Northern Ontario Conditions?

vmaxx4

A group of us want to take the snow train to Hurst on Jan 23 then run through to Timmins - Chapleau - Wawa back to Sault Ste Marie. Any one know of conditions in these areas?

....Mark.

:letitsnow

http://forum1.ontarioconditions.com

Here is a link to Ontarioconditions which is a great site for info on the area you are thinking. Ask your question there and you will be able to get all the info you need. Things are getting back in shape in the area you reffer to after the recent big warmup. They are getting quite a lot of new snow and the only leg of your trip that isn't opened up yet is the Timmins-Chapleau-Soo. Hopefully it won't be long now as we are planning a similar trip the first week of Feb, but we are riding a loop from Soo-chapleau-Cochrane-Hearst-Wawa-Soo. If you need any help planning accomodations or anything I would be happy to share my $.02 Dave

Last edited:
as i type it is snowing in the soo.forecasting 15 to 30 cm of the white stuff.trail conditions right now leave a lot to be desired,but the new snow should go a long way in helping out .i havnt even spun the track this year yet .out side of the soo always has more snow than around the city proper.

I was northeast of SSM this past weekend ice fishing by Carpenter Lake. The snow is mid-thigh deep on me in the woods and I'm 6' tall....

YooperMike said:
I was northeast of SSM this past weekend ice fishing by Carpenter Lake. The snow is mid-thigh deep on me in the woods and I'm 6' tall....
howd the fishing go,hope you had luck.went out for my first ride today and the trails were just groomed so they were nice ,this weekend i work thank god as every yahoo in ontario will be out tearing them up .remember to check local ice conditions ,it may save your life.

My co-worker has a camp on Carpenter Lake. We ended up catching 14 fish total in 2 1/2 days, greys and specs (lake and brook trout for us americans). Kinda slow, but we had fun anyways. The ice condition on the lakes were very good, 7-9 inches I would say. The problem was the 6" of slush and 16" of snow on top of that. I had to break trail everywhere we went, had the only machine that could get up on top of everything and pack down a trail.

glad you had a good time ,carpenter is just a short blast from the soo but ive never been there.this tuesday its suppose to rain then wed snow squalls,go figuure.im going for a nice ride tomorrow with some buddies,now that the weekend insane aslynum is over.

Back