Another fire

YooperMike

Well, we have another one started. No specifics yet on size, but I was traveling up M-117 from Engadine toward Newberry earlier today around 2 p.m. and there was a healthy plume of smoke coming up about a mile west of M-117 and 2 miles south of Sandtown Rd. So that would be North and West of Engadine and about 6 miles East of Curtis....I'll keep everyone posted.

I heard something on the TV this morning that it was less than 20 acres and that it was contained. And we got a good load of rain today!

Glad to hear it Mike!!! Talking with my grandparents in Ontonagon, they say that its so dry up there that watering the grass just burns it more because the sun evaporates the water before it gets a chance to soak in lol. How much rain did ya get?

Well, either Sunday or Monday we got about a half an inch. And then yesterday, we must have gotten an inch or maybe two from two different disturbances. The soaker we had last night lasted about 20-30 minutes, the kind where you run from your vehicle to your house and your shirt is drenched. I'm sure it didn't put the fire out, but it had to have helped tremendously.

I really don't know. There is no local database of rain that fell. And I haven't put up a rain gauge yet, but we are way behind. We're still in a severe drought, even with the rain that we received earlier this week. Hopefully old man winter will make up for it! :letitsnow

An update to the Sleeper Lake Fire...we are at 95% contained and the crews have been scaled back from 200+ people to around 75. Good news!

Back