SRX no match for Sno-Twister

racerdan

I was at Waconia this weekend. Watched some of the Drags. In the stock 440 L/C. SNO-TWISTER ran away with the show. SRX's weren't even close.

racerdan said:
I was at Waconia this weekend. Watched some of the Drags. In the stock 440 L/C. SNO-TWISTER ran away with the show. SRX's weren't even close.
Indeed the guy with the Twister had his act together and ran well. The SRX's however, ran very poorly. So poorly that a Twister was able to beat them.

HEY RACERDAN. I THINK BEFORE YA POST RACE RESULTS, MAYBE YOU NEED TO DO ALITTLE RESERCH ON THE HISTORY OF THESE TWO SLEDS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

From the looks of it the Merc took out a '80 (not mine), '79, '78, and two '76's or '77's. You're right I should have researched it a little more, but hands down he took out 4 or 5 SRX's, all '80 or older. Even the best running SRX's didn't seem like they were getting off the line very good. I heard that the Sno-Twister's were fast but didn't think they were so fast they could take the day unchallanged. Now that I look at my photo's I see that the Merc Dominated the holeshot.

Here are some pictures from those races. The '80 isn't shown, these are the top 4 sleds.

CAN,T KNOCK THE MERC TWISTERS, AWSOME SLED BUT THEY MADE THEIR LEGEND ON THE OVALS NOT DRAGS. I DON,T KNOW THESE SLEDS OR WHO OWNS THEM. CAN A MERC COME IN AND SMASH EVERYBODY THERE, SHURE !!!! MAYBE THE MERC TUNER WAS WAY BETTER THAN THESE SRX,s. REMEMBER THIS IS NOT THE FACTORY WARS OF 30 YEARS AGO. THERE WAS A POST ON HERE LAST YEAR I THINK A GUY SHOWED UP AT A SPEED RUN WITH A 77 SRX AND BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF ALL THE NEW STUFF SO SHURE ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
As Tony said those Twisters are nothing to laugh at and are VERY!! fast old sleds especially in the right hands. There are a couple of local boys around here that can really make them run but when the right SRX shows up at the drags that's owned by a tuner of equal skills they don't usually stand much of a chance. I've seen Twisters hand it to SRX's many times but it wasn't the sled that lost it was the guy setting it up.

A friend of mine took his stock 440 liquid Twister to a drag called the "200ft Hole Shot Shootout" about an hour south of here in Ill a couple of years ago. He had the only old sled there and was up against F-5's, 500 Revs and the like in 500 stock and improved. He said those kids had never heard of a Mercury snowmobile and were giving him the business until after the first heat. He said he had his 230lb @$$ up on the bars at the start while all those kids were standing of the rear bumper of their new iron and that was the last he saw of them until the race was over. He came home with 2 firsts and said it was the most fun he ever had on a snowmobile and now those boys know what a Merc can do. I've seen that same sled get completely destroyed by another buddies 77 SRX many times so FAST yes but faster than an SRX not usually.

opsled

I know those guys with the srx's, that were at waconia they dont know crap about setting up a srx.

I think to be " fair " depending on set up and rider skill any sled can be fast at drag racing. Does that mean all twister are fast NO all srx's are fast NO same goes for skidoo / polaris / arctic cat and any other sleds. Depending on your class its all over in 6 sec so you better have your stuff together.

I owned both 76 440 snow twister and a 76 440 srx. On any day it was a toss-up as to witch sled was fastest.

Back