The making of "Darth Viper"

mrviper700

VIP Lifetime Member
I am going to do a complete build up of a 2002 viper made into a completely black viper, I mean Everything will either be painted, powder coated, anodized black on it. I will include photo's and progress of the tear down as well as assembly. I am going to include things such as squaring up the chaincase and some tech ideas for you to apply to your own sleds. Sled will be equipped with my 780 big bore engine, triple pipes, larger carbs, reeds, case work, plenty of mods to various parts and longtracked to accept a 1.5"x136" track, oversize rear skid wheels. This will be yamaha's version of a nightfire!! Darth Viper style!! Stay tuned.

I would maybe be interested in some very fine line carbon fiber colored stripes, I have a idea in mind. When I get to that point I will be in touch, thanx

Oh boy this could be real good. Hurry up Mrviper, lets get it started...........

Yo Vipe Maybe you should start a show called pimp my sled. LOL. I will wait in line.

Everyone's seen a blue viper, but here is the sled "before", the next pics will be of it all stripped down in stages and then some things to look for and mod along the way. Will have the seat, rear bumper cover, blue ski loops, track, idler wheels, and many other misc parts for sale from this sled as all that stuff will be replaced.

The first series will be taking it apart and things to look for and check on your own machines.

Attachments

• darthviper1.jpg
    darthviper1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 102
wanna race for double or nothing on the labor charge when I get there??? LOL

Do you miss your 136 2001 Dark side of the Force SRX??

sound like it is gonna be sweet oh and vipersniper has an add in the wanted section for a blue viper seat if your are going to sell that

thanks, I just always like to see pics of how unshiny parts are. just a neat part of the going-through-the-change process :) looks like a solid machine :) not all beat to hell like some projects start off as lol!

Heres what I started with today, I have already bolted on a new black windscreen and black ski loops. Its in nice shape this donor sled....LOL

Attachments

• darthviper1.jpg
    darthviper1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 46
  • darthviper2.jpg
    darthviper2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 46
This is the start of take down to be prepared to be longtracked and made "BLACK", removal of seat, tank, hood, drain chaincase lube, remove rear skid, bumper cover.

Next pic shows the removal of the track, driveshaft, chaincase.

Attachments

• darthviper3.jpg
    darthviper3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 57
  • darthviper4.jpg
    darthviper4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 47
This is the removal of the tunnel end cap, bumper and srx rear cooler that this sled was equipped with.

Then it shows the tunnel extension on the sled with rear cap installed, notice I only placed 1 rivet on each side at the bottom, this allows you to swivel the cap back to slip the cooler in place, then when you have your cooler in place you can rivet it all together, I am going to use a sx style cooler for the weight savings they provide, they hold a little less coolant.

Attachments

• darthviper5.jpg
    darthviper5.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 39
  • darthviper6.jpg
    darthviper6.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 47
Side view of the chasis with frt suspension removed, tunnel extension on.

Then another angle of whats left of the chassis, its next trip is to the paint shop where the entire tunnel will be painted base coat/clear coat black.

Note the air powered hyd. rivet gun, this is the ONLY way to do these, it pulls the rivets super tight and makes for a factory type job, if you dont have one, go get one, they are worth thier weight in gold!

Attachments

• darthviper7.jpg
    darthviper7.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 41
  • darthviper8.jpg
    darthviper8.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
These parts along with the skidframe rails are headed to be powder coated Gloss Black.

Attachments

• partspwdercoat.jpg
    partspwdercoat.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 36
don, just buy viper s ski bottoms, you can use your tips, and carbides in them, they are over 1lb lighter each ski, cheap too.

Didnt even think of the one peice ski bottoms, thanx Scott!

I took the rear skid apart to get the rails powder coated gloss black. When I reassemble the skid I am going to install oversize rear wheels and oversize wheels in all other places as well, I will also show pics on how to square the skidframe up, its already out and sometimes when you take them out and check them youd be surprised at how far off they can be. Also will show where to grind the rear axle spacers to fit in the 7.5" rear wheels.

This sled must have had a studded 1.25" track on it at 1 time as it was equipped with 8 tooth drivers on it and the chain case gearing was bumped up taller as well from the stock 22/38.

After a brief wait for parts to return from powdercoating and tunnel/chassis from paint shop we shall get a little more in depth on things to do when assembling the sled and some small details to help you get a little more performance from your machine.Stay tuned. :2strokes:

Back