Moto GP tracks

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
How is it that Moto GP holds races in such places as Istanbul Turkey,BRNO Czech Republic and Qatar Istanbul(I think),places that one would almost say that thay wouldn't visit on a bet otherwise,and yet they can only get one race in North America?Is there no track or venue in Canada worthy of such an event?What's the saying if you build it they will come?
I realize that these tracks are established and have been on the circut for decades but how about getting a race in Canada for those of us that can't make the trek to California?
As volatile an area as there possibly could be I would think that the Czech Republic would be one race that the sanctioning body would be looking to relocate.
I guess I'm just hoping that mabey the all knowing will bring a race to us here in Canada.

I doubt we'll get a race here in Canada, they used to run at both Mosport aswell as Tremblant, thing is that both tracks failed to move up the safety regs, Mosport would be difficult to make comply, there's not enough room for washsout, and the track can't hold that many spectators, Tremblant would be completely impossible, as the washout space needs to go down the side of the mountain, into the mountain, or into the river. And again, it's not exactly a 50,000 spectator venue.

Calabogie shows promise, but the designers/builders aren't interested in it being a big venue like that, they kinda built it to be their personal playground, not a tourist attraction. Still tho Calabogie is a brilliant piece of racetrack, something ridiculous like 28 turns, it's a monster.

most of the places they're going now aren't that dangerous, and have big booming economies that are on the rise. Like Qatar and China. Turkey is a brilliant track and can hold 100,000+

Calabogie could work in theory, but even if they added the requisite washout and put in grandstands to hold 100,000 people, Calabogie is in the middle of nowwhere, the local infrastructure couldn't support an extra 100,000 coming out of nowwhere like that.

Riders are already complaining that an 18 race calendar is too intensive, not to mention the privateer teams (LCR and KR) that it's too expensive.

There's talk of them coming to Indy before too long, that's abit less of a mission for us east coast canucks, but it's not exactly right next door either.

What bothers me is that spain gets 3, and Italy is now getting 2, including at Misano, the track that paralyzed the man that I consider to be the best GP rider ever.

I think they should let sleds run Calabogie in the winter!!!! That would be worth the cost of admission.

boondoctor said:
Junior, would that be Wayne Rainey?

yessir it would.

Calabogie would be a bloody blast on a sled, I'd drive and pay track admission, just lay down a thin layer of ice, everybody studs, run it like an ice rink, zambonie and all. would be bloody awesome.

Back