Snow in the U.P.??

It's snowing right now as I look out my window in the Keweenaw. We've probably have around a half inch, and It's coming down pretty good.

They are under a winter storm warning for the Marquette/Munising area - talking 12+ inches of snow in the next couple of days - anyone up for one last ride? - let's load em up!!! :bump:

I'm going for one last ride in the yard probably tomorrow, gotta make up for the last ride I went on through the mud. All you'll see is a grin from ear to ear.

Nothing started yet in the Newberry area, just overcast. But "they" say 'Little snow accumulation will occur today. Expect snowfall amounts tonight into Wednesday of 12 to 17 inches.' I kind of hope it does happen, and I kind of hope it doesnt. I would love to take one more ride, but on the other hand, I just took the plow off of the Grizz last night; at that time there was NO talk of a winter storm, seems like it came out of nowhere. I guess I will have to put the plow back on when I get home this evening.

Thank you

Thats great news thanks fellas. Probably going to get one last one in than up around Grand Marais

Anyone got an update? - radar looks like the whole surrounding Munising area is getting pounded - I feel the need!

snow has been intermitten around Houghton. Right now at 6:30 we're getting pounded. There's 7-8" on my porch. We're in a Blizzard Warning until 8pm tonight.

Last edited:
All Munising schools were cancelled this morning. It started snowing here in the Newberry area sometime between 5 and 6 this morning and we now have around 1" on the ground. But they have downgraded our 12-17 to 4-8 inches.

FYI...I drove across the entire UP last Saturday. Only a small band of snow existed north of Strongs about 8 miles wide. All other areas had only remnants of snow. That band was rideable at about 1 ft of snow. Here in Duluth we got about 8" last night.

Problem is the ground is mud underneath.

I was north of Pine Stump last Friday, doing some last minute ice fishing. We brought our quads with, and I barely made it thru the snow with the Grizz with 27's. There was 1'+ still in the woods.but since then we have had warm weather and some rain.

Not to preach, but hoping to save trails where I ride . . .

Be sure to check with local snowmobile associations to insure that the trails are still considered open if you plan to use the trails. Some of this land is actually private property, and in the Newberry area alone there are a number of landowners that are considering withdrawing their land for next year. I am sure that other areas have the same issue. Now if you stick to forest and county roads you will be fine, just research and know the area well. Many of the county roads will get plows on them, but the fire roads should be fine. Be prepared to get your tow vehicle and trailer very dirty and possibly stuck as you will have to trailer to remote areas. The roads are a mess this time of year, and you can get stuck right in the middle of the road. I advise going where there are good fire roads, and they got the most snow.

Yep that's the band of snow I was referring to. Pine Stump area is known for the most snow and as you head south towards Newberry there was zero snow and again as you head north within a mile of the lake it dwindles down to nothing.

Some fresh stuff on top would make some good riding if you know where to unload your sleds and stay in the band of snow.

Rev*Baron said:
Yep that's the band of snow I was referring to. Pine Stump area is known for the most snow and as you head south towards Newberry there was zero snow and again as you head north within a mile of the lake it dwindles down to nothing.

Some fresh stuff on top would make some good riding if you know where to unload your sleds and stay in the band of snow.

Hey Chuck, I didn't know you were in Duluth, did you just move? We are coming up to Hayward this weekend for family easter stuff, but on the John Dee Valahalla web cam, it looked like they just got pounded. Do you know any back country up there? Are you going to try to get out?

From this forecast someone could ride around the Ashland area if they knew some fields or forest roads:

THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM CDT THIS EVENING.
SNOW SHOWERS...HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE SNOWBELT REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO NEAR WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS...WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT MUCH OF NORTHERN BAYFIELD... ASHLAND AND IRON COUNTIES THROUGH THE DAY. ADDITIONAL AFTERNOON SNOWFALL OF 3 TO 6 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY GREATER AMOUNTS...CAN BE EXPECTED. THIS WILL BE ADDED TO OVER 18 INCHES THAT HAS FALLEN SO FAR IN PARTS OF THE SNOWBELT. SNOWFALL RATES WILL BE 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES. GUSTY WINDS TO 30 MPH WILL CAUSE DRIFTING AND BLOWING OF THE FRESHLY FALLEN SNOW. HIGHWAY 2 WILL BE IMPACTED BY THE SNOW. THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVIEST IN NORTHERN IRON COUNTY

Last edited:
Rev*Baron said:

I know exactly where those spots are!.....and I will be taking advantage of them if I get a good report from a co-worker that lives up by Halfway Lake tomorrow morning.

As far as a snow update. Here in Newberry, the snow is melting as fast as it is coming down. Maybe up to 2" accumulation so far since early this morning.

Well even though the blizzard warning is off, it's still pretty wicked up here in Houghton. In town, in my yard I have drifts that are over five feet! I probably won't venture onto the trails or woods. Snow is too soft, i'll find every rock and stump.

Approximately 5-6" is on the ground in the Newberry area and my contact for northern Luce county says he got about a foot since it started yesterday. I got a report from my brother who lives in Marquette...he said they received about 14-16" as of yesterday around 4 p.m. in the Sands Township area. And lastly, my parents, who live on the hill in Hancock, said they got 20-24" as of last night around 8 p.m.

Back