Doo meltdown at Demo Ride

YooperMike

So I was over on the Doo-talk forum (don't hate me) just crusing through some stuff and came across a thread that started like this:

"Well I love my rev and I am very excited about the new 2008 lineup. I signed up for the Doo demo ride in Brimley Michigan this weekend but could not go. I just got off the phone with my buddies up in Brimley and this is what I was told.
SkiDoo only had ONE sled to demo (there are 60 customers up there right now) it was the 800-R Rev-XP the first ride it had a lean midrange failure. It had a complete motor meltdown! another 800 bites the dust in front of 60 would be buyers. Nice job Ski Doo. Oh buy the way there were several new Yamahas there so all the Ski Doo guys are talking about how sweet the new Yamahas are. What a disaster. Does Ski Doo need help in the Michigan area showing there customers that they give a sh*t about customer service. I will do it for gods sake."

The thread then went on to say that a new Yammi towed it back to their trailer...bad for Ski-doo, but it kind of brought a smile to my face. :D

102.png

Bet they hate it when that happens ;)

A buddy of mine picked up a 07 Mach Z & paid for the extended warranty, The begining of this season he picked up a rattle in the motor, Had it into the dealer where purchased twice for the rattle & they told him it was normal & not to worry. 3 days after picking up the sled he went for a after work ride with the guys...... The mighty Z died on trail locked up tight. Dragged the sled back to the dealer & 2 weeks later they called him to come & get his sled because it was finished, So Tom asked how much the deductable was. Guy says Sorry Tom but Doo will not cover it because you did not have record of seasonal maintnence done & the price for the NEW motor & labor was $3800.00!

Long & short of it after calling & pitching a bitch Doo ate the parts but he still had to pay the labor. :(

Sorry Doo but the 2-Strokes are done no matter how much you try & doll them up!

I ride with guy's with 800r doos, Dragons, M7 and 8's. They don't play with each other. They come after me, I'm the bench mark and I love IT. Don't get me wrong they are really good sleds, but not that better to an old Yamaha that keeps going and going and etc. They want to race for 600 feet, if that doesn't work lets try a 1,000. If they lose both races then it's go for high mark. I'll keep my sled for a year or so, not ready to say uncle yet.

Last edited:
I do not like to see the competitors have problems like this. Especially when the engineering is sound but the supplier's screw it up. It lets Yamaha relax a little and we know we don't want that. We want them to keep pushing forward with technology so that the products get better and better. I also do not like to bash the other guys when they are down. It WILL come back to haunt you. The technology that Doo has engineered recently is almost as impressive as what Yamaha has done, but the delivery has been seriously flawed in certain areas. To me that is a shame, and not good for the industry as a whole. I sure hope they get their engine issues straightened out. This industry needs several healthy manufacturers.

^^^^^^^^^^
Couldn't agree more. It seems that motors blowing on brand new sleds is common now and everyone accepts it for some reason like there's nothing wrong with it happening. The truth is, it's a BIG problem and I for one can't believe that people put up with it when they're paying 10-12K for these new machines.

Bushman said:
Bet they hate it when that happens ;)

A buddy of mine picked up a 07 Mach Z & paid for the extended warranty, The begining of this season he picked up a rattle in the motor, Had it into the dealer where purchased twice for the rattle & they told him it was normal & not to worry. 3 days after picking up the sled he went for a after work ride with the guys...... The mighty Z died on trail locked up tight. Dragged the sled back to the dealer & 2 weeks later they called him to come & get his sled because it was finished, So Tom asked how much the deductable was. Guy says Sorry Tom but Doo will not cover it because you did not have record of seasonal maintnence done & the price for the NEW motor & labor was $3800.00!

Long & short of it after calling & pitching a bitch Doo ate the parts but he still had to pay the labor. :(

Sorry Doo but the 2-Strokes are done no matter how much you try & doll them up!

I would have made the dealer eat the labor after having it in there twice. I would have come unglued! Damn that sucks

That was fun to read.
I like how a bunch of them defended the meltdown by saying it was a prototype.
No one mentioned that none of the "prototype" Yami's blowed up.
LMAO

A K MtnViper said:
I ride with guy's with 800r doos, Dragons, M7 and 8's. They don't play with each other. They come after me, I'm the bench mark and I love IT. Don't get me wrong they are really good sleds, but not that better to an old Yamaha that keeps going and going and etc. They want to race for 600 feet, if that doesn't work lets try a 1,000. If they lose both races then it's go for high mark. I'll keep my sled for a year or so, not ready to say uncle yet.

You need to keep in mind that Yamaha didn't build your sled, you did. And that's the beauty of buying a sled and building it to the way you want. My 02 Viper is now a 136 with an M10 and Precisions. Yamaha probably still hasn't built anything this good. My 01 MXz 800 is now a 136 with M10, ported, Dynoport pipe, reeds, RKTek head, clutching, jetting, Boss seat, Rox riser, etc., etc, etc. The M10 in this is dialed in, and I've fiddled with the Precisons until they absolutely rail. Both of these machines are good benchmarks for newer machines, but neither Yamaha nor Ski-doo is responsible for how good they are. Pull those triple pipes off your machine and see if anyone considers it a benchmark. ( except fot how long it'll last )

Is this for sure true?

If so, it's really sad when your demonstrating your NEW and IMPROVED and it just poops all over the bed. That is a PR nightmare...Yikes! That has already been posted all over the forums. I'm sorry to say but there is absolutley no excuse for that. They are demo sleds not prototypes. These, at the very least should have been set up a hair conservative to help prevent this. Ding's right though, it's too bad and they may need to DOO some PR catchup.

fasttoys17 said:
I would have made the dealer eat the labor after having it in there twice. I would have come unglued! Damn that sucks

I wouldn't have given them a red cent... thats crazy.. an 07 sled and you have to pay for the labour??? WTF... was thinking about getting an XP in the fall.. looks like that won't be happening.

Ski Doo is pushing the envelope. I have talked to Doo dealers who have had the 800R motor go down with bad cranks and just the cost on replacements parts for the motor is usually $4700 worth of parts!

On my local trails last weekend a guy who was riding a brand new 2007 mach z had 50 miles on it blew a crank going 15 mph. The crank issue caused something else to blow off the motor and it blew off a gas line and the sled burnt to the ground. Ski doo wont pay for anything even though there is video footage of the whole thing from a helmet cam and you can here the motor go and then get to watch it burn to the ground. Freakin piles I say.. He is looking at sueing I think because he was hurt on top of it all.. sucks..

As far as I'm concerned any company who makes a product that totally craps out, posses a serious risk of injury when it craps out and will not help customers the way they should with a 10k or so vehicle just plain doesn't want to be in business anymore. I will be honest I was looking at a new gsx 600sdi two up.... screw it now. I've heard nothing but motor blowups. I ride yami and my g/f, lol that's it.

Update :)

If you guys run into any of the Mighty Z owners that has a slight rattle in engine that goes away when put in reverse, You need to tell them to take it to the dealer & leave it! The extended warranty is only worth the paper it is wrote on, Too many loopholes for BRP to escape through. Tom's labor charge was $700.00 & that $700.00 cost BRP a loyal DOO customer. I had 4 new Doo's & they tried the same thing with me & Tom has had many..... But no more!

lets not fool ourselfs into a false sence of greatness here guys.all manufactures have had their problems at 1 time or another.im a case in point .1994 vmax 600 ,well looked after,3900 miles.riding along enjoying the day then wam!!! spun the jack shaft.who,s the idiot who designed a 2 piece jackshaft that wouldnt last over 4000 miles???it litterally spun the splines.next year or so low and behold they go to 1 piece.i have a 1970 12/3 olympic that you cant kill and it will proably last for another 30 or 40 years yet.point being all manufactures bugger up once in a while,it just sucks when they make it to production and we pay the price.the day i broke down a pullass stopped and helped me and i thank him very much.

Back