powervalve cleaning

fasttoys17

so what i do when im bored! i think up stuff to do. so today its clean the powervalves. these im thinking are about do. there was a lil build up as to be expected with 1800miles on this sled. i took it apart today and prolly order new gaskets on monday from the local rip off joint! OH i mean dealer

Attachments

• power valves on viper 006 (Small).jpg
    power valves on viper 006 (Small).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
  • power valves on viper 008 (Small).jpg
    power valves on viper 008 (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 11
  • power valves on viper 007 (Small) (2).jpg
    power valves on viper 007 (Small) (2).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 15
  • power valves on viper 009 (Small).jpg
    power valves on viper 009 (Small).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 7

Looks like normal build up,not to bad for 1800 miles,what oil you use?

give 'em a good cleaning,did you have any oil leaks from the PV housings?

i always use yamaha 2 stroke oil. no leaks so far. sled still runs awsome (knock on wood). prolly for the next month i will be cleaning it all up getting it ready.

Well carry on then clean 'em good and do a search on adjusting Viper
PV's, it probobly needs that too.

Oh and start using a full synthetic oil
like Amsoil,Klotz, etc., dump the yamasluge.

when adjusting those valves do you need that tool that allows you to hook up to a battery to adjust them or is there a easier route

you can make your own outa some wire and a fuse, very easy to do, read this thread here post #15

i made my own i use..and then do a search on adjusting PV's lots to read on
how it's done.

yup you can do that too but i don't like the idea of having to start the engine.

wait i think on vipers you can just turn the key to the on position and it will
set the servo..

so ill work on it tomorrow i have to put my pipe back on and i will go from there. ill prolly make a wire kit tomorrow at work

what do they mean when they say that the cable is pulled threw does its break off inside the valve? or is the cable just broken when you take it apart

so i say hell with those yamaha instructions on how to adjust your powervalves. so this is what i did i got some of this from allen ulmer. i used the service port on the right hand side of my sled for the powervalves. i made my own inline fuse and hooked it to the two red wires and took the black wire and hooked it to ground and turned on ignition. which then fully opened my powervalves. so here is where it changes to allens theory i removed the exhaust manifold and reached up and felt if the powervalves were flush or not. 2 of them were not flush. so adjusted those cables up at the servo and within 5 min i was going back together and she fired up after 20 min i took the time to torque the 10mm nuts to put back on the manifold. i thought this was way easier. wish i would have taken some pics. thanks again (Daman,Srxspec,and shortstop20)

we are now ready for snow!!!!! :letitsnow :o|

Ya, feeling to see if the valves are flush with the exhaust port is definitely the easiest way. The instructions in the manual are in English but it's like reading French, way too confusing. Allen had to take the Nytro , I wanted to sit on it and make vroom, vroom sounds. LOL

^^ I disagree

fasttoys17 said:
so i say hell with those yamaha instructions on how to adjust your powervalves.
The thing is FT is yammie's way is the best and fstest way please do a search on "power valve adjustment"

if done right (using a 2.5mm allen wrench)it will get them spot on,i've done
it many times after i learned how and they came out right on.

the reason yamaha tells you to set the clearance at 2.5mm is so the cable isnt pulled taunt every time the valve opens, when you pull the pipes and adjust them with your finger ,they are bottomend out and thats why you pull the cables out thru the valve ends, theres no performance differance as the edge of the valve is what raises the roof of the exh.port and its way back inside when adjusted properly to the spec that yamaha gives you.
:)

Last edited:
so adjusting them flush with your finger will do more damage than good? when i had the pipe off the valves where all pretty close they needed a slight adjustment on every cylinder

so if i were to adjust it yamahas way now would i find that the adjustment would be off?

Back