2001 SRX Suspension

sledder

I have been riding yammies for 15 years - I currently own a 01 SRX - nice sled - skid frame sucks. I usually take a beating on other boards for my opinions, however, I am starting to agree with 'Green and Yellow' Yamahas' lineup bites. If you want a performance sled - the tank is too heavy and the Viper S is marginally acceptable. Any comments.

Here's a suggestion. Learn how to set up the skid for your weight and riding style, then get back to us with an informed opinion. If you soften the springs too far, you'll cause the skid to be in 'coupled' mode all the time, resulting in a rough ride. It's got to be RIGHT for what you need, and never trust a dealer with suspension set ups, they don't care enough to do it right.

Green and Yellow, what the hell do they know about Yamaha's? They think their sleds are best, and will tell you just that. Do you want to whoop them and not get beat up doing it? Learn how to tune your sled. I had to learn the hard way, but I wound up with a great handling and riding sled that I now find hard to get rid of. I like it too much!

Good luck!

Actually the front suspension is setup aggressive, the rear is stiff. Remember the sled only has 8 inchs of travel 7.5 full stroke. The stiff setup allows the suspension to couple in the nasties without bottoming. Not to mention the attack angle of the track sucks preventing proper floatation in heavy snow. I can spank most 800s in the flats - add Sunday afternoon to the trails and the situation is usually different. Trust me - you can't tell me much about this sled. However, I am more interested in your blind faith towards Yamaha. The only product they currently offer that can compete in any class is the four stroke. what a joke. And even the RX Warrior wouldn't dare to compete against the REV Renegade 800 HO or Polaris SKS.

They only sled in their lineup even worth looking at is the Viper S and the sad thing about this sled is the hp should be compared the other mfgs 600s.

Well, it sounds like you know everything, and aren't here to learn. I suggest trying www.amsnow.com and leave this board to the people who want to learn how to make a Yamaha do everything they want!

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but if Yamaha sucks, there's a bazillion year old Yellow, Green, and Red sleds forsale used. Funny how most of those riders buy a new one every year or two, never tune them, and claim they are the shit.

How about riding in areas that don't see the traffic you are used to? If you want a rough ride, head for some bumps! I got to ride a Rev 800 last season, and while impressed, that thing would beat you up in the stutters too, every sled will.

Now to back up a bit, the SRX is a lake racer that can handle like it's on rails, at what point did you think it's a ditch banger, and when did that mean it sucks? The skids in the '00's and up transfer qutie well out of the hole, which is what it's meant to do. 3 foot moguls...try a long travel sled! :roll:

Now, I have ridden a few SRX's in washboard conditions, and found that I could push them just as hard as my long travel sled, no problem. I am in the middle of the weight specs that Yamaha tunes their springs for though, if you're 250lbs and up, then it's going to be hard to tune the skid for you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the sled can do what you want, if you're willing to tune it, tweak it, mod it, etc. No sled does everything, all have their strong points and weaknesses. Pick the one who's strengths fit you best, and try not to bitch.

I appreciate the input - this a bulletin board isn't it - You should be able to handle the compliments as well as criticisms of Yamaha. You have to admit the lineup is a far cry from days of old. Yamaha used to be a super power in sleds - we all know they have the money and the technology to make a kick @#$ machine. The four stroke is nice, but can you honestly say it is a performance machine - my father inlaw is 65 and he rides one.

Have you read the reviews of Yamaha ? They have become a fringe mfg. I wouldn't be suprised if they exit the market is 5 - 10 yrs.

I can take criticism personaly, or about Yamaha in general. I am not Yamaha, or work for Yamaha. It's frustrating when you seem to have not tuned the skid for you, but complain about it.

Do you actually race? I don't, I've only day dreamed about snoxing. At what point was it decided that a sled company had to race and WIN to be good at anything? The products Yamaha are putting are extremely reliable, like get you to the hospital in a snowstorm reliable. They get great milage for the most part, and are smooth as hot butter. They handle better than any other sled (mine does anyway) but they don't take to jumping houses, stock at least.

If that's what you want out of a Yamaha, you're going to get it!

If you take a short travel sled and head for moguls, you're asking too much. It's unrealistic to think you'll keep up with the lightweight ditch bangers, even with smaller engines. By the way, if that's the case, you might have trouble keeping up with my little 500, as it takes a straight away for bigger sleds to run away from me.

The RX1, might not be your ultimate sled. Getting 20mpg quietly, keeping your average trail speed up higher than you're used to, rebuilding the motor every 100k miles...those things might not appeal to you.

The suspension in the '04's is a huge jump ahead for Yamaha, the adjustablity of the damping is tremendous. Remember how Poodle was lauded for their PPS shock? This is like that, but bigger. The Proaction skid will finaly get some good reviews, mark my words.

Anyway, pick a sled that will do what you want, and try not to complain. Tune it!

Actually the front suspension is setup aggressive, the rear is stiff. Remember the sled only has 8 inchs of travel 7.5 full stroke. The stiff setup allows the suspension to couple in the nasties without bottoming.

This tells me you haven't tried to adjust the suspension much. While it does only have 8" of travel it can be made to ride great, as long as you're not trying to use it for snow-x. When setup properly so that it couples at the right time, it will give you a nice ride and still not bottom out except occasionally.

Break your mindset that longer travel is better and that "there's only 8" it has to be setup stiff" and you'll be amazed at how well you can make it ride.

It sounds like you bought the wrong sled for what you want to do, are upset about your decision, and now it's a piece of shit. If you ride an SRX in the conditions it was designed for, ex. smooth trails w/ up to 1 foot bumps or out on the lake, it flat out rules. If you like riding the rough trails or spend a lot of time in deep powder, well... then it is a piece of crap.

I love my srx and i would take it anywhere a guy would take his rev and ride it as hard as him.I have had my suspension professionally set up for my weight and the way i ride.I wouldnt go and call it a pile of crap. I would have to say yamaha makes the best sleds for quality and durability ive seen my sled roll a few times at over 100 mph on ice and no damage if that was a cat or a rev they would have been totaled i rode a rev and thought it sucked to ride

I love my srx and i would take it anywhere a guy would take his rev and ride it as hard as him.I have had my suspension professionally set up for my weight and the way i ride.I wouldnt go and call it a pile of crap. I would have to say yamaha makes the best sleds for quality and durability ive seen my sled roll a few times at over 100 mph on ice and no damage if that was a cat or a rev they would have been totaled i rode a rev and thought it sucked to ride

I'll add my 2 cents :lol:

Well my 99' SRX's suspension in not iuned by any means, but it will be for this season. Anyway last year I was running with a new F7 and a 99 zr 700. Both have alot of travel. The only place they would get away from me was the big bumps...only because I just couldn't hold on anymore...because of the arm pump. Even though they would get me in the rough stuff....I'd always pull back up to them when the trails where a little smother and tighter. They have no comparision in the twisties.

Just my 2 cents.....because I know I don't know everything 8)

I was doing research for my broken w-arm and came across this topic.

I agree 1000% that the Pro-Action skid is not a mogul crusher, especially the SRX suspension.

Before the w-arm broke yesterday, I rode with F7, ZRT800, T-Cat Mountain, and Formula III 700. As usual we all switched off during the ride. Everyone (include the die-hard cat riders) couldnt believe how the SRX handled in the trails. Deep powder sled it is not, but it plain kicks ass on the trails! The guy riding the F7 loved the SRX on the trails. Comment, "The F7 is too tippy".

I too get tired of the comments about the SRX in general. It does not do all things great, but it does what it was designed for the best. Hands down! Everyone thinks that the lake drag is the measure of the sled and manufacturer. I went through that phase, and now am secure enought to know I am not going to beat a good running T-Cat. Let's go to the twisties! Of course, no one wants to talk about that.

Now, why the hell didnt Yammi design the W-Arm better! I had a 96XT that kept breaking the arm until I reinforced the shit out of it. Now same thing here, after 400miles (better design than in 96, but still flawed?). Maybe it is a maintenance item? Replace at XXXX miles?

Later.

SRXdude said:
I was doing research for my broken w-arm and came across this topic.

I agree 1000% that the Pro-Action skid is not a mogul crusher, especially the SRX suspension.

Before the w-arm broke yesterday, I rode with F7, ZRT800, T-Cat Mountain, and Formula III 700. As usual we all switched off during the ride. Everyone (include the die-hard cat riders) couldnt believe how the SRX handled in the trails. Deep powder sled it is not, but it plain kicks ass on the trails! The guy riding the F7 loved the SRX on the trails. Comment, "The F7 is too tippy".

I too get tired of the comments about the SRX in general. It does not do all things great, but it does what it was designed for the best. Hands down! Everyone thinks that the lake drag is the measure of the sled and manufacturer. I went through that phase, and now am secure enought to know I am not going to beat a good running T-Cat. Let's go to the twisties! Of course, no one wants to talk about that.

Now, why the hell didnt Yammi design the W-Arm better! I had a 96XT that kept breaking the arm until I reinforced the shit out of it. Now same thing here, after 400miles (better design than in 96, but still flawed?). Maybe it is a maintenance item? Replace at XXXX miles?

Later.

you need to reinforce the W-arm when you weld it if you're having problems with it braking

comparing an SRX to a Tcat is like comparing a corvette to a cuda. the vette is made to things OTHER than go in a straight line, but it can do that to!

and comparing it to an F7 is like comparing it to a 1 ton truck, or a jeep, made for COMPLETELY different things, not comparable at all

a well set-up SRX can do more or less anything, the big exception here is powder, they can bang ditch, they can run right next to a Tcat across the lake, and they can make a fool out of everyone in the twisty's.

and powder they CAN do, but it's big mods, look what the big iron mountain sleds from yamaha are starting from.

but ya, every sled has it's problems, 30lbs silencer is one, that heavy tunnel is another, W-arm breakage is one, but look at what the others are releasing, the new 700's 800's are lucky to make it to 3000 miles. there was a cat dealer near me that had an average F7 motor lifespan of 300 miles during there first winter, but another one that hasn't put a motor in an F7 yet, difference being set-ups and preventative maintenance.

talk to the racers about them, they are real happy about the mod CDI-boxes yes, but how happy are they with the cracking pipes or the breaking slide rails?

:yam: I have a 98SRX & i RIDE WITH F7,ZR,& REV'S.My susupension is set so good that i can litterally follow & push those guys in the roughest trails we have here.The proaction is asweet skid once you learn how to set it up.Many times I thought of putting a M10 or Xpert but listen to the people out there you got to set it up to what you like.But if you listen to the boys in here beleive me you'll get her dial in very good.I thought I knew alot being a sledder for over 30 years & I was wrong.Learned alot from these guys so give a try....... ;)!

SRX setup

Ok then, whos going to wright the book on how to setup the SRX?
i just put viper shocks in the rear of mine (last year) and that alone made a huge diff. Now i just want to get it dialed in.

Nelson

sledder, for $350 you can put a Maxx travel rear skid kit in the SRX. It works very, very good. I have several friends that have done them on the '99 SX500, a '98 SRX 600 and a '98 SRX 700. They all ride sooo much better. I would do that in a heart beat. My friend in Minnesota does a ton of them at his perfomance shop w/ alot of happy customers.

Back