Yamaha, 40 Years Of Snowmobiles. 3:16

1978 250 enticer - maybe not the best ever sled, but it was my first and I had a lot of good times on it.

1978 exciter 440 my first sled. those sleds were just awesome here is the one piece suits we used to wear.

Attachments

• 100_0458 (2).jpg
    100_0458 (2).jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0457 (2).jpg
    100_0457 (2).jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 10
GP 292, my first sled. My Dad would send us out puttin' around the house for hours on end. 97 700 SX would be a close 2nd

Last edited:
Easy....... ! The T.S.S. Phazers !
Lightweight by any standards ~ 406lbs without E.S. !
Peppy, reliable engine !
Great fuel mileage !
Easy for beginners to handle yet strong enough for almost any abuse !
Styling way, way ahead of its time !
In it's class Unbeatable in the powder for a 121" !
Easy to maintain and low cost to modify !
Best Bang for the Buck and most smiles for a single sled !
Yamaha's and maybe the industries best selling single model of all time with the same engine ?

I love Yammie sleds, bikes, wheelers, etc........the list goes on, so this is a hard question for me. When I was a kid I rode Suzuki bikes because we had a dealer in my small hometown. For sleds we had Ski-Doo's for the same reason. I had just started college when my Dad bought his first Yamaha (1983 Vmax) after his twin brother had bought his second (SS440, SRV). I remember coming home from Mankato State to see his new 1983 Yamaha VMax 540 parked in the family hobby shop and I was awestruck. In it's time ,it was an awesome looking machine and was the Snow Goer shootout winner that year. So the 1983 VMAX 540 is my winner because it was the first Yamaha I admired. BTW, no one in our area at the time could beat it either. It was king!!

PS: That Snow Goer shootout winner for 1983 was Jerry Parent from Forest Lake, MN. (friends w/ the Houle's @ Speedwerx). I have that original magazine and am very good friends with his nephew whom I work with. Jerry's brother Myron is the head tech for Hayday's too. Small world........

I've owned alot of yamahas. I'd have to say the 01 - 02 SRX. Blazing speed, reliability and quality. One of the few yamahas respected by other brands.

man, tough one! I love the old vmax 540, the phazers, the vipers and srx's... and love the new apex etc.... but I would have to vote for............the vmax 4 :) great motor and it really started the BIG muscle sleds. also introduced the ignition systems we all enjoy to this day :)

Back