father in law ran it out of oil...

03viperguy

so what to do?? he has an 02 mxz 700 and ran it out of oil (hes not an idiot, just had a moment lol!) so we towed it a little way to a place we could get it with the truck. got some oil for it, poured it in the plug holes and dumped the rest in the oil tank. blew in the tank to bleed the air out. started it just to see if it would run ( when he ran it out the oil light never came on so it died on the trail!!!) it actually fired right up and has no power loss or funny noises. well we got it home and he figures he will pull the head and give it a look before running it again. what needs checking and what needs to be done? he is mech inclined ( built a camaro up when he was younger and is really experienced with bike motors, old sleds and big rigs) and wants to know what he should look for and check. any help appreciated!!! hopefully noone else has done this, but I am sure someone has lol!!

I would pull the top off check pistons/cyl's for wear/damage and also check
crank out..if it's been awile sence it's been rebuilt then do it..your right there..

These sleds have the cranks go out more than other sleds so I'd be leary of that especially after its been ran out of oil.

Yeah, I would do a close inspection of the crank bearings and seals. Also check the cross shaft bearings and seals. The SkiDoo crankcase leakdown test can help determine if any of the seals were heated up. It would have been good to check out how dry the bearings were before adding oil and running it again. This would have required towing it home though. I can't remember off the top of my head (I suppose I could look it up) if the oil sensor shuts that engine off or not. Do you know if it seized or did the CDI shut it off?

he thought it was seized, but it acted like the kill switch was hit and he was able to move the motor freely in the time that it took to open the hood, pull the clutch gaurd, and grab the primary and give it a spin by hand.. can you look it up if it has that safety?? thanks guys!

I finally got time to look it up and the 700 does NOT have the low oil engine shutdown feature. That came on later engines. Sucks to have a poor memory.

I have the official SkiDoo documentation on CD for many years. This is where I looked it up. Each CD has a ton of info including spec booklets that contain info for several of the previous years within each version, but for more detailed info I have to plod through several CD's to find it. While I have some of the older years copied to the hard disk on a couple computers, I do not have any of the newer years loaded. I will see if I can find some time to look through these this weekend or next.

If only I had a better memory I could probably tell you off the top of my head, because this was a hot topic when it first came out.

All that said, there has got to be someone around that does know off the top of their head.

Last edited:
They are already available on ebay from several sources. Some are legit copies as the company that SkiDoo contracted to make the CD's in the first place was also given the right to sell old year CDs directly. I am sure that some of the other ones are not. You should be able to get them for under $20, and sometimes several years on one CD.

Back