Vintage Drag Stud Pattern

racerdan

I'm working on selecting a pick set-up for my '80 srx and a '77 exciter. The exciter is all stock. The srx is freshly rebuilt, basicly stock with oil pump and spacer removed. I'm thinking about starting out with a standard 7mm pick. I like to use angled backers but was wondering if the extra weight is necessary. I haven't studded a track soley for drag racing. I'd like to use standard aluminum squares. Do digger plates work? I'm thinking no more than 96 picks in exciter and 144 for SRX is this a good number? Niether are hard core so I'm not considering kicker plates.

I'm curious on recommendations for the exciter (it'd be the same for my SS...).

Is the removal of the oil pump a common mod? Thinking about seeting up my SS for oval.

Check your rulebook

Disengaging oil pump or removing it completely is common since it does take horsepower to turn. Even if it's just a small amount. Some rules state that you can remove the oil pump drive but the oil pump still needs to be installed.

One of the best ways to get information on how to build your race sled is to go to one of the races and ask the racers themselves. Most are willing to share general information. Walk around the pits and take a look at what is out there. Then grab a rulebook.

You can use your oil reseviour for your lube system, depending on how large it is. You'll need another fuel pump.

Woody's Response

I emailed Woody's to get thier opinion. They reccomend 120 - 144 30deg, Steel Drag Eliminator Picks on an Angled backer with 7/8", 7mm, dished T-nut. That would be for a 80hp srx.

Back