Ups and downs for the Older Vettes..

auji700triple

Mom and her boy friend are looking into getting a Corvette Sting-Ray. Somewhere between 1969-1979, Whats the Pros and Cons for these Modles of the Vettes. i know back in the 60's and early 70s they had more power becuase there were no emission laws as to today... as the years went up they lost hp.

but what are the pros and cons to a T-Roof Vette?

Attachments

• 1976_CORVETTE_STINGRAY.jpg
    1976_CORVETTE_STINGRAY.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 7

the t-roofs can leak. make sure the weatherstripping is good. also the t tops have less structural support than a full hardtop. other than that t-tops rule. :rockon:

If your getting a Stingray I would look at the older ones with the chrome bumpers.
I think 73' was the last year the fron and back were chrome.

yep, pre 73' if you have to deal with any kind of emissions crap. I beat a stock 170hp 78' vette at the dragstrip with my stock 205hp v8 thunderbird (which ran 16.8's )

check the frame. i have had one in at work to change the spring in the rear. top was mint. frame had been repaired with pop rivits, bondo and pop cans. buyer beware is all i am saying.

I had a 79 with an L48 and a 3.55 rear gear - car would run 14.90's all day long in stock form and still get 16 to 18 mpg - had the glass T-tops, and as long as you kept them adjusted right, they never leaked - pre 78 models were rattle traps IMO - the L82 motor was a POS (IMO) so stay away from them - I would buy another 79 in a heartbeat, but I do have a soft spot for the 73 duck tails!!! (first year of the molded front)

I can say from experience the 79 is a fun car and can be easily made faster :) dad has one and the easiest thing to do was put the 87 vette head on it. with what he has done ( I am not sure all the specs, been a while) he has 350-400 hp and a nice new 4 speed (up from a 3 speed auto-tragic 195 hp L48) I will try and dig up a pic :)

vette1.jpg

found it ;) oh, and chicks dig the c3 ( thats the 68-82 vette)

I had an 80 L48 and drove a 79 L82 as well, both are great looking cars but DOGS. Yes you can build them up but the post 77 cars went to a weaker tranny. They can be built to handle and engines built up to make them fun. I believe stock was 180 or 190 hp so get ready for aftermarket parts. Great looking. To reinforce what was said already, check for frame rot. This is most evident just behind the driver and passenger seats. The frame rails pinch inward to clear the tires and this is the stress point of the car. This is true on earlier models as well. My personal favorite in that era is the 78 Indy pace car.

1970 LS6 454, MUNCIE M22, CHROME BUMPERS, MMMMMMMMMM. You're in Labrador. There was one here for sale in Newfoundland. Bay Roberts to be exact. It was a pewter color 1970 with an LS5 and an automatic it was a really nice car. I think she was a convertable been a long time since I've seen her. I do believe that there was a full frame off done on the car. All original parts. Very clean. I can find out if he still has it. I'm pretty sure he wanted some seriuos coin for it. Like $30,000 plus. He also had a blue 1970 solid lifter LT1 350/ 370hp, 4 speed car. It was a nice car but not original he sold it for 16,000. If you want his name pm me. I'll keep my eye out for ya if you haven't found one. I think that 74 was the cut off for the hp. If I'm not mistaken the 350 in the vettes and the Z28 were rated at 245 hp. I may also know of a white 74 with a blown 383. may be a bit much for a cruiser though.

Well, They are looking at this 1979 Corvette(White one). But they would Rather have the older Style with the flat back window. as shown in the second pic. But either way the c3 is the nicest style EVER. Either way, they are both nice looking cars!

and myself might be getting a 1987 Irocz! CAn Anyone Photoshop it for me? um, to change it to all black, really cerious to what it would look like. thanks!

Attachments

• vett-33.jpg
    vett-33.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2
  • untitled7[1].bmp
    144.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back