Polaris ATV forums?...

S.S.Viper

Hey guys...

I know this is a non Yamaha question...but I'm looking for info
regarding my dads 2004.5 Blown Polaris 500 HO atv...Seems like
Polaris Canada won't honour a warranty rebuild that happened during
an ice fishing trip...
Basically I'm looking for a site like this thats Polaris related...

any info is greatly appreciated...

Once again...sorry for a non Yamaha topic...

YOP

I'm in the process of restoring a trashed out Scrambler 500 4x4 HO right now. I have the shop manual that I could email to you. If you find a good poo site let me know. J

I am looking for a black hood, front axle, rear taillight, drain plug that's in the recoil, one headlight, black rear fenders, maybe new front rim, left front control arm, and trim ring around gas cap, reverse lever and indicator panel and probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting.

Basically this beast was without plastic. I have a set of new black fenders that I'm trying to match. I painted the red hood black.

I might need an exhaust. I have a YZ450 muffler on it right now not sure how its going to perform.

My Dad has all those parts but the black plastic and new front rim.I will see if he wants to part the quad out it's been sitting for 2 years. PM with your parts list,lol

Ah yes, the 500 & 500 HO, greatly known for taking out cams & heads if you don't change the oil regularly! Worked at a Polaris ATV dealership for 4 years, what exact information are you looking for?

SRX spec...

Long story short...He's had the machine for 2.5 years now..its a great machine...we do lots of ice fishing aswell...I ride my Vipe..he rides his Sportsman to get out to the hut...We haven't had any issues with his machine untill this year...here's the case...
He started it up...warmed it up good(-20) outside...no mods done to it other than a winch...rode 1/3 of the way out and he completely blew out the oilpan/resevoir (plastic not aluminum)...he only thought it was a back fire until it completely stalled out on him...After doin some homework we realized it was a manufacturer flaw causing the oil pressure to build up way to high and not venting out...Baboom!!!
Unfortunetly we had a warm up upon return, so any Ice Build up in problematic areas melted away to show proof to the dealer...
So my problem is Warranty related...the dealership says he(dad) has to eat the cost because when he bought the machine 4 months used...He never changed the warrenty over to his name..BUT..the dealership told him he didn't hafto when he bought it in 2005 cuz the warrenty goes with the VIN #..not the owner...now they say he had to 30days after purchase to change it...

Don't get me wrong..the dealership is great...However, they just missed 1 key point back in the day that has him stressing out now...Should I investigate this further with Polaris...? or is whats done..done?...

Any info would be great...my dads totally upset and we are missng great mud riding opertunities now aswell (I ride a 96 400 explorer)...

cheers

Last edited:
Polaris did have trouble with frozen plastic reserviors and ice buildup. I think it was the antifreeze and or oil reservoir located behind left front tire, if that happened a lack of antifreeze could cause it to overheat. I have a 96 xplorer 400 as well. It got the Comet HPQ clutch, Bigfoot clutch kit, Titan 589 tires and wheelspacers. plowking

Hahaha...you guys rock...yer right...I don't need another forum...but just figured a Polaris forum might help and leave this one to concentrate on yamaha's goods...
Yes..Plowking...it was the oil reservoir on the left tire side that blew completely off...But the lack of anitifreeze doesn't make sense since he road it the day before...but maybe what your saying is the cold must've froze somthing in there...or what snow that melted the day before froze and caused some problems on the Blow up Ride...You wouldn't be able to direct me for more info related to this item would you?
My curiousity is this...is it worth him fighting for?..because if he knew there was a problem he would investigate everymornin...now he's down and out and doens't wanna take the machine on anymore icefishing trips...Now he wants to use my 96 Explorer instead...arghhh!!!(trying to persuade him to get a sled...but he's determine with the ATV)
Plowking..as for your ATV setup...you might here from me in the future...I am looking at doin some mods mine...I have an extensive list...but little things come first and then the big stuff later...but am curious what aftermarket shocks do you use?...

My plastic oil res leaks. Looks like I better take a closer look at it. Its basically a dry sump tank right. If the vent was iced over you wouild think the engine would starve for oil also.

Plowking..as for your ATV setup...you might here from me in the future...I am looking at doin some mods mine...I have an extensive list...but little things come first and then the big stuff later...but am curious what aftermarket shocks do you use?...[/QUOTE]
Hi, I have Kimplex gold front shocks with the heavy springs for snowplowing. I didn't put lift spacers under shocks, but could have. I made cheap spacers out of pipe [ 1 1/2 diameter I believe] to put between shock bottom and mount]. I have to take out the bigfoot clutch kit, because I have 25 inch tires and the clutching is made for 27 inch tires. The tires have wheel spacers front and rear, the front helped, because my tierod ends were rubbing on inside of tires. The reservoir problem I saw in a atv magazine, they were trying the atv on a lake, possibly for ice fishing. The ice from front wheels got into frame and cracked the reservoir, the magazine thought there should be better splash guards on the atv to prevent this. If I find anything in other atv forums, I let you know. I would have liked to put an aftermarket silencer on the xplorer, but the shifter, linkage, cause problems with clearance. plowking

Last edited:

Back