Michigan DNR/Grooming

yamadooski

As of right now there is no contract between the DNR and grooming associations and the trail permit money has not been given to the clubs for grooming and they can't get out on the trails. Here's a post you should read.

We're from Ohio and ride in the Cadillac are several times per year. I've sent emails to the governor and several others about this issue. I've talked with Rick at Lost Pines and the groomer was out prior to the snow panning the trails, where exactly I don't know. He did mention this has happened before and thru donations from riders and local businesses the associations kept grooming so here's the thought. I'll be up this weekend and everywhere we go in Cadillac, Messick, Irons, Wellston, etc. talk to the folks at the bar/restaurant and have them put out donation jars. This way at least we can get some money to them for operations. I'm not willing to let some worthless piece of crap bureacrat/governor/DNR screw up my season.

Don't think for minute you can protest by not buying a sticker cause you'll get a ticket. They've already been out checking. Also, if we boycott the ones who really suffer are our friends who own businesses up north who rely on riders like us for most of their revenue.

One last note. Send nice but firm e mails to anyone and everyone you can think of at DNR and upstream to Lansing. Hopefully they'll get their head out of their asses and realize how much revenue to the state and locals would be lost if this turns into more of a debacle and the word gets out no grooming, trails suck, time to go elsewhere.
From another post: It's true, the DNR is keeping the grant sponsers from grooming. I really didn't believe that this would happen but it has. Any clubs that are grooming are doing so at risk.. they have no liability coverage, and are NOT getting paid. Here we have the best start to the winter in 10 years and the DNR is killing it. Here are two email addresses that if you have the time and you care about having great trails to ride this year.... Kevin Elsenheimer, State Rep. (Who has been helping but needs to hear our many voices) kevinelsenheimer@house.mi.gov and the second is that of James Radabaugh he's the guy at the DNR that is SCREWING WITH THE GRANT SPONSERS WHO GROOM OUR TRAILS AND IS SCREWING WITH ALL THE SNOWMOBILERS IN THE STATE AS WELL AS OUTSIDE OF MICHIGAN... His email is radabauj@michigan.gov Now before you do anything else take 5 minutes and send both of these guys a letter or two.

Grooming

Just received this message from Kevin.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone for contacting my office this morning concerning the lack of snowmobile grooming in northern Michigan. It is through communications like yours that help my office respond to such matters.

I have been working with the Michigan Snowmobile Association (MSA) and local clubs regarding yearly grant agreements between snowmobile clubs and the MDNR that provide for such things as reimbursement for local grooming.

This morning, after receiving your e-mails, I personally contacted the MDNR. Unfortunately, it has taken more than three week for the department to compose the new agreements pursuant to its meeting with MSA in early November where a compromise was reached.

I am afraid the MDNR doesn’t quite understand the urgency and importance that grooming provides to both tourism and the snowmobiling in northern Michigan. So, I have taken the liberty of sharing your sentiments with them as well as my own in order to remind the department how essential grooming services are us in the north.

In conveying our concerns and frustrations to the MDNR, it is my understanding that the department will be sending out grant agreements to local clubs tomorrow morning. Every club should have them within the next day or two. I would urge local clubs to review and sign the agreements as soon as possible.

According to the MSA, these agreements should now reflect the compromise reached back in November. In the interim, I am placing pressure on the department to allow the local clubs to begin grooming operations upon the signature of the local club.

I would encourage you to keep me aware of anything you might be hearing locally concerning this issue. I continue to stand ready and willing to assist local businesses, snowmobile groups and citizens that have any further concerns about this matter.

Thank you again for contacting me. I appreciate everyone bringing this to my attention and hope things will be expedited as a result of our pressure on the MDNR.

Sincerely,

Kevin

good news!

Keep us posted. Even though I have not ridden in MI (yet), as I live in a neighboring state, I am paying attention.

I am amazed that it got to this point.

Grooming

Here is the latest from Kevin:
I wanted to update everyone who contacted me yesterday again concerning the status of my communications with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources over grooming.

I am please to announce that according to the MDNR, the following actions have been taken since yesterday:

All grant agreements have been sent out to local clubs
Pursuant to my request, the department is allowing grooming to commence upon the earliest date by which the local club can fax back the grant agreement to Lansing
This is very good news and wouldn’t have been made possible without your help and intervention. Please continue to keep my office appraised of what transpires with regard to this important issue.

Snowmobiling, the local tourism commerce it generates and efforts that are made to improve the well-being of local economy are paramount right now in Michigan and I continue to stand ready to assist in any capacity I can.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns. I appreciate your communications.

Sincerely,

Kevin A. Elsenheimer

---------------------------------------
Kevin A. Elsenheimer
State Representative
105th House District

Contact Information:
State Representative Kevin A. Elsenheimer
Michigan Legislature, 105th House District
PO Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909
kevinelsenheimer@house.mi.gov
Toll Free: 1-877-536-4105
(517) 373-0829
Fax: (517) 373-1841

Here is the email I received back today:

Thank you for your email expressing your concerns regarding Michigan's Snowmobile Trails. Staff of the Department of Natural Resources (Department) share your concern with the grooming status of the State designated snowmobile trail system.

Trail grooming grant agreements, which provide for payment for grooming to the trail sponsors, have been sent by the Department of Natural Resources to all 67 trail grant sponsors. Over half of the trail sponsors have signed and returned their grant to the Department and have approval to groom as of December 3. It is unfortunate that a few trail sponsors are talking about not signing the grants, grooming, or opening gates to trails that would have allowed the public to snowmobile on these trails.

During the 2006-2007 trail season the Department of Natural Resource issued $5.7 million in grants to cover the trail grant sponsors costs that are permitted by law, such as trail grooming, brushing and signing trails, special trail maintenance projects, grading, utilities, insurances, snow plowing, land lease payments, equipment maintenance, port-a-jon leases and new trail development projects. The Department projects the 2007-2008 season grant outlay will exceed last season, depending on snowfall, plus an additional expenditure of $1.1 million for grants to the trail sponsors for new grooming equipment.

The Department has a very good relationship with the majority of our trail sponsors, and we will continue to work together towards the goal of having the best Snowmobile Trail System in the Nation. The Department believes it is imperative to make business decisions that will ensure the long-term financial viability of the Snowmobile Program.

It is our expectation that the remaining trail sponsors will be signing their grant agreements soon, and trails will be groomed as in past snowmobile seasons.

Sincerely,

Jim Radabaugh, Section Manager
Recreation and Trails Section
Forest, Mineral and Fire Management
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
PO Box 30452
Lansing MI 48909-7952

oh canada

oh CANADA where is my passport, to the land of groomed superhighways. what is the big hold up with the grooming agreements seems like the way they waited until the 11th hour is blackmail. sign up now or evey small business in your town will need chapter 11. could Paradise MI make it with no sleds. maybe the gov. has a big auto plant ready to move to the UP. the only company's making any money under her are u-haul. Maybe the GOV and a couple SENATORS should visit Paradise, Seney, Grand Marais and notice the guys with helmets making the cash registers humm all winter. Couple guys from northern indiana just got back from up north said they rode in 2 ft fresh from paradise to seney on sunday dec 2 and did'nt see any grooming. He packed his airbox with podwer on his f-10 sound like a great start. The gals at the Taq falls last year were crying about no sleds all of dec.. no sleds = no money for them.

Last edited:

Back