Motocross style or Modulal? What do you use?

viper7mi

VIP Member
I switched to the ski-doo modular this last season and like the helment for the warmth and sunshield is a cool factor. But is seems tight to the face.

Thinking of picking up a motocross style HJC or FLY or KBC in blue, large. Has onyone used these helments and what did they like or dislike? What face mask and eye protection did you use?

Thanks for the information.

I picked mine up at the Novi Snowmobile show and they hooked me up with everything, HJC Helmet, Breath deflector and goggles with quick straps. I've used it for 2 seasons and I'll never go back to the full face with the electric shield again.

I have always had full face helments until about 2001 and I have had open face with googles since.I think I'm going to buy a doo modular this year for trail riding and wear the open face for offtrail riding and the mountains.

-30 and no problems on or off trail...

Attachments

• helmet pic.JPG
    helmet pic.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I wear a modular with with a heated shield, but if you are off trail riding powder, i get snow inside the helmet so it depends on how you ride - I may get a seperate setup for off trail.

grapeape what helment are you wearing in the picture? What face mask setup and gogels do you use?

yep hjc clx (my old one and wife has currently) hjc acx-2 for me currently. i love the spy goggles for my helment and face shape combo. you need to get dual pane goggles for true anti fog protection.

every helmet and face shape has better sealing goggle choices. some fit nice some fit ok and some let way too much air and dust (snow) in. i play with my venting by taping some of the vents especially over the eyebrow area. tends to give me ice cream eating brain freeze feeling at times.

lynne likes her smith warp goggles and scotts. i wear the scotts in a pinch, but prefer the spys. i have a blue acx-2 i would let go for about 75.00 it is like new. i bought it off another member here and my daughter has worn it twice. it is a medium/large. (have different pads for custom sizing). http://www.motofrugals.com/product.jsp?id=1509

whatever you do once you find the goggle that fits your situation, buy two or three pairs, have a dark tint, a high res, and a clear lens set up. than as the light changes you can change with it. also when you get over snowed, wet, fogged from riding hard, you'll have a spare to get you home. i usually carry 4-5 pairs with me in my pack, for offtrail riding as they get sweat soaked and wet from time to time.

the biggest benefit is they are light, the modulars are super heavy and if you were ever to take a direct shot at the chinbar, the hinge will fail. this could mean a serious injury to you. personally i would never put one of those modulars on my head for that reason. i know people like them cause they can flip them up for a smoke, or to talk at a trail break without taking the whole helmet off. but for saftey i wouldnt risk my face (not that it is nice to look at now) with a modular style lid. but again that is MY opinion.

i will probably be upgrading to the hjc acx-3 this fall for the new nytro. ski

helmet

The sun shield on the modular is well worth the price when the sun comes out. I have had one for 4 yrs. Cant imagine having anything else. Snow does get in if you like riding powder though. just my .02

i would never trust a modular helmet. There is no way anyone could convince me that it will protect you in a frontal impact. As mentioned previous, in a bad crash such as an impact with a tree, the hinge mecanism will fail and cause serious damage to your cranium. Why would you trust your life with a questionable piece of equipment? And the price of those NFMH's are rediculous. GEt yourself a nice open face/goggle setup and never look back. Just my opinoins but think about it seriously.......

i have used mostly HJC's ,my current setup is a CLX-5 with a 89-995 breath box (optional from CLX-4 modified to fit the x5) and smith warp tI goggles. I also have spy blizzards, scott high voltage snow x, and pro grip light sensitive.

find a setup that fits your face/helmet combo and unless you are going 100 mph for extended periods of time, you will never regret it.

Last edited:
I have two helmets. My HJC Kast Fullface I use when riding powder or when it's real cold out. Nolan snowcross and depending on the sun which quick strap goggles I use for trail riding.

Last edited:
not to hyjak but I have glasses and can't wear contacts.. I use a full face now but I cannot close the shield all the way or my glasses fog, which sucks especially when behind people. I have thought about going to an open face but don't know if goggles can be worn over glasses. Anyone else in this situation?? what is best for someone like me??

maxout, proview makes prescription goggle lenses just for your type of issue.

wow bolin, we have almost the same goggle arsonal. my wife has the smiths, both of us use the scotts, and i have spys and the light sensitive pro grips. LOL! great minds think alike! ski

what do you guys use to keep your chin and nose and lower face from freezing? I just boguht a MX style for me Quad.. I love it.. You can see so much more.. I found my modulars are too cold for Feb. riding in Canada.

ski- i like to switch it up on the goggles depending on the day. i really like the smith snow warp ti's, just got them towards the end of the season and they have a great lens color (sensor mirror). pro grips for the in between days (light sensitive) and the spy's for all out crazy sunshine bluebird days. the scotts have the stock amp blue lens which works really great for cloudy days and night riding.

maxout- check out scott goggles they make what they call a OTG (over the glasses).....a friend wears these goggles over his glasses and really likes the performance of them. he never has to worry about fogging at all. i would highly reccomnend this setup compared to a close faced shield that is cracked half open all day = windburn and snow in the helmet lol......

NB vipe-i wear a turtle fur neck warmer that i pull up over my chin, the nose piece-breath box deal takes care of the rest.....

like i said earlier in the thread the 59-995 hjc breath box works the best in most applications...the one that they supply with all open face helmets really blows and is worthless in my opinion. i just re read the post from before and i made a mistake in saying the part # was 89-995 it is 59-995

Last edited:

Back