RE: Gearing Problem??????

MountainMax

RE: Gearing Problem??????

Guys, I noticed my MMax 700 141" x 1.5" lug track, when racing people on hard packed snow, I don't do so well, but when we race on looseer unpakced snow I kick ass, anyone explain this? am I geared too high? I want my machine to do better on a groomed packed 1/8 mile drag, what's my best setup??

its because of the track and the gearing, go higher on the top gear will help you more on the hard pack but I think you will still be slower...you have much more track to turn.

My gearing was 23/39 with 9 tooth drivers 1.5" Lug, definately not geared too low. but I tried to change my upper gear right down to 20 and it still never helped me on the hard pack.

You've probably got a realistic top speed of 85mph or so if you're stock. It's not a drag machine with that kind of track on it, but I bet it climbs great! By the way, some tracks are meant for soft snow, some are built for hard packed stuff, which do you have?

actually 23/39 with 9 tooth drivers is geared for a theoretical 116mph at 1-1 shift, stock 21/40's with 8 teeth was about 80 MPH I had a stock lug track cut to 1.5" now i have the Camo challenger finger type track for better hookup on hard pack grooomed track. will this make a diff? I wonder? I also changed out my drivers back to 8 teeth.
same gear ratio, never tried it yet.

Do you know what hp you are getting at what rpm?

What shift out, and peak rpm are you seeing?

What do you have in the secondary?

I was using bender triple pipes so my max rpm is suppose to be at 8700, right where it makes the max (135hp) RPM, i checked my tack, and im hitting that mark, using benders secondary, I since installed a roller rooster GenII, havn't tested it yet

Those tracks won,t hook on real hard pan snow. I ran a 1.1 X 141 on my 700 mm on hardpack & it worked great. I threw on the 2" for mountain trips. All my Bender piped ported 700,s ran best at 84-8600 rpm. For racing you will run the quickest by coming out of the hole at peak torque rpm,s which is about 8200 & climbing slowly to 8600 rpm. I rode 4 Bender piped 700,s for 5 years & this allways worked the best for me.

I tried cutting my stock track right down to 1.15" and all it done then was spin like a short track,(this year i have installed a camoplast Finger type track, but im not sure what height to cut it down to, it's 2.25" now, I was thinking about 1.5" again, I even treid playing with the weights and brought rpms down to 8400 up to 8900 i never felt any difference, and I should have right? makes me think I have something wrong with the weight/spring combo, It's all changed for this year, will try it again.

There's no use making changes without a mule sled to compare to. Pick a buddy with a sled similar in performance to yours, and race each and every change made. Be picky, and take notes. Good luck!

I didn't say I never, Actually I did use my buddie and his Polaris RMK 700 and he beat me every time, except when I run in the powder, and the machines are set up as close as you can get for track length/lug height/ HP as you can get.

Back