1976 Merc Trail Twister

03viperguy

doing some odds and ends. reseal the motor and redo some wiring. rebuild/seal the carbs and get new carb boots. needs 1 more motor mount. going to repaint the exhaust while the motor is out. sand down and see how it looks. also going to just give it a nice cleaning. here she is, with me pulling the motor :)
IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

you can tell how bad the motor was leaking. will be getting more pics of just the motor soon as I pull it aprt. also going to get a thread going on the mono install in my viper. pics of that seem to be gone :( let me know what you think of the old beast! and any and all suggestions are welcome!
IMG_3357.jpg
IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

Hey man is that a Yamaha ?. I`ve never heard of "merc trail blazer" ?.
You should bless that oil leak. The engine in our tractor (Valmet 505, normal sized farmer tractor) seems to rust to death, there`s not a single oil leak.
Hehe well anyway cool project:)

it is (or was) made by mercury marine. I will dig around and see what I have for photos and post up some more. sled isnt home right now. chassis is 4 hours north, motor is in the garage 2 minutes away :)

Nice rig! are you going to do any mod's? or are you just restoring her?

silver

Last edited:
IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

thats about all I have for now, but maybe next weekend I will get north and get more pics. depends on how things go :) let me know what you guys think of it!

I figure that I will mod it a little, but for now just getting the original stuff in good working order to see what I want to improve. found a guy in CT that has made a set of twin pipes for the trail twister motor (its a 440 fan) they are actually pretty quick stock though, they really dont weigh very much. I have a pic of the specs somewhere that lists the weight. thought it was like low 300 #s or so. so that made the hp to lb seem pretty damn good!

more pics of todays work. if anyone sees something I should pay attention to please speak up, I havent done this before. most I have gotten into any motor is the plugs and look down into the cylinder :) fun experience, especially since it isnt my trail sled lol!
IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

piston wash looks ok, right? considering the seals are bad and the intake boots have cracks I guess :(
IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

too bad those crankcase bolts broke, should be easy to drill and try an easy out

oh, those are actually WICKED long bolts that go all the way through the case and act as studs! not actually broken, they are hanging out the bottom! if you follow them straight down you can see the heads hanging out :) had me scared a minute, thought I missed something!

Back