refining oil

blue missile

i'm sure someone here will have an answer to this. when refining oil do they get a certain amount of each product out of each barrell of crude, or do can they make what ever amounts of what product is in demand at that time?

Yes, they get a certain amount of EACH PRODUCT from the "cracking towers" BUT,,, they can curtail it to produce more of one product and less of another.. There are still certain 'rules" that you have no choice but to obey,,,, There are different ways to refine crude oil to get it to produce different products....

The refineries around CHICAGO ( EXXON MOBIL and BP) use FRACTIONAL distilling methods which produce certain amounts of EACH of the different byproducts.... They also use a method called "conversion". They use one of the FRACTIONal byproducts (lets say, DIESEL FUEL) and chemically convert it into GASOLINE if the market calls for MORE gasoline.... CHEMICAL CONVERSION still has to be done at one of the FRACTIONAL distilling points and it COSTS THE OIL COMPANIES MORE MONEY TO CONVERT A BYPRODUCT.... so, BLUE,, the QUESTION you had about refining oil has REALLY a 2 part answer...... 1st... they DO GET a certain amount of each product, and 2nd..... they can ALSO MAKE A LOT MORE of whatever product is in demand at the time.... Gary Oles nosboy

I couldn't work for some MULTI BILLION dollar company making 36-40K a Year keeping them from LAWSUITS,, so,, I try and PRACTICE whenever I can!!! I could probably write a BOOK on the subject,,,but,,, lets say I've said enough to answer your question!!! It ALWAYS interested me WHY thinks did what they did!!! it also interests me on how I can gt things to do OTHER THINGS than what they were designed to do.... Take for instance 45-0-0- lawn fertilizer (ammonium nitrate) and a box of MR.BUBBLE.... I got into BIG TROUBLE one 4th of july with THAT ONE!!!!! I think the STATUTE of limitations ran out on that one!!!! STILL don't want to elaborate!!!!!

Hey bm, you just wanted to get Gary started on oil again didn't you?
Its kinda quiet around here, I think we should ask Gary to explain about the that awesome product yamalube! Just playin Gary! LOL!
I really do like reading all of his posts about oil.
Rick.

from what i know a barrel of oil is 42 u.s. gallons out of that barrel they get several different products.
1.68 gallons liquid refinery gas
19.19 gal motor gas
.08 galaviation gas
.63 gal naptha jet
3.61 gal kero jet
.21 gal kerosene
8.73 gal distillate fuel oil
2.89 gal.residual fuel oil
1.21 gal. other oil
.50 gal. lube oil
1.68 gal. wax and coke
1.30 gal. asphalt and road oil
2.05 gal. still gas
.21 gal. misc./aromatic extracts

i was kind of fascinated the first time i read about this stuff. sound sto me like nosboy is very familiar with this and works around it alot! so i am sure he knows alot more about this!
so what do you do nosboy? i see your from chicago area! me too i live south west of town and i have worked in several of the refineries around lemont and channahon area doing construction! union carpenter here! would be cool to run in to you some time at one of these plants!

I fix drawbridges for the City of Chicago!! I had a double bypass a week or so ago, so,,,, its hard to even type at times... A NEW surgery,, ROBITIC double bypass,,, They call it a CABBAGE, Now I sit at home and wait for the next load of PAIN MEDS!!! Gary Oles nosboy

Back