Crushed/Compressed Vertebra

xsivhp

My dad suffered this injury a few weeks ago and he's been in quite a bit of pain. He was off work for two weeks, but now he can barely make it thru the day without being in complete pain. Can anyone tell me if his pain will go away ever? I really don't like seeing him this way.

Thanks,

xs

Attachments

• 0406071038.jpg
    0406071038.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 5

Sorry to hear that,back injury's are never a good thing,,can they do
anything for him surgury or some good pain meds.???

That one is a dandy. I don't have any pics of my X-rays. I will have to get some one of these days. I have 9 fractured vertebra. I will say it is better now than it was when it first happened. Between that and the hips I lost three inches in height. Yes, three inches... I wake up every morning and something hurts the worst for that day. It has been a long time since my back was the worst first thing. But by the end of the day my back is usually the worst. I had 5 of mine glued back together. Called Vertebroplasty. Essentially they take a bone marrow biopsy drill (BTDT too) and drill a hole. Then with a big syringe they fill the hole and cracks with the same cement they use to do hips. Got the glued in hips too... Since I got the hips replaced and the vertebroplasty done I got back a couple inches.

I take hydrocodone every day. Lots of it... I also take neurontin and elivil, both are nerve deadeners. Pain sucks! But I don't let it get in the way of keeping myself entertained. I posted a while back about getting my sled stuck and how thrilled I was when someone stopped and helped me get it out. I walk with a cane, but have found ways to continue driving the jeeps (get in with a bucket with a rope on it) and ride my sleds. I also still spend time in the garage wrenching on them.

It shouldn't slow him down!

Wow - I hope his doesn't come to that. Good to hear you still get along and get out to do the things you enjoy though.

I was in a car wreck four years ago and the same thing happened to me. I collapsed two vertebrae. I'm young so I was able to cope with the pain a bit more. Much like JeepTherapy, I lost an inch of height. I was 5'11" but now 5'10". I go the doctor every 6 months to have more X-rays done on my back. Good luck to your dad. Hope he starts to feel better.

Thanks VenomMod - you still feel pain or did it go away? Why do you revisit the doctor every 6 months?

I still have pain when I do really strenuous activities, lifting items, mostly up and down work. I stretch out before I do a whole lot. I have muscular degeneration in my back also (double whammy for me), they like to keep a close eye on what my back's doing. I like to work out and strengthen the muscles in my back. That seems to be helping with my pain. Light weight, and lots of reps. Like I said before i'm young (20) so youth is on my side.

I've have a crushed L1 from a sledding mishap. Was a long process to heal. 5 weeks on my back in a hospital bed, 4 months in a back brace after that. For the next year, I was very careful lifting and performing other activities, but I can honestly say my back pain is not bad at all. Some things like running on hard surfaces are uncomfortable. However, I have returned to doing 98% of what I did pre injury.

Take it slow, listen to the doctors.

Back