cops say no can man

bluewho

110 dollar fine for after market mufflers in ontario!!!Even the bender can is to loud as my budy found out.

It's not that it's too loud its the fact that the exhaust is modified. Exhaust modifications of any kind are not legal in Ontario, doesn't matter how loud it is.

they tried to give my dad a ticket once for having tripples on his 01 tcat but they had to let him go when he proved it came that way from factory. They wouldn't believe him for nothing

same in quebec friggen stupid, you could get a ticket with a srx pipes in viper even though its quieter.

also it is even iligal to sell aftermkt or modified exhausts if you live in quebec. #$%&*

Dave_Vmax600 said:
i have been using my aaen pipe for 2 years now and i have passed cops....never pulled over. i even have a sticker on the side of my sled saying AAEN performance exhaust
You will have a hard time this year!!They have the right and will inpound your sled if you give them attitude so i am told.

not sure you would win but fight the ticket in court .did they have a decible meter with them?if you go by their logic then midas ,walker and everybody else should not be in business.had the same thing happen a few years ago with a factory stock car ,sure made him eat his words ,and no ticket.if you can or have the time off always fight it ,they dont always win .nor do they always lose.

cougar1985 said:
not sure you would win but fight the ticket in court .did they have a decible meter with them?if you go by their logic then midas ,walker and everybody else should not be in business.had the same thing happen a few years ago with a factory stock car ,sure made him eat his words ,and no ticket.if you can or have the time off always fight it ,they dont always win .nor do they always lose.

even if they had a way to measure the sound its the fact that its illegal to modify your original exhaust system..he would still loose

:2strokes: :whine: if you go to midas is that not non orginal?orginal exhausts do burn out and are also not availble anymore,are you suppose to sell your vehicle just because its not made anymore?mybe in his particular case he may have a hard time but lets say im out on my 1979 intruder (kawasiki) they do not make exhaust pipes for it anymore? damn right id fight it in court!dont get me wrong,i dont like loud pipes on my sled but in ontario your buying a legal product sold even at the dealer in some cases.and if there not legal id be asking why you can buy it to the judge.lets face it some pipes are too loud and maybe should only be used for racing ,and some cops can be just plain pricks!while others are just fine with it as long as your not making a nuisence out of yourself.my kawi is louder with its old exhust then my 600 vmax is and ive never been stopped for anything atall.of course its also still a factory stock system so id be damned if id stand by and just pay the fine.see you in court and hope the judge is a sledder lol.also there is a difference in exhaust modifications and non-factory replacement.

Last edited:
that is my logic too cougar. if my stock system craps out and i buy lets say a kimpex replacement it's not stock, but probably just as quiet so is that illegal too? just cause it's not stock. i have a can on my srx and i got stopped before lucky i just got a 24 hour warning. when i went back after changing it it was some woman cop who knew nothing about sleds that checked it she didn't even make me start the sled i could have left the old one on and she never would have known the difference. I have tripples on my dad's sxr and the can on my srx if i get stopped i'll just fight it and argue that it should be done by decible readings not if it's stock or not. I even used a decible meter after the cop stopped me to see the difference between the cans and at the most my can was 3 decibles louder than stock.

Good thread guys. I know I'd love to put triple pipes on my Viper, but with the risk of getting a ticket (and the extra gas) I’m not sure isn't worth it. I even thought of buying some Yamaha heat shields from an SRX and putting them on the aftermarket pipes to disguise the fact that they were not stock. I agree with the car analogy, but remember they do have to pass an emission test which helps to attest that the system is performing similar to the stock system. And yes I know a louder exhaust system can still pass an emissions test.

It's an interesting topic anyway and I would definitely fight it in court. The amended act now mentions nothing about noise; it simply states that it can't be gutted or by-passed.

"Equipment requirements - Muffler in working order
18. (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation and no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which has a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon the motorized snow vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (1)."

Where they try to get you now is the part about modifying parts that were required by law at the time of manufacturing.

"Removing or modifying any component
(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2)."

If you replaced the original with aftermarket, you aren't modifying (the original component), or rendering it inoperative. I would also argue that as there is still an exhaust system on it, the required component has not been removed. That said, you'd still have to run the new pipes to a silencer (not stingers), as that was a required component as well. I think if you could show the judge that it was +/- a few DB compared to stock, he would let you off. Keep'em quiet though, there is really no need for a lot of noise.
:postwhore

great infor Yamerdown. My Aaen pipes are not that loud in the trail for normal riding.
But when I hammer down on the lake you can hear me comming. If they start enforcing this all Harley bikes better be ticketed, as well as these little Japanese cars that use after market muflers to make then sound fast. There are some grey areas in the way it is written. My old Polaris 650 with stock exhaust was louder then my piped SXR.

I ride up north quebec mostly and I've got a bender can on my srx and an aftermarket exhaust on my f7.We've been stop and never ticketed as long as your not brapping your sled in town and asking for trouble you won't be bothered.This year when we got stop the only sled they asked to open the hood was my buddies rev wish still as th e factory eshaust and I was on my f7 and my wife had the srx and no problem.
even her th opp are pretty anal when it comes to noise bylaw and still haven't been stop for noise even when they got me fro speeding.

cougar1985 said:
:2strokes: :whine: if you go to midas is that not non orginal?orginal exhausts do burn out and are also not availble anymore,are you suppose to sell your vehicle just because its not made anymore?mybe in his particular case he may have a hard time but lets say im out on my 1979 intruder (kawasiki) they do not make exhaust pipes for it anymore? damn right id fight it in court!dont get me wrong,i dont like loud pipes on my sled but in ontario your buying a legal product sold even at the dealer in some cases.and if there not legal id be asking why you can buy it to the judge.lets face it some pipes are too loud and maybe should only be used for racing ,and some cops can be just plain pricks!while others are just fine with it as long as your not making a nuisence out of yourself.my kawi is louder with its old exhust then my 600 vmax is and ive never been stopped for anything atall.of course its also still a factory stock system so id be damned if id stand by and just pay the fine.see you in court and hope the judge is a sledder lol.also there is a difference in exhaust modifications and non-factory replacement.

as an example i dont know about ontario but here in quebec the cops really like to piss off. so i had a 1992 vw gti my muffler was done so i went to midas they didnt have my muffler so they fit another model on ok everything is good. well 2 weeks after i got stopped by cops and he sent my car for inspection. right away the muffler didnt pass. they said it was modified and not the original and they also told me if i could not find original vw muffler like was on it before i could not drive it.so yes they can tell you that you cant drive your car if you dont have the proper exhaust systems. and for sleds here in quebec its just as bad this year so far ive been stopped a couple of times to check and see whats under my hood,,if they find something modified they are taking away the sled or giving a big fine..why you ask?

well thanks to other idiots that ruin it for us that are always making noise afterhours on trails close to houses. some people just cant take it easy so we all have to pay for it.

P:S i know in quebec its now illegal to sell modified pipes so byebye to that stuff

like usuall everything gets ruined for us..next we will have to pass a special license to snowmobile

but my question is how do these police/patrolers know that the pipes arent stock? cant you just stamp a yamaha sign in it:)

Back