Cooper tires

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Anyone on here had any experience with the Cooper Discoverer ATR or Dicsoverer M/S light truck tires?I'm looking at a set for my truck and am undecided on them or Michelin LTX M/S.I've had the LTX's before and really like them but I'd rather they were just a tiny bit more capable in snow and my cousin has a set of the Discoverer M/S's on his truck and likes them alot so I'm not sure which to get.If I go with the Michelins I wont have the money to do some other work to the truck right now whereas the Coopers will allow me that but I don't think they will wear as long.What's the general opinion?

We have Cooper ATR's on 5 trucks at work and they are excellent in my opinion. All see mud, dirt, streets, and all plow. The wear has been great, nice ride, and not noisy at all. On one of our two wheel drive trucks we have some M/S studded and they too are excellent (but what studded tires aren't in the snow). I have heard that the M/S is a very soft compound and will wear quickly if used year round. I run the STT's on my truck and love em'. Just my $.02.

I too am buying tires. have had pretty much everything out there on past vehicles, and mich's are sweet tires without question, but they are SO expensive. I am putting a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T-S's on my durango this week. I have read reviews and talked to lots of tire store guys and a few (from different companies) have said these are as good if not better than mich's but much less expensive. ($630 installed vs $950 for the michs) I had a set of yokos on a car a few years back and loved em. I did have a set of coopers awhiile ago (car) and they were awesome unitl it rained.....slippery in the corners, but they lasted forever. And i dont even remember the tires that came on my z71 suburban but they were awful, but then again so was the rest of the truck.

Go to discounttires.com or tiresplus.com and read the reviews on the tires you are considering... they put em all out there, good and bad. might help you make your decision. good luck!

Tony

I have Bridgstone Dueler H/T's on my truck and love them. I have sold many sets to my costomers and have had no complaints. Bridgstone also makes a tire called REVO that is very nice, and is good if you drive lots of gravel roads. The BFG All terrain is also very durable and long lasting. Michelin is a great tire for longevety but the traction sucks in the winter. All tires are great when they are new. Its the ones that are still great when they are half worn that I like. My experience the Coopers are a very hard compound and the tread will outlast the rest of the tire. I'v seen a lot seperated and cracked up before the tire is worn out. I'v also seen a lot of this on Goodyear tires. I just replaced 4 of them that were half worn and they all leaked on the sidewall.

Thanks for all the replies guys it is giving me some food for thought.Price is going to play a bigger part of my decision than I figured as it looks like I'm going to have to get a couple of other things fixed right now too.I like the Bridgestones and the LTX's and have heard some locals with good things to say about Coopers,I guess I'll have to see what kind of a deal I can work out.

dont get the revo's. i had them on my truck. they are fine in the summer spring and fall but they suck in snow. i have an uncle who swears by dayton timberlines and he works in the bush year round so that is what i am trying on my truck atm. they where fairly cheap too at $175.00 canadian a tire for 245/75r16. best all around one i had found was goodyear wrangler ht. they bite really good in the snow and wear decently too. just didnt feel like shelling out $220.00 a tire this time.

fourbarrel said:
Thanks for all the replies guys it is giving me some food for thought.Price is going to play a bigger part of my decision than I figured as it looks like I'm going to have to get a couple of other things fixed right now too.I like the Bridgestones and the LTX's and have heard some locals with good things to say about Coopers,I guess I'll have to see what kind of a deal I can work out.

justaviper, funny you should say that about the bridgestones - I just saw a pair on a truck in a parking lot last night and they looked NICE - little bit more open/aggressive tread for snow bite. Thanks for you .02!

I have a set on my 1/2 ext. cab Chevy and love them.
they are WAY quieter than the Bridgestone or Goodyears I have had in the past, they ride nice and grip well in all conditions. I have 50K miles on them and they are shot. I will be going with the Cooper's again for replacment

go to discounttire.com and read the reviews of the Yokohama ATS. ??? sound perfect to me.

I`ve got the atr`s on my truck and love them! Been on my last 2 trucks and i wont put anything else on now.And you cant beat the price.

Back