Who Know's Inboard Boat Engines?

Viper Treats

My fishing boat I/O 260 Mercruiser really likes to load up when trolling. Also seems to give off gas smell when idling coming in and out of the harbor. I can't imagine the carb is much different than a regular chevy 350. Anybody have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
VT

I have some exierence mostly running on alcohol though on race engines.
Hey Bruce where's he located?

All you do is simply hook up a vacum guage to manifold vacum(vacum off the bottom of carb) and adjust the idle mixture screws till you get the highest reading of vacum per side. Doesnt matter if 1 side is 1 turn out and other is 2, if thats where it makes the most vacum thats correct.

2ooosrx said:
Call.....A.J. Mobile Marine in Appleton 920-739-2628. Andy is Family. Tell him uncle Bruce sent you!!!

So does "mobile" mean, he will stop out at the house and do it? Thanks for the info guys, I may give AJ a call.

Last edited:
2ooosrx said:
Andy is in Appleton......Yes Mobile....he will come to you

Bruce

I gave him a call, waiting to hear back from him. I am assuming his rates are not the typical bend-over marina rates with some honesty built in. I had a marina tell me last year I needed a rebuild because I had 160 lbs in one hole. They really try to hose you over.

2ooosrx said:
I called him......I hope he take's care of you. He may be in Chicago because his uncle passed away on Wed.

Bruce

OK, thanks, that is probably why he didn't get back to me. I'll hopefully talk with him early next week.

Bryan

2ooosrx said:
I called him......I hope he take's care of you. He may be in Chicago because his uncle passed away on Wed.

Bruce

Bruce, Andy came over and tuned my carb. He must know what is going on because I lost my kicker and had to troll with the big motor all weekend. The boat always used to load up, smoke, and quit when trolling. The motor never loaded up once, started like a dream, never quit, and not one ounce of smoke when trolling. Thanks for the advice, I will probably give him some more work in the future.

pro116 said:
That's awesome Brian.Where did you go fishing?

We fish up in Door County, we got about 7 fish all weekend total which is OK for the conditions water is too cold and clear, they were getting some on the bay side. We didn't fish much Saturday getting rigged up. Sunday we got blown off the water until evening for a couple hours. Monday it was way too nice out to catch fish. We were trolling in 60 FOW and looked over the side of the boat and you could watch the bottom go by like you were in a big aquarium. Fish will easily spook from the boat and no plankton to bring in the baitfish. It will pick up when we get some warmer weather.

2ooosrx said:
Glad....... Andy was able to help out.....He's a GOOD guy

Bruce

I gave his number to a charter captain up there also, hope to generate some business for him. Nice to have a guy like him around because the Marina's do nothing but try to screw you.

Back