van halen

I probably won’t go to see them but I did meet them once (sort of).

Years ago my ex-wife had a friend that worked at a hair salon right across the street from The Towensend Hotel in Birmingham, MI and we used to go there sometimes and hang out in the bar until she finished work. One night we were sitting at the bar, my ex, her friend, a guy she was dating and me. The place was dead, just us at the bar and a couple groups of 50 something’s at tables having dinner. I look over at the door and in comes the VanHalen band and a couple of business types talking to the hostess. There was about 30 or 40 feet between them and us and they were heading straight our way. I was trying to think of something funny to say, I’ve never been star struck but I’m thinking if I can make an impression, well who knows.

I don’t remember the album but MTV was playing the video a lot for the song “baby come on” (or something like that. It’s the one Eddie does the country kind of pickin on). Anyway Sammy is wearing the same ratty flannel shirt he was wearing in the video! So I’m being cool just looking around and keeping them in the corner of my eye. None of the others with me had seen them. Just as they’re walking up I looked over and said “hey fellas…..Jesus Sam is that the only shirt you own? The whole group cracked up, gave me a smile and kept walkin. The ex asked who was that?, me; oh just the VanHalen band. It got a lot of laughs from my friends.

We left them alone and tried not to gawk too much. It was kinda funny besides us and the wait staff no one in the place knew who they were.

That's a great story! I'm going to have a tough time getting tickets - they go on sale for Minneapolis at 11:00 Saturday - but I'll be walking around a big dusty field looking at sled parts! : ) must ... get ... tickets ..... lol

Speaking of tickets - you can't get them to save your a*s the day they go on sale, so I ended up getting them from one of the "aftermarket" ticket outlets on the internet - my only concern is, the ticket is just a piece of paper (like an e-ticket) that looks like it would be very easy to duplicate - I won't know until I walk into the show and they scan it if in fact it has been duplicated, but I'm curious, what do the rest of you guys do for tickets these days for concerts, and sporting events?? - are these wholesale liquidators legit, or do I have reason to be concerned??? :dunno:

I use ticket dealers all the time for events when I entertain customers.
I haven't been screwed yet. Most of the companies I've used are local but have still done the deal on the interweb. Do a google of the company if your concerned. Also if you used a credit card your protected but it would still be a drag to get there and have no seat.

Bischof - I used "ticket hub" - ever used them? - not to sound stupid, but when you say "google" them - what is that? - do I go to google and do a search on them?

I'm not familure with ticket hub, that's not to say I haven't used them it's just that in the words of Alberto Gonzalez, "I don't recall"

What I meant by google them is to do a google search, check out their site. Do they have an address? phone number? any info on years in business, etc.

If your really concerned about the tickets, take them to the box office of the venue and have them confirm they're legit.

I know I am gonna get flamed for this, But I cant stand David Lee Roth.

That being said, I do indeed like the old heavier (pre Hagar) Van Halen music better but prefur Sammy as a singer dating all the way back to his Montrose days.

Let the flames begin!!

:die:

DLR should put on a good show - I liked VH both ways I guess. I agree Sammy is a better singer, though.

xsivhp said:
DLR should put on a good show - I liked VH both ways I guess. I agree Sammy is a better singer, though.
After Sammy joined VH, Dave was quoted as saying that Sammy was "mediocre talent" since then we all know the spectacular solo carrer that Dave set off on. LOL. Without VH there is no Dave, although his 1st solo album wasnt too bad with Steve Via on guitar.

Sorry for stealing your thread xsivhp, I should have just said "I'm not"

That's allright - good to talk about past historic events - remember how people called VH with hagar Van Hagar? lol uh, yes, the 80's - simpler times my friend - and a 500cc snowmobile was like WOW fast!! lol

Van Hagar - yes I remember all too well LOL. Big hair and spandex man, wow that is scary to even think about. That was when Rob Halford from Judas Priest was cool with all that leather!! really makes me re-think the whole Turbo Lover thing - LMAO

My 540 SRV with like 60hp or something seemed pretty fast LOL

eewww - Rob Halford, if only we'd known ... that whole album just doesn't seem as cool as it did in the day lol!

Went to the show last night at Cobo - friggin awesome!!! - boys can still rock -Eddie's son Wolfgang was on bass - Alex slammed the skins for two hours straight like he was still twenty years old!!!! - seen ALOT of concerts in my day and this one rates right up there!! - going again Monday night!!! - good thing I can read because I won't be able to hear!!! LOL ;)! ;):D :rockon: :WayCool:

one of our local rock station dj's said that eddie forgot the words during a song and actually stopped playing, looked at the crowd and said into the mic.," i can't believe i forgot the freekin' words!" that had to be hillarious! but he did say the show was awesome!

Second show was even better - here are some pics!!!

Attachments

• van halen 1.JPG
    van halen 1.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 3
  • van halen 3.JPG
    van halen 3.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 1
  • van halen 4.JPG
    van halen 4.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 4
A few more!!!!

Attachments

• van halen 5.JPG
    van halen 5.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 2
  • van halen 7.JPG
    van halen 7.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 1
  • van halen 12.JPG
    van halen 12.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 1
Geez, when I saw VH in 78 they played backup to Black Sabbath. Sabbath about got booed off the stage trying to follow VH. I kind of thought VH went down hill from there.

Back