tickets in Paradise mi

paulw

I don't no if this is the right place to talk about this, but did anyone get any tickets in Paradise, Mi last weekend? There's three of us from two different groups got careless driving tickets form the local sheriffs. I would normally just pay the ticket, but this time it's different. We usually ride pretty fast and at this time we were maybe going 40MPH. They pulled us over sayed we were on the wrong side of the trail and wrote us tickets. While we were sitting there they stopped three more people and wrote them up. To keep it short the officer said it was up to his discretion whether we were in violation. If we could get enough people together we could fight this. I pretty sure they wrote over a 100 tickets on saturday. I'm telling you if your sixty year mom ar dad was on the trail they could get a ticket from this officer. Please pass it on.

Thats just uncalled for,ya know these place are hurting for money and
this is the only way they can get it, it's bull #$%&* !!!,with out the tourist
where would that place be, i know of that place ,we were there this fall stopping threw on our whay back from the canada train ride..

If anyone knows or hears of someone who got a ticket, please get with me. This ticket is $150. I know of three people right now who got ticketed and tommorrow will have a list of from the court of all the people ticketed. I plan to get a lawyer and fight this.

The first thing that came to my head when i read the post title---

"I got two tickets in Paradise!" -Eddie Money :rofl:

After almost having my head taken off on the trail from Paradise to the Falls by a dumb *** flying over one of the hills on the wrong side of the trail last year, I'm happy to see the area being patroled. Every time we go down that trail there are a couple of near misses. The traffic is heavy because of everyone heading to the falls and the hills are very inviting for jumping. A dangerous combination when the jack offs that can't stay on their own side of the trail are out in force.

I suspect there's more to your story than just a couple of fellas out tooling around doing a little bird watching and getting harrassed by "the man". The local police are as aware as anyone what the financial impact snowmobilers have on the local economy. They're there to ensure the safety of the trails not bother the tourists pumping money into the local businesses.

Im with Greg, ride safe and legal you wont get a ticket..IMO.

By the way...I have had plenty of tickets in my time! I pout, pay and play!

O ya, I would like to take this time to Apologize to the group of polaris and arctic cat riders that I passed in the U.P. a couple weeks ago. I didnt mean to scare them when I passed them around 100+ mph with the turbo yelling out the back of my sled..... :offtopic:

Last edited:
That may be true what Bisch said, but there are cops out there that abuse
the law and that's crap,,,,you can tell when someone is riding wreakless
or not come on.......

Yes, it good to see some security on the trail, but frivolous tickets are uncalled for. Where was the bacon when they spotted you? He must have seen you go over the double yellow. You should have sat on the right side of your sled and told them your from Europe.

Robo cop

Another reason I stayed out of the UP this year. I got harassed in Gr Marais last year. It was a Totally discretionary ticket. Robo DNR Officer Rambo was rather unfriendly about it like we were a bother to him.

I for one have a family and want safety rules enforced, but there are times when signs need to be placed to warn people to stop a behavior rather than generate a revenue stream for local gvt and create alot of badwill (opposite of goodwill) with those who spend at local businesses.

I choose to avoid places that run a high risk of spoilage of my fun. A ticket really spoils my fun. I have heard other stories about UP problems and most of them happen within or very close to towns. I have only had one snowmbile related ticket in my life, and I really feel that it was not appropriate despite being within the "discretion" of the bozo handing it out.

Warning, slightly off topic... :offtopic:

Sounds like the guy who got the ticket for not buckling his helmet. For God's sake, it's HIS freaking life he is risking - bugger off. Don't wanna wear a seatbelt? Okay, it's your face gonna hit the tree.

I rant... but I am frustated with the direction of our freedoms in this country and sometimes get a little passionate about loss of freedom. Keep the USA free, but reasonably safe from idiots. Balance.

There is a group that I see in Iowa that ride Eagle River area. Reasoning, they can stop every 5-10 minutes and spend an hour drinking. And there are alot of guys like them up there. So random stops are okay by me. And as for tickets, well I would say a good portion are for reason.

I flew down a road passing maxdlx and viperdave. Didnt realize a speedlimit sign was posted. My faul, so if I were to get a ticket....it would suck, but I had it coming.

If a sign is posted, stay on your side of the trail and there are many of those...then stay on your side or expect a chance for a ticket. There is a reason signs are posted.

The signs are missed or ignored, it happends and you have to pay the price.

This is all my opinion! :rocks:

fightin' tickets

Not to get off topic anymore about abuses of power, or whether more rules are good, or if it's a good idea to down a fifth of Jack then blast around on a 150 HP sled, why not tell us how wide the trail was, where you were in relation to the "center", and some specific details as to why you feel cheated.

If you have a large group of others ticketed that feel the same way, then your recourse would be to file a complaint in the official channels against the officer writing the ticket. Was there more than one officer? Are all of them totally Nazi? Once the complaints pour in, use that to discredit the officer or you will not win. If not many complaints, just pay up and never go back if you still feel cheated. You could contact the local BBB or chamber and let them know of your decision.

Then you have to figure out why that area was targeted. Was there recently someone killed on the trail in that area? All of these things come into play when you try to fight a ticket. Is it worth your time, gas, stress to fight it?

Hard to win against a local hero cop in a jokel court room with Cousin Jeb the Magistrate who never studied law. Bring yer banjo. Sorry... old memory trying to get my security deposit back when I went to school in da UP.

One individual has no power at all except in civil court, but if the people unite, you can change laws, fix wrongs, and do great things still in the good old USA. At least for now. I'd hate to see peolpe unite to deny access to trails..... MAN do I get off topic easily...

Guys, We were going into a blind left turn at about 40 mph. We didn't even get around the corner and he had his lights on. We were on our side of the trail. There was two of us and I was just arond the corner and could have been hit. They had us pull ahead not even 50'. Your grandma would have been issued a ticket. They had two more people ticket while we were there. By the way the officer told us he wouldn't bother us if we were going 100mph in the staightaways. Please if anyone hears of people being ticket please get with me. Thanks.

I think going into a blind corner at 40MPH is way too fast. I took my 16 year old daughter out on the trails last week. Every time I came to a corner I felt I had to slow to about 10 - 15 mph to make sure someone else wasn't coming the other way across their side of the trail. When we would meet traffic I would slow to almost a crawl or a stop and pull off the side of the trail. It seems that many of the people that we pass on the trail going the other direction have no regard for others on the trail. I was more afraid of her getting hit by another snowmobile than I was of her getting hit by a car crossing roads. Many of the snowmobilers up here are so inconsiderate that the locals don't even want to go out on the trails. Enforcement has to start somewhere. If it continues like it has been the trails will just be closed. Harvey is a good example of that. We just got trails reopened there. If the speeds thru there continue to be a problem the trial will just be closed. I don't think there is enough enforcement for the number of riders we have up here. Sorry it had to be you that got caught.

Just about every ticket I have ever got, I deserved - don't have many, and none on the snowmobile, but all the others I pretty much had it coming - be an adult and pay the ticket and quit doing what you were doing when you got the ticket. The poor guy that I ride with, won't even ride trails anymore it's gotten so bad, I see a lot of "snowcross" wannabees on the trail trying to live out there snowcross dreams by landing on my hood.

Back