Toyota poised to outsell GM

Bakemono

Website
www.myspace.com
http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070901/AUTO01/709010404/1148
TOYOTA, Japan -- Steadily, relentlessly, quietly. Toyota is closing in on dethroning General Motors Corp., the longtime king of the world's automakers.

On Friday, Toyota set a global sales target of 10.4 million vehicles for 2009 -- a number that would put the Japanese company far ahead of the current industry record of 9.55 million vehicles that GM sold in 1978.

And it may not even take that long for the Japanese automaker to take the industry crown Detroit-based General Motors has worn for 76 years.

But there are no signs of celebration here in the namesake automaker's headquarters.

No banners proclaiming victory, no buzz in the air, no champagne -- just the quiet business-as-usual bustle.

Toyota Motor Corp. has already beaten GM in global vehicle sales for the first half of this year, selling 4.72 million vehicles compared with GM's 4.67 million vehicles.

GM declined to comment Friday on Toyota's sales forecast and has not issued forecasts for 2008 or 2009.

Toyota executives aren't gloating. They say repeatedly that it's not necessarily good to be No. 1.

Arrogance may seep in, they say, and quality could slip, management could grow less vigilant, technological innovations could stall -- all possible pitfalls for a manufacturer that has painstakingly built its reputation since it was founded in 1937.

In announcing the ambitious plan in Tokyo, President Katsuaki Watanabe denied the company was going after numbers, or "quantity," and was instead focusing on "quality," building on each and every car.

"All I can say is that I am truly grateful for every customer who bought our cars," he said, brushing off a reporter's question about beating GM.

Toyota's 2009 sales forecast is an 11.3 percent increase from the 9.34 million vehicles Toyota plans to sell this year.

It has benefited from the popularity of its Camry sedans, Prius gas-electric hybrids and other models reputed for good mileage at a time when gasoline prices are soaring.

GM has been forced to scale back production amid intensifying competition from Toyota and other rivals.

Far from basking in glory, Toyota officials appear more worried about a U.S. political backlash if, or when, Toyota should unseat GM.

Lawmakers from U.S. manufacturing states say the Japanese government has kept the yen artificially low.

That has given Japanese automakers an advantage -- an allegation that Toyota executives deny.

Thats cool. Theres nothing wrong with an F-150. I drive a '99 F-150 myself, probably be trading it off on a Toyota Tacoma before long though.
My father works for a Ford dealer and I could get another Ford for pretty cheap, but Im not really interested in owning any more domestics.
I drove Toyota when I was in highschool and for the past 8 years Ive owned Fords. The Fords served me well, but Im ready to go back to a Toyota.

What a tuff dilema the North American Auto industry is under...I will admit I've been a Ford Guy all my life...but after seeing and hearing about GM/Ford/Dodge Employee work ethics...it kinda makes sense why the Euro and Asian markets are catching up...I love my F150 and will purchase a new one when I can(father made the frames)...but literally...my wifes car will get an upgrade to a VW...No more Domestic...
Its hard for me to turn my back on my neighbours...but when the others are making
Green, Efficient smaller quicker cars that are better for us and the enviroment...and GM produces the HUMMER...get real!!! I just hope this new american made TESLA car comes with a flat bed in the future...

Seems like you have to choose: Support your community and neighbours and everything and get a 2 tonne gas hog with some questionable quality (my experience anyway), OR get a fuel efficient car with great quality. Having the highest gas prices in the world by a good margin, fuel effiency is alpha and omega here. You don't buy a truck that weighs almost twice as much as a normal pickup that costs twice as much, only to get shitty fuel mileage and expensive spare parts (spareparts from the us are expensive here). A quart of diesel costs almost 2usd here.

pro116 said:
Say good bye to more U.S. jobs.
Not really. Toyota makes a lot of the parts here in the U.S. and over half the vehicles they sell here are made here.
Ford and GM are making more and more of their vehicles in other countries, so IMO its no big loss.
I mean, my F-150's engine was made in Canada. Before that I had a '99 Ford Ranger. The engine was made in Germany and the tranny was made in England. Other than the name on the grille and where it was assembled (New Jersey), just how American was that truck?
I look at Toyota, who is building more and more plants in the U.S. whereas Ford, GM and Chrysler are closing more and more plants in the U.S. and the way I see it, Toyota is investing more in American than the domestics are.
Im not now, nor will I ever try to push Toyotas on anyone. I want you all to buy what you like and what makes you happy.
I merely found this article interesting because not only is Toyota setting a goal to outsell GM, they are setting a goal to sell more than GM has ever sold in a single year. IMO, thats very signifigant.

tippmannator said:
i recently got a 2006 tacoma with the trd off road package. i love this truck.
I post regularly on several Toyota forums and most people seem very happy with their Tacomas.
Im not looking at getting anything fancy, just a basic regular cab, 4x2, 4-banger, 5-speed truck. I guess its what most people would call a, "work truck". Really the only option Id care about is a/c. No power windows, no power locks; just a basic, reliable, durable, fuel-efficient, inexpensive truck.
Im still kicking around the idea of springing for a 4x4, but the F-150 I drive right now is a 4x4 and honestly, I almost never use 4-wheel-drive, so it seems kinda silly to spend a extra $5,000 for something I never use. I will definetely be upgradin to a good set of all-terrain tires though. Being that the truck will be a 1-wheeled-wonder, a set of aggressive tires is going to be a must.
You know, I cant knock the F-150. Its served me well, but its getting to be time to move on to something newer. Im looking foreward to once again being a Toyota owner. I drove a 4Runner in highschool and really wanted a Tacoma, but couldnt find a used one I could afford, so I bought a Ranger instead. The Ranger really wasnt the truck I wanted, but the price was right (thats the same reason Im riding a Polaris sled right now instead of a Yamaha).

The foreign trucks have come along ways in the last few years.5 years ago I wouldn't even look at one now it's a different story.There starting to off features like gm,dodge,and ford.

Toyota Vs Gm

I agree. with all this. I am a GM man at heart. But i have to admit, Nothing can touch a Toyota when it comes to quality, mileage, or longevity. And you have to realize, they employ more americans than any of our big three manufacturers, and they also contribute a hell of a lot more back to the communities. One question everyone has to ask themselves is: Do i want a vehicle engineered by americans, built in mexico, canda ,(anywhere but the us pretty much) : or do i want to spend my hard earned dollaron a vehicle built by americans with superioir japanese engineering and quality. It s really not a tough choice. We cant, and never will be able to build a vehicle that lasts like the foreign vehicles for one big reason. We cant afford to. We make more money on parts than we do on complete vehicles. Its the only way they can stay afloat paying union wages and benefits for entry level jobs. I know its sad, but its true.
Again, i am a GM man thru and thru, but i will never buy a new vehicle again unless its a toyota . our rececnt toyotas have benn truely 100 % trouble free with over 100,000 mile son them. Show a ford, dodge or chevy that can match that and i will be the first one to jump for joy!!!! it would be a great thing, but will NEVER happen. it just simply cant happen. we know how to , but we know we will financially bankrupt ourselves if we did. Just something to think about before you commit yourself to a $30,000 payment for the next 7 years.

FxsX24 said:
Silly TACO owners, but a S10 and call it a day

Huh??

there is a reason GM quit making S10's, and the replacement canyon/ whatever it is called is not any better.

but yeah. yota outsold GM

I have a GMC saburban with over 200,000 miles. Knock on wood it looks and runs great! Anyone that says that the domsetics are of lesser quality and get less gas milage....WAKE UP AND GET OUT OF THE '90's!!! Ford, GM, and maybe even chrystler have fast tracked and now make vehicals that are equal to or better than your japanese models.

Look at us argue about japanese cars and we're faithful japanese sled riders.......

Im not looking at getting anything fancy, just a basic regular cab, 4x2, 4-banger, 5-speed truck. I guess its what most people would call a, "work truck". Really the only option Id care about is a/c. No power windows, no power locks; just a basic, reliable, durable, fuel-efficient, inexpensive truck.

Dont do it! Okay maybe but take your time. I had an 06 Tacoma exactly as you described. It ran okay but the seats were brutally painfull. In 1 year the carpet looked 10 years old. It sagged in the rear really bad if you put any weight back there. If you want to tow (which it can do) use a ball on the bumper not a receiver. I had the receiver and it dragged whenever I pulled out of a steep parking lot or driveway even when the back was empty, if it was loaded with any weight you had to drive it like a Ferrari or Corvette and theres nothing worse than that scraping sound. Lastly when you first started the truck in the cold it idled at 2500 rpm (by design) until it warmed up. I could only drive it for 45 minutes before my back started killing me, a common complaint with Tacomas. This is why I sold it. I blindly bought it because I like Toyota. If you want a Tacoma spend at least 20K, get a 4x4 or the extended cab, much better seats. . I never had back pain before (or since)my Tacoma. I like Toyota but the 4x2 reg cab Tacoma is the worst vehicle they make. DO NOT BUY without spending at least 1 hour in the drivers seat. The brakes had bad feedback and werent very strong. Just be carefull and dont assume its as good as most Toyotas. I made that mistake. Good luck and be sure to shop around, I liked the Frontier but had trouble finding an honest dealer.

Back