My Black SRX Project

nailsandrails

VIP Member
Here is a link to a bunch of pictures I took while building my Black 2002 SRX over the summer:(Sorry they are not in order)
Black SRX

Almost all parts came off of the great people from this site. Special thanks to MrViper for the porting, and BETHEVIPER for the widening kit and viper shocks up front. Rich has also been great to deal with. Here is a list of the current set-up:
1. Front end widened to 42in. along with Viper shocks
2. All blue panels replaced with black
3. Engine ported by Don - Runs great!!!
4. M-10 in rear with re-valved shocks and completely polished rails
5. Tunnel polished and coated with POR 15 (Rails coated too)
6. 07 Apex bars added with aluminum throttle block
7. Hacksaw track with 192 fas-trac studs. (Black backers on the way from Rich)
8. Heel clickers with 48/40 Advant-edge helix
9. Black seat cover
10. Heads painted black along with polished exhaust.

I'm sure I am missing some things, but that is most of it. I have a few things to finish up, but it is close to ready for snow. I have had it out on the grass after putting the motor together. Can't wait!!!

looks nice!

I think you should get some silver SRX stickers though for the hood.

And I was not aware POR15 made a clear. So, am I right thinking that if you polish the tunnel, then pOR15 clear it, you should not have any polishing nightmare?

That's a great idea if that is what you did!

That is what I did with the tunnel. Honestly I did a poor job of applying it though. With it being clear I didn't see some runs and brush marks. I also should have polished better before putting the clear on. I was getting tired of the project at that time. :( Hopefully it works out.

I don't plan to put decals on it right now. I like the "unknown" look. I will be putting the small tuning fork on the front - center of the hood though. It's already got a black background so it will match.

Thanks for the feedback!

hey, the guys that like to polish their sportbike frames and wheels will love this tip.

I know one guy who would end up polishing his frame and wheels more than he was riding his bike. LOL

I know the black POR15 stuff is nice to use for blacking out the aluminum frame on bikes, it's just a big PITA if you decide you don't like the black frame anymore.

that Black POR15 works great for coating rusty items, and even as a protector for skid plates and such. I plan on doing the underside of my jeep with that for rust and scratch resistance.

How about an Ovation Sticker ;)

Thanks Magoo. I am almost done. I just need to buff out the hood really. I worked on some odds and ends last night. Could be done done by the end of next week. Clutching will be the only thing left to get dialed in. :letitsnow :letitsnow

Looking sharp man, I may have to start a porject as soon as the damn bank accepts my offer on a house....

looks sweet! where you get the aluminum throttle block? looking for any and all info on the apex bars on older sleds :) just color match the wires? thanks!

snow dust ill hook you up with some chrome SRX decals if your interested that would look sick and dont worry about the cost its free just cuz that sled is so sweet(hows that crewcheif ) i said FREE lol

for 200 i have an offset axle and 8in rear wheels you could polish up real nice. they are solid wheels so you cant have studs on the outside. not sure how you studded.

I actually have the ZX2 skid now, so no need for the offset axel. I got the throttle block from http://www.cpcracing.com/site/256083

I think I am going to stick with the plain black look. If you have some pics of the decals I wouldn't mind taking a look. Send to kurt4044@yahoo.com. I appreciate the offer!! Here are a couple more current pics. Thanks for the compliments as well. ;)! :rockon:

Attachments

• IMG_4240 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4240 (Medium).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4242 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4242 (Medium).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 50
avasdaddy, Crew is only following my rules that have been set on the site..... be careful how you respond and have some respect for me and the site rules.

sled looks great snowdust - my throttle block cracked and instead of replacing with a stock plastic one I like the idea of the billet one that you have. One question I have - how does the oil pump cable hook up? It looks like it's hanging in most of your pics. Also, what did you do with the throttle override and kill switch wires?

Last edited:
Thanks!! It's slipping my mind right now, but I think I used either a MM or Viper mountain throttle cable that goes two into one up to the throttle block. I disabled the TORS, and added an aftermarket kill switch.. Well a tether switch actually.

Sled looks great. How wide did you go with the front and what do you mean "Venture sway bar"?

I went 2" wider. 4" would have required shocks longer than a Viper so that was the easiest option.

I put a sway bar out of a Venture in it this year which is 2mm thicker than the stock bar. It's supposed to help with cornering... We'll see. I was very happy with the handling last year, but always looking for a little more. I also went to straight rate springs up front this year.

Back