Those of you who live in the country side,what water softeners do you use?

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
Since we had our water lines hooked up in 2001,the water is a little hard and can see it in the taps,sinks and toilets the scale buildup.It really does a number on my Hot Tub heating element.Have changed them twice already.Actually it ate thru the heating element at about 7 months after I replaced it.Have been putting stuff in the hot tub to stop this.Seems to be working for a year and a half,but noticed already it is starting to drip at the base of the element,which means I'll be changing it again at $75 plus a pop.Instead of using a regular softener which uses salt,I have located a company from Indiana who sell a system that requires no salt.It's electronic
system converts the hard water and provides an economical ,maintenance free treatment of hard water in homes.Prevents new scale buid-up and eliminates the old scale.It is from FREIJE Engineered Treatment Systems.The unit is called EasyWater Treatment Systems by FREIJE.Has anyone here heard of them or maybe are using this product.I am thinking of purchasing it and cost is around $1000 shipped to me.

We have hard water here in SE Wisconsin and have been using softeners for years. We have had Culligan, Rain Soft and a couple of others with and without R.O. units for drinking water. They were ALL!!!!! junk. They took up tons of room, would never keep the water right and were a MAJOR PAIN to mantain and operate. We even went the expensive route for 4 years with Culligan and had them maintain and service the thing. Results were the same. My wife had enough of all the rust and crap in all the fixtures and in the clothes and said she was going to buy one from Sears that was on sale for $500. I said fine and didn't care because I was sick of listening to it and expected it to be junk too. She brought it home I installed it and it has worked PERFECTLY!!! now for 5 years. It is only one unit with no R.O. It is clean, quiet, compact and easy to use as compared with what we had before. The guy at Sears said to use one bag of "iron out" salt to two bags of regular salt and it will work fine. He was RIGHT. I had probably spent $10,000 on softeners, service and repairs prior to this one and never had one that worked. This one has been perfect now for over 5 years and was less that $500. If this thing ever dies I will go right back to Sears for another one.

opsled

opsled/do you have the model number for that one from sears.How big is the unit and what is your cost per year to run the thing.I am in Canada,so I don't know if Sears here would carry that model.Just curious,never had a water softener before.We used to have water delivered to a cistern for 17 years,but now we have water lines hooked up by the municipality.It is supposed to be spring water from a few towns south east of us.It is not super hard water that you get if you where at the lake (cottage country),but it is still a little hard.JUST CURIOUS..THAT"S ALL.THANKS!!!!

Last edited:
Unless you fill your hottub from a inside water source you are still going to have a hottub problem with your water as outside faucets are not connected to the softned water supply. I use a filter on the end of the garden hose when I fill the hottub and this takes out much of the minerals. I also have switched to Nature2 spa sanitizing treatment and have much less scale now and really easy to maintain. Also, make sure your water is balanced for PH and alkalinity as this will really mess up heating elements if not balanced.

Back