It's not a Yamaha but maybe someone can shed some lite

BenderSRX

VIP Member
I am building a sled for my son he turns 12 September 1st and in Ontario he will be able to ride the trails with his old man. I found a crashed 1990 indy 500 with low miles and a straight and clean 1992 RXL body. I have stripped the indy 500 and i am now starting to install everything. I have switched the front steering bracket and steering post and was lining up the engine mounting bracets and i noticed that if i use the exsiting holes of the RXl body the motor will be about 1/2 inch over towards the chaincase side. That being said here is my problem if i drill a new hole in the bulk head there will be barley any metal between the 2 holes and i will also have to move the rear mount closer to the secondary. and i will have the same problem as the front mounts.
Question: if i bolt the indy 500 mount (one piece where the rxl has 2 different front mounts) to the first hole is their any ajustment to align the clutches since the motor will be 1/2 inch over from the orginal chasis.
Or does any body have any other suggestions. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. if its hard to under stand i can take pics and post also

Not sure if I am understanding this totally. But it sounds like you will have a major offset on the clutches.

Have you looked at fabing up some custom motor mounts? If you don't think you can do it yourself. I'm sure any hot rod shop could help you out for a far price.

I thought it might be hard to understand, But yes i think that the cluthes will be out about 1/2 inch and i was wondering if there was any ajustment in the secondary to get that 1/2 inch back. I was even thinking about shortening the jackshaft that 1/2 inch. What do people think about that?

Shim the secondary out is an option. Going in isnt much. There is probably a few shims behind the secondary, but you are only going to get 1/4" out of them by removing.

As for going out we have shimmed until there was only about 1/2 of thread going in on the bolt. Thats moving it out about 1/2"

If that helps.

It would be easier to weld another aluminum plate on top of the old one and drill the hole wherever you need to to mount the 500 engine in correct alignment with the RXL secondary. The slightly added height has virtually no effect on clutch relationship(center to center)and very little on intake and exhaust fitting. Your may also find a way to bolt something over the existing engine mounts but I would think welding would be easier.

Back