How far would you go without snow?

phazer35

I was up at our cabin last weekend in Idaho and the snow was pretty much gone. Sad day. I hiked up the forest service road behind the house and found that the snow was only about half a mile up. I was very tempted, unfortunately the lower part of the road is real bad, deep ruts, rocks and greasy mud. But... we have a small trail through the woods that meets up with the upper road, it climbs a short steep hill but after that its pretty smooth. If I had my phazer I probably woul have gone for it. Our other sleds have deep paddle tracks and I didnt want to risk it. How far would you go on dirt, mud and a few rocks to get to the snow?

1/2 mile? No problem. Take your time and hit a few of the puddles to splash some 40 degree water on the heat exchangers to keep it cool. I've hit spots here towards the end of the season where the loggers have plowed the trail and it's all mud and puddles for 1-2 miles. Never had any issues other than feeling a little bad about driving threw the mud.

On a positive note you can really make a mess of the guy behind you if you so choose.

how far have you gone on bare ice? or drove on the bare edge of a road to get to town, 1/2 mile I WOULD OF BEEN RIDING. paddle track or not

Ya I've done about 1/2 a mile just to get to a trail and 500 feet of thick mud once on a "trail" to get to the other side then decided to turn around and go back. You kind of take what you can get when riding after April 1 in the eastern UP.

It is the concrete and the rocks I would be on the lookout for. And hope you don't care about your runners.

Back