Questions about installing DG pipe on 91 Exciter

JonMN

I called DG and they said to bump up 2 sizes on the mains, they couldnt really tell me anything else. Is there anything else I should do. Anyone out there that have tried the DG pipe on your Exciter? The one I am getting is nickle plated. Should I maybe bump up the pilots at all? The sled has a new Comet clutch with silver spring A1 weights, secondary is stock. Any other carb ajustments that I should do? I ride in central MN. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Jon

Hmm...Olav Aaen has a great set up for Exciters. I had an '87 with a bender pipe on it for a short while, and his set up was SPOT ON, and he came up with it off the top of his head. the guy knows what he's talking about! They've got a website too, search for it, not sure what it is.

The clutch you've got there is filled with parts for a stock Exciter, so I'd assume you'd be over revving by a big margin, losing alot of power and reliability. give Olav a ring, he'll set ya right. Good luck!

dg pipe

WOW! where did you get that DG pipe? I can find the black ones any where, but i have looked a whole year for a nickel plated and never found one, those are rare. I was trying to win one on ebay and it was used and ended at $400. I couldn't go that high for a pipe. I was going to put it on my exciter II sx, but put a bender one instead. I had the dealer set it up and i added a thundershift clutch kit and it worked great.

Doh! And I sold it for $75... Oh well, did you get it yet Jon?

Let me know when you do.

Thanks

no i havent seen it yet ryan, when did you send it? do you have the tracking number for it? thanks

jon

Speak of the devil.......it just arrived! looks pretty good after i polished it up. where you took the exit part off, what fills those wholes on the side? just a pop rivet? i see the circlip is there, and that spring. but what fills those side holes? Thanks ryan.

jon

Yeah, just a couple of pop rivets to secure that in there. I took the stinger off to ship so it wouldn't get busted off in transit. Enjoy!

The '91 &'92 exciters were the dogs of the Exciter L/C line,sorry to say. They had them snuffed down with the ignition. With a Comet though ,run a tall Polaris red or tall Comet blue spring. They have good preload ,but a low shift rate. Also use 10M Polaris wts. around 49 grams. with stock secondary 39 deg. helix. You should be able to run either stock jetting or 1 jet size up on the carbs. They were kind of fat from the factory to begin with. You could also split the headgasket for a little more punch. good luck....I have owned many Exciters and used to have a DG pipe on one of them too.

J-man

Back