Kingers garage RX1-Pex DONE...long diary inside

kinger

VIP Member
Well its been a long summer, and a very long process to get my sled ready for this winter. I’m so ecstatic to finally make this post I giggle as I type this. First a little background on how this project turned into a project and a project I did not want, need, or have to time to do.

I bought the sled from CB performance last year 2006. On paper it was my dream sled, it had the lightweight front end polished to a briallant shine, it had the nitrous system, all clutched, geared, turn key. It is first and foremost a groomed trail sled with the touch of a button will run 156mph on the dream o meter. Plus at a price I could afford. I was elated I sold my 02 viper which was my first Yamaha that I loved but I DID not want to rebuild the engine and from previous sleds 5000 miles the sleds were junk, not worth anything, and you couldn’t even sell, so I sold mine with 3300 miles and I got what I wanted from some nice guys in Canada. (only after did I learn how wrong I was about 2 stroke yamahas)

On to the RX1, it was a beautiful sled, the LE paint is a real treat and no picture shows how good they look in real life. I loved it, drove 3 hours to meet Bruce half way we made the exchange I bought a 10lb mother bottle of nitrous and a way we went.

1st ride:
This sled is LOUD, it vibrates, its rough, and overall tipp’ier then heck. I was not impressed, now that is coming from a dialed in viper that couldn’t take a bump either but at least it handled like a slot car. I bought an edge skid after the first ride.

2nd ride:
Edge skid is in and AWESOME we also finally got some snow. We put on 30 miles then I bounced off a drift and the left side panel busted and stuck out flapping in the wind. Some duct tape and away we go, then I hit another drift funny and cracked the gauge pod, pissed me off. The last straw was I lost a polished A-arm going over a cornfield that was plowed and the snow had blown off of. It was one of those situations where we were just stuck and had to go through it. Damn... my buddy drove back to the truck and trailer and picked me up in the field. I cannot blame the front end kit, it was abused. Despite that CB took care of me and practically gave me a new A arm. However I needed steel so they sent me the orginal kit and had misplaced the upper so they ordered me a new upper from Yamaha. Stand up guys at CB!

3rd ride:
Drove 10 hours to get to Lead, SD I was PUMPED to whoop up on this buddy of mine with a mach Z who never stops talking. This time the sway bar broke at the end link, I had it welded but broke the other side the next day, had it welded and it broke again. Rode the rest of the trip without a sway bar and it SUCKED. Not only that I had 10” carbides on the skis it darted all over and I couldn’t get a big enough shim in it. It was miserable. The last straw was my Dad’s Vector lost a jackshaft bearing at 900 miles, he had it in for the recall and the dealer didn’t tighten the locking collar down is my guess it worked off and then let loose. That was a trip ender we left for home 2 days early and very disappointed in our Yamahas consider we were with a Cat and Doo that ran perfect.

4th Ride:
Sled was running good, I was enjoying the no sway bar in the ditches of Iowa, front end just soaked up the bumps, loved it! About 50 miles from home, idiot light came on and sled was hot. I pulled off to the side and it was empty on coolant and running out from underneath. Diagnosed later has a cracked stud on the engine block behind the waterpump! Engine had to come out to repair it. I was bummed here I was thinking my dream sled and the only trip it didn’t break it was so annoying I hated it.

Last Ride in April!!
Of all things we got like 8” of snow in April after it had been 70 degrees! I filled up the coolant duct tapped everything and I finally got to try the nitrous! I went through a bottle in about 30 seconds and hit 156 mph. Track ratcheted bad no matter what speed. Sled ran good I fogged it and put away my beaten and battered new sled full of duct tape, leaking coolant, half RX front end Half CB, with a polaris skid. Overall it was a depressing site since I need to have things perfect. I had a decision to make.

Sell or make my own? I choose the later not wanting to sell to anybody and have that guilt.

I decided to make it my own the heck with resale, the heck with money pits, I just wanted to get it back and better then I had gotten it and I wanted it to be set up for 10,000 TROUBLE FREE miles.

Fast forward to July project starts:
Over the spring/summer I found some decent deals on parts I needed and started dreaming about what I could do to mine. The main components I bought for mine were:

Apex GT a arms
GYTR clicker shocks
13MM sway bar with new end links
Simmons Flexi skis
Apex GT seat
AD Bolvin ZX2
9833 track
144 1.4” studs
Doo Extro Drivers
Nitrous button on bars instead of TPS
Iso Vibe bar risor

In addition to that I needed a lot of maint/repair items I ended up with this:

Nylatron bushings for front suspension
All new drive line bearings
New side panels
New shock tower plastic
New Gauge pod plastic
All new bolts for front suspension, old ones were stretched or stripped out
Rear heat exchanger since I get into low snow
Water pump rebuild
EVAC factory catch can
New K&N filters as the old ones were shot
Fuel pump for nitrous
Jackshaft update from my 03
Clutch was shot and cracked – Ulmer rebuilt it from scratch pretty much

The work starts:

I took my time, heck its July for petes sake! I labeled every connection, every components bolts and fasteners went into labeled baggies, took over 10 hours to remove the engine. Took it to my dealer and waited for them to repair

While that was happening I installed the Seat, Front end, all bushings, skis, heat exchanger, etc etc.

I found a locat powder coater to paint my race gas nitrous tank, steering gate, nitrous bottle bracket, batter cage, and some other small parts. For $90 it was a steal and I figured if I was under the hood I wanted it to look good when someone opened it!

Engine came back install took over 12 hours making sure everything was PERFECT. I want no loose ends. Time to fire it up and VROOM fires right up with the Lazy bastard trick and I’m elated!!! It’s almost done over 1 month ahead of time. I start checking the normal checklist on a new start up and I find I have no oil circulation. I post on here as I did many times and many people came rushing to my aid helping to fix my problem, people calling me from work, from the family time, etc I was amazed. I ended up buying a small pump and manually circulated oil throughout the engine fire it up and no circulation…engine as to come back out!!!! ARRGGGGGG I must say had it not been for this site I would have NEVER attempted to check for the oil circulation, I would have went out on the 1st trip and blown it up in less then 5 miles probably with no coolant and no oil pressure...THANK YOU!!!!

Half day of vacation and 2.5 hours later (you get real good when you do it the 2nd time!) the engine is on my bench and oil pan removed revealed the problem. The dealer had pulled the WP shaft out without removing the oil pan the gear fell off and into the pan when they reinstalled the shaft it all lined back up and went together with the gear and chain in the oil pan. I took it back to the dealer and they were fabulous! They owned up to it right off the bat and wanted to do a full tear down. Found I burnt the head up, 2 bearings, and everything else looked good. They plasti-gauged the engine and ordered me all new bearings, a new used head with 880 miles on it, and rebuilt the entire engine on their dime. Can’t say enough about how well they took it and treated me. Their only question is if I could bring the sled back and fire it up in their shop for the first time, I was happy to oblige. I wanted to show off the work I had done to it anyway as they love custom stuff.

Attachments

• Day1 progress.JPG
    Day1 progress.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Day 2 carnage.JPG
    Day 2 carnage.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Mess to start.JPG
    Mess to start.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Driveshaft in_1.JPG
    Driveshaft in_1.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 15
  • end of 12 hr day.JPG
    end of 12 hr day.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 24

That brings us to today, I finally got it all together, the dream sled resurrected for a 2nd time. However this time it was on my own terms and at my own hands. For those reading thinking it must be nice to be able to do this kind of work on your own take note I AM NOT A MECHANIC I love wrenching but I am not good at it or profess to be a expert but if you take your time, and have the service manual anybody can R&R a engine on these 4 strokes, and if you have any problems on the way you have the best tech support forum on earth right here with TY. Below are some pictures, I wanted a clean classy almost stock look on the outside and BLING when you open the hood. Being a engineer-nerd I respect function more then form, but LOVE bling engines where it counts for me. The LE paint is stunning in person and I could stare at the nose of this sled all day long. The subtle black front end and shocks are only visible to the most discerning eyes and I like that. The all black ZX2 continues with my stealth theme. The Apex seat while adding a trunk and ergonomics of the new sleds its aesthetics and design actually makes my sled look like a 07 and not a 03. I polished the tunnel as much as I could and left the windshield stock intentionally 

I want to take time to thank all of TY for the help this site has given me but there are a few that are worth special mention:

Maxdlx – Drove all they way over here and stopped by on a Saturday morning to help with the oil priming. He lives 3 hours from me but was here on other business about a hour from me. Felt nice to have someone come over that knew something about these compared to me!

Familyman – Called me probably 6-8 times, I interrupted his supper and never had issue with it, gave me good advice when I needed it and offered to pull the engine the 2nd time, fix it and assemble for FREE.

Lakrcr – Helped me out on the forums, started with taking a look at engines in the shop helping to diagnose oil priming issue, then started calling me, walking me through things, then once the engine was out offered to drive down from Duluth on a weekend race and rebuild it entirely for FREE!! Unbelievable! Felt sorry for me and gave me a discount on the BPE gauge pod. Truly one of the smartest engine guys I talked to and has sent me numerous tools and spreadsheets he created to help me save time on the work I had to do mine and what to make the dealer replace. He is a stand up guy and if I ever find myself in need of engine work its going to him.

Grimm – It seems so immaterial but it was a huge deal for me and a big win during the first reassembly when I lost an exhaust stud, I could NOT find the freaking bolt. I looked for two days till I finally posted on TY just hoping someone would find the bolt for me! I’m mean really what did I expect??? Grimm came through with a suggestion to tip the sled on its side! Viola I found it! How stupid am I, but its suggestion like those that save mind when your really frustrated and been working till 1-2 am after both jobs trying to get this thing done and ready for snow!

Rxrider – When I disassembled my chain case to get the driveshaft out to Ulmer for doo extros I again was in a hurry it was late I wanted to go to bed, I had a big presentation to get done the next day but I needed that shaft sent out because I was going to be out for the holidays. Well needless to say I lost track of what went where. While installing his ZX2 I asked if he would post some pictures to help jog my memory and Viola he did and I got it back together!

THANKS EVERYONE HAPPY SLEDDING

Attachments

• TY Done_2.JPG
    TY Done_2.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 28
  • TY DONE.JPG
    TY DONE.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 40
  • TY Done_3.JPG
    TY Done_3.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 18
  • TY Done_4.JPG
    TY Done_4.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Ty DONE_5.JPG
    Ty DONE_5.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 70
WOW, Wow, wow...great job!!!

Great read, nice work also...I had a 03 L.E. almost 16,000 k's all stock...wished I still had it...but kept the viper, 17,000 k's...let us know how it runs this year...
TWO tips...don't run the 0/40 oil in it, its to thin...go 5/40 or 5/30 & run dual carbides 8" should be good...I ran 4" makes all the difference...give it a try
I still say that 03 L.E. was the best ever color yamie came out with other than blue...season greetings...cheers

Thanks blues! I can't get over the Liquid silver color, it is definitly my favorite.

I run 0/30 in it, the dealer and everyone was very picky that I have a 0 weight oil. I have 6" on the outside and 8" tripple points on the inside of my simmons, so far I like but I only have 12 miles on it. More reviews coming after some serious miles!

Kinger,

Wow, that is one heck of an adventure! I hope it all works well for you this year. That is one sweet looking RX1. G.B.

Sweet sled...I like the red under the hood...And thanks again for the coat, it works great.

kinger said:
Thanks blues! I can't get over the Liquid silver color, it is definitly my favorite.

I run 0/30 in it, the dealer and everyone was very picky that I have a 0 weight oil. I have 6" on the outside and 8" tripple points on the inside of my simmons, so far I like but I only have 12 miles on it. More reviews coming after some serious miles!

Keep a close eye on your crank case vent (hooked up to the carbs like that) you may suck too much oil in...0/weight oil has that tendency to just disappear & bingo your oil light comes on...I ran K&N filters but decided not to attach the pvc to them...ran a seperate K&N...keep a close eye on things...03 did not require the thinner oil...anyways just keep a close eye on it...this was my set up...cheers

Will do, I also installed the factory EVAC catch can and will monitor that for how full it gets. I just replaced the filters because the other ones were all oily without the EVAC catch can. Thanks!

Well I got 17 miles on it today and she runs like a top, I had the carbs sync'd and wow did that make a difference, starts easier, idles better, and throttle response is outrageous! These carbs make me wonder why I would want fuel injection, when they are working they are outstanding!

The Zx2 does not soak up the little bumps as good as my edge but the edge wont take near the abuse either. Overall I'm still mixed on the ZX2 but its still new so I will get the break in on it and then start adjusting it. I think it will be great once done, the edge truly is a great suspension, I still have mine so you never know it may go back in if I can't get the ZX2 to do what I want, but not after a year or two of testing to make sure I give the ZX its fair shake. :)

Thanks again everyone, Happy Sledding!

Kinger, It is good to hear that you have gotten that thing sorted out after all you have been through. Great job. G.B.

as nice as it looks, and I am sure fast as all heck, the durability would have me wondering. You have gone through a lot of parts in a short time.

Only time will tell, I built it for limited maint, just change oil, and grease the front end. No greasing on the ZX2.

They are tough little bastids when loved just right :) She'll be good to go.

You are one patient man but, your persistence seems to have paid off. I think you made the right decision and you sure have a nice sled that is custom to what you need.
Good Job!

Patience is a virtue! LOL When you get put in this spot by your own doings the only one to get you out is yourself and I figured getting all PO'ed and selling it for 1/4 of what I had in it because I was mad wasn't going to make me happy a year later.

This is my first sort of major build on anything mechanical where I did all the work (aside from the engine work) so I feel good and the sense of accomplishment is really sinking in. Only after I get through this season of riding with no breakdowns on trips or of any sort, will I start to REALLY feel good. I'm off to a good start but keeping my expectations low right now!

Here are some outside shots just because of the flattering remarks from everyone, thanks again I REALLY appreciate it! :rocks:

Attachments

• Outside.JPG
    Outside.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 10
  • Outside_2.JPG
    Outside_2.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Outside_rear.JPG
    Outside_rear.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 18
UPDATE:

Put 340 miles on the sled in one weekend and nary a issue! She ran flawless. I was playing with the GYTR's front shocks trying to get the skis level in a turn and I was worried someone else made a comment that they thought the range of adjustability was too small. When I started the trip the ski was lifting on turns so I cranked up the shocks all the way to full stiff and bam, flat as a pancake in the corners! Once we hit the weekend she got rough and I back them down 12 clicks and it was a nice happy medium. I think I will up the preload 2-3 turns and back down another 2 clicks and try that. ZX2 worked flawlessly no loosed bolts and is really a nice skid. IT doesn't work on the small stutters like my edge does YET but I haven't started adjusting it all. Ironically enough I did feel the skid ride nicer the more miles I got on it, I would have never thought there was a 'breakin' to the skid but I noticed a difference after 340 miles. Also I started riding as close to the tank as I could and she railed around the corners!! I found myself talking to myself saying how much I am loving this sled. Overall I'm about 85-90% satisfied with the sled and as I continue to adjust I'm confident I will have the sled I always wanted.

New plans:
-Go to a 40hp shot of nitrous to extend the bottle and never worry about lifting the head
-Try the less transfer pin on the ZX2 to see if I can keep the skis down from 12" at take off to around 1-3"
-Increase front preload to 2-3 turns, reduce compression by 2-3 clicks
-Move bars so I don't get a pinched wrist on hard RH turns
-Increase fuel at 4500 to eliminate a small lean condition at very slow speeds

Just more adjustment fun! Thanks everyone!

UPDATE:

Put on another 700 miles and sled ran flawless, the adjustment to the skid she corners real nice, between that and the ZX2 I found myself for the first time WANTING to hit roughed out mogel trails, I think the sled makes a better driver out of you I felt like blair morgan! LOL Even the other guys were like dang you really ride that thing!

Overall I'm happy I feel the sled has yamaha reliability again and I can quit worrying and just enjoy sledding. Thanks again everyone!

UPDATE:

Did some ditch banging for the first time around here and the sled is just a frickn hoot to drive, shes loves jumping, transfers real well in the deep stuff and soaks up the rough hard drifts under neath the fluffy soft top ones. I find myself wanting to hit bumps and jumps where I used to always want to avoid on any other sled I have had. The main theme is that you seem to feel every thing but everything is soft, landings are soft, stutter bumps are soft, deep drift crevices are soft. I really enjoy riding this thing, its what I always wanted. Comfortable, fast, and now finally RELIABLE. Woo hoo!!!

Back