open or closed window

Underdog

What's the best track set up for ice...closed window(lighter track) w/wheels or open window (heavier track) w/ no wheels(hyfax)? Thanks.

To each his own. This year I am trying a closed window track. I think there would be more benefit from the lighter weight, and the fact that there are no windows to catch all kinds of unwanted air that causes all kinds of turbulance inside the skid.

Depends on what you are going to do on the ice. 660 drags either one. Depends if you use anti-ratchets. But if you are going to run speed runs 1000/2000' you might want to check out a camoplast speed run track. It has no lugs/no windows and only weighs 17 lbs.

True, but the significant savings in weight should outweigh (no pun intended) the extra hp it takes to turn it, and there are no windows to result in extra unwanted turbulance.

More Turbulance? We are only talking about approx 24 extra holes. I can't see that it would have a big effect aerodynamically, but I’m not an expert in the field either.

If I’m going forward at 110+ MPH and air is rushing into the skid from the sides, would it be better to have holes at the back to let some of it out? Would the lack of holes would act like a parachute and slow you down.

In the end, I still can’t see how 24 extra/fewer holes would make much of a difference either way. :bash:

I vote for open with oversized wheels.

Last edited:
It makes quite a difference as the speeds get higher. At 110 you wouldn't notice anything. At 150 it makes quite a difference. There's a reason they don't make carpet tracks with windows.

valin said:
Stud pressure only tends to be uneven if you don't run enough wheels and proper spacing.

The pressure is uneven because the weight is applied with a wheel radius. Add more wheels, add more pressure points. But a stud "feels" the most pressure when it's under a wheel, less as it moves away. You can get both to work. But if you add 10LBS of extra wheels and studs to make a 5LBS lighter track work (almost as well as a open window) is it still worth it?

For 660' the open works in most any ice... bolt in and go.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I did anything with a sled for top speed runs...years...but we always made better MPH without a front air dam. Ran 3~5 mph faster without it. We also Armor All inside the track to keep the drivers from pulling at speed.

Last edited:
In 660 I would use open with kicker plates.You get maximum traction becuse of the rail pressure and the studs can't flex back because the plates are welded to your track clips.
1000 ft speed runs i haven't seen much of a difference between a closed windoe and open window speed track there 2 lbs difference.

Back