My Viper Story

jtssrx

I like DirkDiggler
Most of you know I used to ride a SRX. As a matter of fact I had 3. In the fall of 2002 I bought a RX-1. In fall of 2005 I bought an Attack. I was only able to put 500 miles on the attack last winter. It was very disappointing. The combination of a poor winter and new son led to the low mileage so I decided to sell the attack. The attack was sold but I still wanted to have a sled. I've always been a huge fan of Lake racing but I've never owned a sled that was strictly setup for it. It's always been a last minute switch to a speed track on a trail sled and then you never really compete with the fast guys.

So I decided to go back to a 2 stroke. I started looking at Vipers, SRX's, and F7's "yuk". I found a really nice F7 that ran 6.0 in 660 but the price was too high. I had a lot of time on the SRX and there were a couple very nice ones around. However they are on the heavy side and you can't really make big power with them unless you spend big bucks. Then a 1000cc Hot-to-go Viper came available . I wanted it and I wanted it bad. However it was in Maine. I had no way of knowing how well it actually ran so I backed out of the buy. All along I had been looking a Viper in Ohio. It was an 02 with 3800 miles. It had Ported Cylinders, CPR Pipes, and Mega Power heads. The guy had it listed for 2800.00. We spoke a couple times and he was hot to sell it. I ended up making him an offer of 2200.00 He countered with 2400.00 and I ended up paying 2300.00.

On November 18th I went to pick it up. It was a nice sled but it was pretty dirty. I have a friend that details show cars as a hobby. He took it and basically turned it back to show room condition.

The next step was finding out what kind of power it made. The first thing I did was dump the CPR pipes for a set of SLP. I know the CPR pipes work great but they are just much of a pain to get into the chassis. The SLP's fit and finish is second to none in my book for an after market pipe. I had Custom Concepts Ceramic Coat the pipes, the Can as well as powder coat my Trailing Arms and radius rods. Then I did a leak down and compression test. The motor was solid across the bard with very little leak down and it pulled 145 pounds of compression across the board.

I was looking for someone to Dyno the motor and setup the chassis. I've known a Guy "Joe Haack" for a lot of years and he has a dyno. He has a shop in North Branch Michigan and He's setup some quick sleds in the area including a very quick Viper and Super charged RX-1. He agreed to work on my sled so I took it to his shop. I had him Install a Speed track, Lower the rear skid and front suspension, and run it on the DYNO.

We ran it on the Dyno and made about 153hp on the first pull. The jetting was very rich and the SLP pipes where signing off at about 8800 rpms. I mean they flat out fell on there face. Joe spent a lot of time rejetting the carbs and modifying the air-box. He was able to make about 158hp and over 100 pound of torque "on safe jetting" with trail type wash. I'm guessing with spot on race jetting the motor would make 160 to 162 which is where Mega Power Mark said it should be. All in all I was very Happy.

So Now all I needed was some ice. About 3 weeks ago some people claimed they where running sleds on Lake st Helen and on Houghton lake for Tip up town. We decided to head up. Well the sled flat out didn't want to go. It had a terrible lean bog and bad hole shot. I played with it as much as I could but no improvement. We loaded up and came home. I talked to Allen Ulmer "srxspec" and Mike Hyman "buster696" and they suggested I go to a 55 pilot. I rejetted my carbs including lower the mains and headed out the next weekend. The nice thing was Anchor Bay was ridable and it's 10 minutes from my house. I got out there and the lean bog was all but gone but the Rpm's wouldn't settle down after a run. The hole shot was still bad and I noticed my track was about 3 inchs off the ground in the rear.

I started playing with the clutching and I had a base line sled to run against. Neon Phil bought a 04 RX-1. He threw a speed track in it. It's got Filters and clutching so it runs pretty well. The First couple races I was only a sled length out on him. He made some changes and we were about even he might have even had a ski on me. So I decided to change my hole clutch setup. I pulled out the heavy hitters and went to a set of Heel Clicker 2 speed weights with a Red Heel clicker spring. I also threw in a 56/40 helix. I made some solo passes and added some weight to the heels and called Phil out to run again. Well we ran two times with the same result my sled was a solid 4 sleds in front of him both times. I was pretty happy with that so I loaded up and went home. The clutching wasn't great and the sled was over revving but it was better and I had some ideas I would try the next time out.

Now it's Friday night a week later "2/2/2007". I decided make some changes to the sled. I wanted to get the rear skid flat on the ground. Plus I wanted the other mains back in as well as turn my fuel screws out to three full turns from two full turns. I went to look at the straps and My hyfax were gone. When I say gone I mean burned all the was through from the bend to the back of the rail. It had been that was for a while to because the front the rail was slightly eaten away. I pulled the hyfax off and looked at the front shock. Well the reason it wouldn't sit flat was we never loosened the front shock and the strap where pulled up as far as they could go so They where fighting each other. I took all the pre-load off the shock and installed a new set of hyfax. Now the sled was sitting flatter. Then I pulled off my Primary and went to the Grey Heel clicker spring. I also went to a strait 47 degree helix. The previous week I went from the 47 to a 56/40. I wanted to work with a strait and try to get the primary right before I played with a multi angle.

I called Joe and asked him to come out as work with me on the setup. We got out to the lake and that other Viper he setup was there. Joe jumped on my sled and went and ran That other Viper. Well My sled got it's *** kicked real bad. So he put it back on the railer right away. He wanted to go to a Multi angle helix and a different secondary spring. Took it back out and it ran better but it was really over revving. So we started trowing weight at it. the more we threw at it the more it would take. So he raced that other viper and he was about even on him depending on the launch and he was pulling past him on the top if they held it longer. The sled was flat out flying. Scott the owner of the other viper left and we added a little more weight to it. So Joe went out to run it again. He pulled up to 2 lower and race read t cats, a turbo Apex and and Turbo Rx-1. I ran down to the finish line and see the results. The flag dropped and they all came out hard. after 300 feet Joe was in front of everyone. So I'm thinking well they are going to pull him right WRONG. He motors them all and drives away from them. They line up again and the same result. He kicked there asses!!!! We loaded it up and headed home.

I took the sled out for two hours on Sunday and had the same results. I'm a lot heaver then Joe "80 pounds" So I wasn't able to pull Scott's viper on the big end but if I got a good start we where always ski to Ski. I also beat several 800,900, and 1000cc sleds. I couldn't be more happy with how the little 700cc Viper is Running.

I want to personally thank Joe Haack for his help on the project. Without your help Saturday I would still be running behind Scott. I don't think I would have thrown that much weight at the sled.

Last edited:

Wow long story, but good. Glad to see the viper is finally running strong. I have suffered and still suffering from some of the same issues. I going to take the Summer to get it right by using a dyno. Anytime you see a viper running that strong it's gotta turn heads.

by the way how did they react to the *** whooping? LOL

Allvipedup said:
Wow long story, but good. Glad to see the viper is finally running strong. I have suffered and still suffering from some of the same issues. I going to take the Summer to get it right by using a dyno. Anytime you see a viper running that strong it's gotta turn heads.

by the way how did they react to the *** whooping? LOL

People don't think it's a 700 that's how they react. They've been saying Scott's viper is a 800 for years. Joe did all the work on that sled to. If you want I can set you up with Joe. He's a great guy and probably an Hour from you.

Jason awesome story.Ypu should post pics again so people know what thesled looked like before you budy detailer it that was impressive enough.Ryan

pro116 said:
Jason awesome story.Ypu should post pics again so people know what thesled looked like before you budy detailer it that was impressive enough.Ryan

Ryan the sad thing is all I have is after Pics. I never thought to take before's. But I will post the after pics along with the pics of it completed

PIcs

Project pics after it was cleaned

Attachments

• 122_2240 (Medium).JPG
    122_2240 (Medium).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 30
  • 122_2241 (Medium).JPG
    122_2241 (Medium).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 122_2243 (Medium).JPG
    122_2243 (Medium).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 122_2244 (Medium).JPG
    122_2244 (Medium).JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 122_2245 (Medium).JPG
    122_2245 (Medium).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 51
More

More of the befores

Attachments

• 122_2246 (Medium).JPG
    122_2246 (Medium).JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 122_2250 (Medium).JPG
    122_2250 (Medium).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 31
Here are the Finished Product pics

Attachments

• 123_2340 (Medium).JPG
    123_2340 (Medium).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 123_2339 (Medium).JPG
    123_2339 (Medium).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 123_2338 (Medium).JPG
    123_2338 (Medium).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 123_2337 (Medium).JPG
    123_2337 (Medium).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 123_2336 (Medium).JPG
    123_2336 (Medium).JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 38
Here are the Finished Product pics "last two"

Attachments

• 123_2341 (Medium).JPG
    123_2341 (Medium).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 123_2342 (Medium).JPG
    123_2342 (Medium).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 32
Does that thing squeek when you touch it? Good god that's clean! I may need that hook up, but right now, I feel pretty confident, that Larry Fang of Doc. Fang Racing is on the same page as Joe, except closer to home. Larry mentioned alot of the same mods and set you did.

I need $$$$ first. Actually the first step is a new damn track and step down in gearing!!!! Then head Mod or wondering if I should go for the Mega Power Head or something else instead? then it's bored carbs and porting (mild). Doc. just did this fro another Viper and it dynoed at 165HP on pump gas and still gets above 120 miles per tank, well I'd like to see that part, but good numbers anyway.

I am intersted in getting hooked up with your detail buddy. How much do you think to go over the whole sled and polish up the tunnel?

Last edited:
Allvipedup said:
Does that thing squeek when you touch it? Good god that's clean! I may need that hook up, but right now, I feel pretty confident, that Larry Fang of Doc. Fang Racing is on the same page as Joe, except closer to home. Larry mentioned alot of the same mods and set you did.

I need $$$$ first. Actually the first step is a new damn track and step down in gearing!!!! Then head Mod or wondering if I should go for the Mega Power Head or something else instead? then it's bored carbs and porting (mild). Doc. just did this fro another Viper and it dynoed at 165HP on pump gas and still gets above 120 miles per tank, well I'd like to see that part, but good numbers anyway.

I am intersted in getting hooked up with your detail buddy. How much do you think to go over the whole sled and polish up the tunnel?

I did my own tunnel polish. But he will get the tunnel completely stripped. It will be shinny but you would have to make in Mirror like. It's would cost you 75.00 to get it completely cleaned. You have to pull the carbs and Pipes. I took the seat off but you need to bring it along. He cleans and conditions it.

Let me know if you want to do it. I'll get his number

The Bored Carbs are probably what's holding me back from making in the mid 160's for power on paper.

jts,
Great Job getting the sled running. ;)! Keep up the great work... Now, baby steps from your baseline will keep you out in front. Attention to detail and a commitment to keeping that things running will keep a smile on your face from this winter to the end of summer. And most of all Have Fun!!!

--Buster696--
:rockon:

Sounds like you are having a good time with your viper. I haven't had the greatest luck with mine. Can't wait for lake city next weekend though. By the way, it sounds like I will have to do alot of work this week to even see your taillight next weekend. I assume that you are coming. I will have my viper there and dad with have both of his sleds there. It sould be a good day for the 2-stroke/naturally aspirated/no juice yamaha's

sxr-x said:
Sounds like you are having a good time with your viper. I haven't had the greatest luck with mine. Can't wait for lake city next weekend though. By the way, it sounds like I will have to do alot of work this week to even see your taillight next weekend. I assume that you are coming. I will have my viper there and dad with have both of his sleds there. It sould be a good day for the 2-stroke/naturally aspirated/no juice yamaha's

Ya Right. I know your sled is faster then mine. Jeff told me how good you and your dad are running. My Viper has nothing for a big bore Viper.

I just think the Vipers run real good when they are dialed in right. But that doesn't mean I can run with a sled making 20 plus hp more.

I'll be there. Can't wait to hang with you guys

nice viper you have i am in the process of cleaning mine up. it will brand new when i get done. next year i will have a srx to play with out on the lake.

Attachments

• p motor (2).jpg
    p motor (2).jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 19
  • p pipe (2).jpg
    p pipe (2).jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 17
This a Great old post worth bringing back up, I just bought a viper and love the story of yours running so well, Awesome looking and running viper you got there.

Back