PayPal scam????

ModMMax

Opened my hotmail this morning and read an email from PayPal. It said that a charge of $350 usd had been made to my account and that it would be charged to my credit card unless I disputed it. My mail had quaranteened a portion of the email so I did not see all of it but I suspect there was a form to fill out with personal information. I did not make the purchase and am not worried if it shows up on my credit card since I have protection from fraud on my cards. Several questions. Does PayPal regularily email members to confirm purchases? Has anyone seen this before and is it a scam? I do not know how to get a hold of PayPal. If anyone has contact info, please provide it so I can follow this up.
Alvin

Looks like a scam man!
Don't click on the link. I have had some emails from "Paypal" that looked authentic, but indeed were scams. I would go onto paypal.com and log in to check your account info.
All REAL e-mails I get from paypal have my name at the top. If it reads "Dear paypal member" or "Paypal user" don't open it. They have your personal info already! Same with EBAY. Yes Paypal e-mails you after a purchase WITH YOUR NAME AT THE TOP OF THE E-MAIL!. Another thing you could do is forward the e-mail to paypal and they can deal with it. PAYPAL.COM.

My buddy is a PowerSeller on ebay, and he tells me theres a bunch of ways to run scams with paypal and ebay. Not saying he does but with his computer skills, I d**n well know he could if he wanted to. Thats why he told me if ya dont want to waste your time and/or money just send a MO and thats exactly what I do. Have had absolutely no problems when sending a MO. I'll never punch my credit card number on ANY computer, have had a few friends lose BANK ACCOUNTS cause of it. Too many people out there just wanting your $$$$, and have the computer skills to do so.

But I'll ask my buddy about your questions and see what he says.

I've been using credit cards on the internet since 1998 and have never had a problem. I've gotten several phishing emails supposedly from "Paypal" over the years and I've reported them all. I also got one that claimed to be from eBay once too where they said I needed to login and update my personal information that was a fake too. They specifically mentioned my credit card but at the time I didn't have one on file with eBay, so that one was real easy to spot. One of the easiest ways to see if you're on an actual Paypal site is to look at the address, it'll always say https like https://www.paypal.com/ The s after the http means it's a secure site (I'm sure most of you already knew that but some might not). They say "The most powerful computers currently available can break 40-bit encryption within hours whereas to break 128-bit encryption by brute force would take them much longer than the expected lifetime of the universe.". Paypal uses 128 bit encryption so... ;)!

log right on to your paypal account if it is legit it will be there. Don't trust emails. Maxdlx

maxdlx said:
log right on to your paypal account if it is legit it will be there. Don't trust emails. Maxdlx
I AGREE!!
I contacted paypal before about an issue like this and they told me that it was a spoof and to ignore it, like maxdlx said if there was a transactoin it will show up on you transaction page in paypal. Tracy

I receive emails from PAypal fraud, and credit card frauds every day, the funny thing about these emails, is that all the info looks real, the only mistake I can see is(here's the kivker) I don't have a pay[al account nor the credit card accounts there emailing me with. How funny is that?

it's called phishing - they send official looking emails to you asking for you to confirm info so that they can log into your accounts. Paypal actually has a place for you to forward the email.

woolyviper said:
it's called phishing - they send official looking emails to you asking for you to confirm info so that they can log into your accounts. Paypal actually has a place for you to forward the email.

There is also Pharming. Hacker plants a virus in your computer that will change www.paypal.com to www.paypal2jklfa.com or something similar that is not paypal. Once the website loads, it will look just like Paypal and then it's fish in a barrel. ALWAYS check the link in the address bar, never go to Paypal or Ebay from a link or "Favorite".

spoof@ebay.com - report fake ebay e-mails.
spoof@paypal.com - report fake Paypal e-mails.

Back