was in Wa. state riding with Mtnviper so this is going to be a ton of fun for me. Mike (S.X.), if you are reading this, looks like I have my own bed now. LOL

Please keep me and everybody posted on the weather up there. Im on the Mississippi Gulf Coast driving up to Saint Igance on leave here in a few weeks. Tom

i wouldnt worry. last year they had enough snow until the last ride in march. we're just off to a late start.

www.snowtrail.info

www.snowtrail.info. is also a great site , it has trail reports and web cams all over the place, it is linked with john dee an has great stuff!!! i would check it out!!..... :letitsnow the wife and i are going to muni and we are keeping our fingers crossed!!! :letitsnow

michigan snow

I was in michigan a last week we put a little over 400 miles on and the trails were in pretty good shape but by the weekend it got warm and the snow was melting fast

Weather forcast for Muni next week!!!

Forecast Conditions High/Low °F Precip.
Chance High Temperatures Low Temperatures Precipitation
Tonight
Dec 17 Snow Showers Late
N/A/27° 30%

High not valid after 2pm
Mon
Dec 18 Few Snow Showers
32°/23° 30%
32°F

Stay Warm While You Sleep
Tue
Dec 19 Flurries
33°/28° 20%
33°F

Wed
Dec 20 Partly Cloudy
39°/34° 10%
39°F

Thu
Dec 21 Few Showers
40°/33° 30%
40°F

Do You Know How to Spot a Storm?
Fri
Dec 22 Showers
39°/34° 40%
39°F

Sat
Dec 23 Few Snow Showers
36°/30° 30%
36°F

Sun
Dec 24 Snow Shower
32°/25° 40%
32°F

Grab Your Snowshoes
Mon
Dec 25 Partly Cloudy
29°/25° 20%
29°F

Tue
Dec 26 Rain / Snow
30°/26° 30%
30°F

Fear not - things change REAL fast in the U.P. - temps drop and you can get a foot of snow in a matter of a few hours - seen many a Christmas with no, then turn around and have 2 foot by the 15th of January - it will be fine

:letitsnow

Uptime and I can keep everyone posted on the snow conditions. I work at the TP Mill outside of Munising. That must be in Uptimes back yard. This will be my first year riding in the U.P. as we just moved back here from Oregon.
My sleds:
2001 SRX 144" Eckholm dropped and rolled
2002 Viper stock
1997 V-Max-4 ST Piped and minor motor mods
2006 M-7 (Ooops)

I just called the front desk at the Best Western 5 minutes ago and the lady said they have absolutely no snow.

I"m going either way snow or no snow.Tom when people meet up at night and bullshit that's best part of the whole ride you don't know what your missing until you expierence it,It's a blast,Ryan

pro116 said:
I"m going either way snow or no snow.Tom when people meet up at night and bullshit that's best part of the whole ride you don't know what your missing until you expierence it,It's a blast,Ryan
I couldnt agree more!! :rockon:

I wont stress out until Jan 5th and if they have none by then I may be concerned (maybe).

Today's 15 day forecast shows temps to be slightly above freezing until Dec 30 with not much snow except 3-6" tonight.

pistonbone,
where u located? 3-6 isnt bad in a night. if it does that for 5 nights that would be great.

Back