(season 20007/08) tymilage maim (betsy)

start milage: 4053 km

ride date: dec 30 /07

trip: foolin around on the lake

end milage: 4072 km

traveled: 19 km

odo pic start:

DSC01790.jpg

was waiting for a buddy to call or come over so we could wrench on his sled. around 1:30pm said screw it and started gearing up to go for a ride. found almost all my gear but mitts. substituted some work gloves and declared gtg. as i am unloading my warrior from the truck he comes in the driveway. ask him if he wants to go rideing. he says shure and goes to get his gear. finish unloading war and get betsy out for him. comes back and i tell him the 1st stop is for gas as betsy is almost out. off we go to gas station for betsy 1st fill-up of the season. fill the can as well. ask him where he wants to go. "the jumping spot" is his reply. so off we go again back onto the lake. get to the jumping spot and find we are 1st ones to tear it up this year. enticers get good air with 5 gallons in the back rack. hoped it a few times with the war as well. as it was crap for traction and i did not want to go by creeks/springs, we headed back to work on his sled. he got it over here but then flooded the little bugger. we pushed it into the garage and called it quits for the day.

little bugger is a 500cc custom twin doo in a pos chassis. he engineered it to run 12000rpm. needless to say you need to pay attention when it engages.

gettin gas

DSC01791.jpg

betsy jump
DSC01792.jpg

jumping spot

DSC01793.jpg

war jump
DSC01796.jpg

Last edited:

continued

lake pics

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

little bugger. has 144 studs in it.

DSC01797.jpg

betsy back in the barn

DSC01799.jpg

ending odo

DSC01798.jpg

had fun but was short. need more snow/ice!!!

jan108

jan 1 /08

start milage 4072km

end milage 4099km

total milage 27km

trip: jumping spot/lake/chemmy loop

starts today about 1:30 pm when i got home from rideing the war with bros buddy (see 4 stroke side for total day). youngest brother was home with sled from out of town. got geared up to go running with him and other brother showes up with buddy alex. asked alex if he wanted to come sledding. of course the answer was "yes". backed betsy out of the garage while he geared up. brother showed me the cb steering rods he bent last season off trail while we where waiting. when he came out we where all ready to go.

headed out to our jumping spot on whitewater lake in azilda. decided the drifts where not packed enough to play there. decided to head up the lake to the old trail to chelmsford. sent alex ahead 1st knowing he was on slowest sled. then blew past him on warrior with brother chaseing on his sxr. all alex said he saw was "a black blur". got on old trail. was good in most spots except for the springs/creeks. i flipped the war on its right side in the one pictured below. youngest brother drove sxr and betsy through. dried out my belt as i had gotten it wet.

carried on to the trail behind tim hortons in chelmsford. went across the new trail on the way back. met 2 elans on the trail. sry didnt have camera out. all 3 off the creek crossings where open but alex had no problems on betsy. one of them is pictured below.

on our way back for supper, a car tried to turn around on one of the trail exits from the road. it is over a 2' ditch so needless to say he got stuck. he had a buddy there with a 4x4 but did not have a rope. took the tow strap out of betsy and used it to pull car out of ditch. learned driver only had his g-2 for a week :rofl: .

after this we headed home for supper for whitch the war won the race. was a good day other than the open creeks.

bent steering rods

DSC01808.jpg

betsy with youngest brother crossing where i flipped war

DSC01809.jpg

creek crossing on new trail

DSC01810.jpg

cory (brother) and alex after creek crossing. cory on ls in pic.

DSC01811.jpg

DSC01812.jpg

continued

stopped for car. yamy hood up only for tow strap.

DSC01813.jpg

DSC01814.jpg

DSC01815.jpg

DSC01819.jpg

betsy going back in the barn

DSC01818.jpg

ending odo
DSC01819.jpg

all in all a pretty good day other than my cold.

feb 3 /08

start milage 4099 km

end odo 4179 km

total milage today 80 km

trip- d-trail fom azilda to chemmy, d-trail from chemmy to vermilion/fairbanks

today was its 1st trip since the weekend we had -20c where she just would not warm up at all and froze the carb up. buddy daryl was over trying to get the yellow sled pictured above running. it had run out of gas earlier and he needed to put rave valve parts on it. put it together and fired it up. was running great and now had bottom end. he ran it up the street once and was ready for a lake test. got geared up and when he went to take off broke 3-4 of the motor mounts off. there went that plan. towed it out of the way and fired up betsy to go trail running instead.

went out on white water and checked the jumping spot, no good as it was all soft. decided to head out to fairbanks lake by the trails instead. trails where in not bad shape considering the freeze/thaw crap we are haveing for weather atm. got stopped between chelmsford and vermilion by opp checking for paperwork and warning people the speed limit is 50 kph max. as betsy only does 80 kph at wot i think we where safe.

stopped on vermilion for a break and so buddy could have a smoke. found some neat ice where we stopped so there are pics below. remeberd at this time that i forgot to change the batts in the camera but still got some pics.

after the break was done buddy wanted to do some bush trail. i suggested the short-cut trail to fairbanks and back to the d-trail to head back. he liked the idea so away we went. short cut trail is a one track trail between the trees so he loved it. out to fairbanks and turn onto the d-trail to start heading back.

about 2km in on the way back we hit where a culvert has washed out and because of the weather, has washed the trail out since last weekend. only saw it in time as there is a guy who has just gotten his vmax4 out and is waiting for buddy to cross. once they are gone daryl takes betsy down the one side and i jump the warrior across. easy as pie even with the transfer still not quite right. take another break (damn smokers).

start heading back. once we hit vermilion i swap off of the war onto betsy. trails are a little lumpy but for a 11year old sled she still rides awsome. push the pace all the way back to azilda. decided to take another way home as there is a old trail that ends in dayrl's back yard. got turened around a little but we made it back home.

now the pics

vermilion
feb308003.jpg

pics of sled by ice
feb308004.jpg

dayrl under ice
feb308005.jpg

weird icicle
feb308006.jpg

daryl going around washout
feb308007.jpg

damn it has been along time since i up dated this. season is over now but i will try to bring it up to the end asap

start odo 4179km

end odo 4228km

total milage 49km

this is a compliement of a few weekend rides from feb 2/08 to feb 18/08.

sister and her husband came down from ottawa for the weekend as they had a long weekend off from work. i took them out for a short ride to chelmsford on the d trail from azilda. their plan was to go to camp from sunday untill monday. as the good brother i am i let them take betsy in the back of the pickup so they would not have to walk across the ice with the 3 dogs.

i went and checked up on them sunday afternoon on my warrior. it was a dam cold weekend :brr as i got frost bite from forgetting my bellaclava on my chin. they had gotten the fire going in camp whitch was why i went. we set fire to a brush pile i wanted to burn. i guess the gas was not as stale as i thought it was as when my sister went to light it it blew her and her husband off of their feet. oops :lol: . everyone was ok other than some singed hair. they came back monday by noon.

the weekent of feb 16/17/18, kirkswim (brother) took his girlfreind out to camp. as there was no wood left at camp for the stove we stole some from my parents house. he needed the sleigh to haul the wood and as his viper has no hitch betsy was voulunteered again. i checked up on him on the monday and he was already at the truck loading up. camera froze up so the pics where lost. i wnet to cartier on war and he went home. see 4 stroke side for the picks i did get after the camera thawed out.

now for the pics i do have

sisters dog maggie

DSC01922.jpg

sisters dog jackson aka big goof

DSC01921.jpg

maggie in bedroom door at camp

DSC01915.jpg

brush pile

DSC01907.jpg

more picsbetsy in front of camp
DSC01909.jpg

camp
DSC01910.jpg

brother-inlaw starting betsy to come home

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01920.jpg

feb 9 going for ride

DSC01902.jpg

end odo

march208001.jpg

Last edited:
ride date mar 2/08

start odo 4228km

end odo 4244km

total milage 16km

trip: cutting a little wood

some times it is not the milage you do but the work you can do with your toys.

needed a little more wood for the fireplace as i was running low. dayrl was willing to help me and even knew a place we could cut. one of his buddys has a farm that he does not mind us clearing dead trees out from. so that is what we did.

had to break the trail from the house to where we could cut. no sled tracks at all so it got a little hairy on some of the hills but we made it back to the pond. dayrl made a lap with betsy to where i wanted to fall the 2 dead trees i selected. he stood well out of range as i felled my victims.

before i started blocking up the trees, daryl remeberd a trail to whitewater lake that ran from the other end of the pond. since i had the trees on the ground i told him to take my warrior and go find the trail as it would be easyer than the way we went in. while he was gone i blocked up the trees and loaded the sleigh. i left 1 30' chunk to haul out behind the warrior.

he came back saying the trail was good and someone had already broken it. i tied up my 30' peice to the war and loaded up the saw. daryl lead the way out on betsy with the 8' sleigh fully loaded and me following behind.

daryl made it out fine onto the lake, i had a little set to with the tag alders as i could not stay on the side hill in one spot. made it out with only surface scratches on the war. rode back across the lake to the house. the wood we got lasted 1 week but we had fun.

now the pics

at buddys house before we made trail

march208003.jpg

march208004.jpg

at the pond

march208005.jpg

dayrl making a loop

march208006.jpg

loaded up ready to go home

march208007.jpg

march208008.jpg

ride date mar 8/08

start odo 4244km

end odo 4260km

total milage 16km

trip: a little run for more wood

as kirkswim and i had planned to go for a ride on sunday i needed to go get some wood on saturday. i soloed over to where dayrl and i had cut wood the weekend before and started scouting trees. got stuck once and fouled 1 set of plugs but all was good.

cut 1 big damn dead tree and loaded up. filled both the sleigh and the rack on the sled. saw had to ride back on the 2-up seat. slow trip home across the lake but i made it. split some wood then called it a night. came home with 1 weeks wood again.

now pics.

back yard before i left

march708002.jpg

when i was stuck

march708007.jpg

march708008.jpg

tree blocked

march708003.jpg

saw

march708005.jpg

ride date mar 16 /08

start odo 4260km

end odo 4384km

total milage today 124km

trip: goint to camp to shovel roof

kirkswim was concerned with the amount of snow on the roof at camp. it had collapsed once before out parents bought it and in years of good accumulation it was our job to keep it cleared off.

he arrived sunday morning with more energy than i have at that hour of the morning. after all of the viper blow-up posts that had been posted recently we decided he would ride the warrior while i drove betsy with the sleigh for the snowblower. i had bought this large electric snowblower for just this job and had added skis so that it would not take out the roof screws.

we loaded up and headed out. took the d trail to chelmsford where we filled up at the pioneer. left from there and headed up the d trail to vermilion. got stopped by the trail wardens at their favorite hang-out as the snowmobile club (sorry i forget the name of it) in charge of that section of trail was having their end of season cookout. we where invited to join them but declined as we did not know how long it would take to clear the roof.

set off from there at a blistering pace for betsy, 70kph. took all the usual short-cuts and made pretty good time getting to camp. once there we had to thaw the lock on the shed as it was frozen and then i had a small set-to with the generator before i got it running. we then climbed on the roof and started removing snow.

the snowblower did save a lot of work but as there was many layers to the snow thanks to the rain we got in jan and feb, it was a hard go. ended up removing the skis from the snowblower as they where not working. it took me awhile but i did find the trick for the best results as the snow was taller than the blower. i had to cut the snow and fold it down in front of it with a shovel. this worked great and we made much faster progress.

when the job was done we left the blower in the shed and geared up to head home. since i was riding betsy i set the pace. brother still passed me on the lakes as i was only getting 90kph with an empty sleigh on the hard pack. stopped at the end of our shortcut off of vermilion and traded off with kirkswim as i needed to wet down a tree ;) and sent him on ahead with betsy.

now that my teeth where not floating anymore, i quickly caught up with him right by the carcass of a dead cat we saw on the lake. as no one was hanging around we continued on. when we hit the groomed trail again i swaped back onto betsy and proceeded to set a good pace down the d-trail back to azilda and we where even on time for supper.

that little stretch on the war reminded me why i love this little sled, handles great and it is fun to throw through the turns on the trail.

now the pics

loading up in the driveway

march1508004.jpg

some picks as i was driving on the d-trail

march1508005.jpg

march1508006.jpg

more pics

the picknic/stop

march1508007.jpg

kirkswim getting on the roof with the snowblower

march1508008.jpg

kirkswim using the snowblower

march1508009.jpg

a pic from the roof looking down the lake

march1508010.jpg

loading up to head home

march1508011.jpg

march1508012.jpg

the last ride mar 23/08

start odo 4384km

end odo 4398km

total milage 14km

total season milage 345km

today was another wood cutting trip. daryl wanted something from a bus at the farm and i needed more wood for fireplace. we loaded up and set out. we went right to the trail off of the lake to enter the property.

a beaver had felled some trees in the fall and i decided to take one of those for wood. daryl took betsy and went on his errand as i blocked up the tree and skidded the top down with the warrior. by the time he got back i already had the sleigh loaded and part of the trunk skidded down from on the hill. i got him to drag the sleigh out onto the lake as i knew i could not skid 2 30' peices behind the warrior out of the bush.

when he came back and lined up to skid the 2nd peice, he told me he had heard what sounds like a bearing growling from the left side of the sled under load. we opened the hood and checked for abnormal movement in the spedo and jackshaft bearings as they are still origonal. didnt find any so i hooked it up to the tree and we proceeded out onto the ice where the sleigh was. he confirmed the growling again and i told him there was nothing we could do untill i had parts. we re-hitched the sleigh to betsy and the 2nd 30'er to the war.

war had no probems pulling on the ice other than it got a little hot so we had to stop and chop some ice to put on the running boards to cool it down. made it home in one peice and called it a season as the jackshaft bearing i ordered that monday just came in this monday. ill take care of it this fall when i get the sleds ready.

all in all it was a good season. did not get as many miles on betsy as the war but any milage is good milage.

now the pics

pic of the lake before we left
mar3008002.jpg

pic of daryl pulling the sleigh out.

mar3008004.jpg

pick of betsy and the war all loaded up

mar3008005.jpg

mar3008006.jpg

me standing with sleds

mar3008007.jpg

mar3008008.jpg

Back