Ford Tractor sympathetic restoration

ViperTom

As I mentioned on an earlier post, My wife and I picked up a 56' Ford 640 that runs great but looked a little tired. Yesterday I decided it was time to clean it up a bit and get it ready for paint. I parked it in the drive a power washed and degreased it. I decided to pull the hood, fenders and wheel weights off to clean it a little better. Once it looked good I backed it into my small barn and started to tear it down and really get it cleaned up. I ended up stripping it right down to the chassis...all the tins, steering wheel, seat, all the electrical...everything was removed to ready it for paint. We degreased it again and power washed it. Sanded it with coarse sand paper, wire brushes and ScotchBright pads. Cleaned it one last time to get all the sanding dust off and the blew it dry with the air compresser. Once dry I sprayed a coat of primer on it...let it dry and top coated it with Ford red...the original color. I put about 9-10 hours in to it yesterday and I have at least that much more time to put in to it to finish the tins and other parts I have removed. I ran just short on the Red paint but its close to done.

Attachments

• tractor 1.jpg
    tractor 1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 5
  • tractor 2.jpg
    tractor 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 3
  • tractor 3.jpg
    tractor 3.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 4
  • tractor 4.jpg
    tractor 4.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 5
  • tractor 5.jpg
    tractor 5.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 4

Hi man!

Cool! kind of reminds me of our Ford-son (`?) dexta, here`s a picture of me on it:
IM003065Large.jpg

I can ask my dad for specs if you want.. I don`t remember what year it is.
I guess the US versions are different but I can see some similarities.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration.

Back