Doing some minor work on my Viper..

kimoaj

Hi guys!

Gees it`s been a while since I started a new thread here.. been a while since my last post on the forum too. I tend to somewhat forget my sled when the summer comes.. and to my huge disappointment I also read less on the forum. But that`s just the way it is I guess.. .

Anyway, I`ve moved to town now, about 65kilomteres from home. I started working at the local Yamaha dealer in the beginning of September.

So far the only sled wrenching I`ve done is an oil change on a Rage, adjusted track and replaced some bushings in the front suspension. But soon it will be more sled wrenching:).

Anyway, as some of you maybe remember I traded my 04 Warrior for a 03 SX Viper Mountain at the end of last season. The Viper only has about 2500km`s on the clocks but it looks messy.

The trailingarms/radius rods looks horrible, just everything else on the sled.. basically.. hehe. I havent decided wether I will paint the hood or not.. I basically don`t have the money since the apprentice salary sucks, but I would really like to paint it black. I`ll do the prep work my self and leave the spraying to a pro, my paint booth is too rotten.

For now my plan is to repaint the trailing arms /radius rods and the rear bumber. Polish the footboards, polish the ski mounts, get a lower black windshield. I got a blue seat last winter, since I saw a black/blue conversion coming, but now I`m in doubt wether to go for it or not.. since the respray of the hood will be $. We`ll see.

Gees I kind of got a dejau experience yesterday, the whole process of starting a new "project" reminded me the nice days I spent in the shop with SRX last year.

HPIM2862Medium.jpg

HPIM2864Medium.jpg

Outside my workshop..

HPIM2865Medium.jpg

Messy.. .

HPIM2866Medium.jpg

HPIM2867Medium.jpg

Had to see how the blue seat turned out with the red hood.. hehe.. .

Last edited:

HPIM2868Medium.jpg

Messy.. .

HPIM2874Medium.jpg

The sled likes a little hugging:).

HPIM2875Medium.jpg

The good old Yamaha powerplant.

HPIM2876Medium.jpg

Can you see me?.

HPIM2881Medium.jpg

Parts removed.

HPIM2897Medium.jpg

Messy.. bad repair by the previous owner.

A few years ago I was given several hundred kg`s of sandblasting sand.. only thing is it was to coarse (rough?) for my blasting pistol.. so.. .

HPIM2896Medium.jpg

Takes some time.. hehe.

HPIM2898Medium.jpg

Messy.

HPIM2899Medium.jpg

After a little blasting, only removed the rust spots, then I actually sprayed some WD40 so that they wount be all rusty when I get back home next weekend.. hehe.

Well well that`s all for now.. .

:).

Joakim.

Last edited:
kimoaj when I see your post it is always cool to see the other side of the world. Keep us posted on the viper cleanup.

viper7mi: Thanks:). I also think it`s cool to see what happens across the pond, hehe.

blue_missile: Yup I will, I have a "silicone remover", bought it from a professional paint dealer (who sells paint to car painters).

Today I visited two paintshops that are located only 50meters from the bike shop where I work, one guy said $230 (paint included), other said $300, in both cases I had to to the prep work myself.

But now another thing came up, the clutch on my car is about to go to "the ever lasting hunting fields" (Norwegian expression) , so I might need a new one which will be $.

I hope to get the trailingarms/radius rods painted this weekend, if I don`t have to wrench on my car.. .

Wellwell I`ll keep you posted.

Joakim.

I suppose shipping would rule it out but if your talking US dollars I could help you and get them powder coated here for you, I just got a whole bunch of stuff powdercoated and it was $113, your trailing arms would be less I'm thinking. Its just a local guy here in a building in the middle of no where Iowa, USA, every thing is cheap here. Nice project, look forward to the pictures again missed ya this summer!

Hi there Kinger!. That`s a good idea and I really appreciate the offer. But I think it`s like you say, the shipping will rule it out, but I guess I could get an estimate and take it from there.
However I wonder if you can use bondo on dents/scratches and still get them powdercoated?. Or does it have to be clean metal ?.
Basically the only thing that works on parts like these are powdercoating.. atleast in the long run.. .
If there is one thing I would like to complain about when it comes to Yamaha snowmobiles, it`s the paint jobs on the front suspension, sucks!.
Might have something to do with the lack of snow / rocks / bushes, but still .. :).

I will check some prices on powdercoating here in Norway, just for fun.

Thanks again Kinger:).

i have some trailingarms lying in the garage if you need å new one.. =)

Hi guys!

Brauten:), are they used (I suppose?), what condition?.

Tomseal6: I really like the job, although the first week was kind of "tough". But know when I start to feel comfortable with the people/shop, it`s better. It`s so nice to look forward to going to work:).

This week we got 5 new sleds, two Phazers, two Venture lite and a Multi purpose. I didn`t get to wrench on them, but it was nice to have them in the shop:).

This month we will be going to Alta (a city in the north of Norway) on a Yamaha training course, only lasts for one day, but still, will be cool.
I`ll shot some pictures from the shop so that you can see where I work:).

Pro116 thanks alot for the reply, I`ve been missing you guys.
Gees I think I will paint the hood black and paint the headlight cover white, and then use a black low windscreen.. .

I`d like to build an awesome sled but I just can`t afford to, I gotta save some money so that I can buy a bike when the summer comes. And gees don`t kill me, I`m thinking of a Harley. (only thinking).

Wellwell I`ll keep you posted:).

Joakim.

kimoaj said:
Hi there Kinger!. That`s a good idea and I really appreciate the offer. But I think it`s like you say, the shipping will rule it out, but I guess I could get an estimate and take it from there.
However I wonder if you can use bondo on dents/scratches and still get them powdercoated?. Or does it have to be clean metal ?.
Basically the only thing that works on parts like these are powdercoating.. atleast in the long run.. .
If there is one thing I would like to complain about when it comes to Yamaha snowmobiles, it`s the paint jobs on the front suspension, sucks!.
Might have something to do with the lack of snow / rocks / bushes, but still .. :).

I will check some prices on powdercoating here in Norway, just for fun.

Thanks again Kinger:).

Wow just for fun i typed in a 30lb box from my zip to oslo Norway and it was 2808 NOK, not sure how much that is US dollars but it seems high!

Yes they are used, they look new.
they are of a srx, but i think they are the same

Hi guys!

Sad about the expensive shipping.. but that`s just the way it is:).

On Saturday I sanded the trailingarms & radius rods.
First with 240 then with 600, ofcourse with water.

HPIM2900Medium.jpg

HPIM2901Medium.jpg

HPIM2902Medium.jpg

Masked off the bushings

HPIM2903Medium.jpg

Ready to be primed.

HPIM2905Medium.jpg

primed.

HPIM2906Medium.jpg

After painting, I`m really happy with the look, looks almost 100% as stock.

HPIM2907Medium.jpg

HPIM2908Medium.jpg

I think I will order new trailingarm decals & the lower bushings for them at work , hopefully I`ll get them somewhat cheaper. I should be able to get them mounted this weekend, hope so.

As for the hood I havent decided what to do.
I`m thinking of just spot repairing the minor scratches and then put clear over everything to make the hood shiny again.
We`ll see:).

Joakim.

that is alot of flake

if anyone needs the code for the silver yamaha uses it is m1930k in dupont cromabase

that looks purdy, way better finish than stock.

you should do some suspension parts as well.

also do the springs in ohlins yellow. looks very good, code 218A alt 1 mix it in centari or other single stage. last very well

Back