Who's going to bike week in Daytona??

blueblooded

Me a three other guys are trailering our bikes to South Caroilina and then riding the bikes from there to Daytona.Ive never been to bike week or even Florida but i hear its a great time.Any of you other sled heads taking a break from winter and heading down?

I thought about it many times. But we usually end up going out west skiing/ boarding that weekend.

The Gf even asked about going down there this year for my BDay. which happens to be March 8th.

As huge of fans as we are of AMA superbike racing, we should go some year. My biggest issue is so many people go there, and don't even realize it is all about a race series that is going on. The cruiser stuff happened as a byproduct of the superbike races....

blueblooded said:
Love watching the superbikes duke it out.Those guys have absolutly no fear.

Yeah, it is amazing. I have done track days at Road America, and I can't imagine setting lap times like they do, plus they are RACING each other as well as going fast as hell. I still know that racing on the track is safer than riding on the streets.

horkn ya the track is safer, but Road America is a scary fast track. I was running Intermediate class there during NESBA track day. My friend Tom and I were in the front of the I group and were on the last lap of the second 20 minute session. I caught up to lap traffic (going really slow) coming out of the carousel. So I passed them on outside of the 20 feet of straight stretch between the left and right hander of the bend/kink. Here is where I made my mistake and put my bike in first gear. Coming out of the right hander I rolled on to much throttle and spin the rearend up. Classic high side at about 70 miles an hour. Long story short..crashed an $18,000.00 2006 limited edition R1 with 1,000 miles on it, woke up in the ambulance, and had to have my crushed C6 fused. RA on an R1 is just a very fast track 180MPH on the front, 155MPH coming down the hill into turn 5, 145 MPH coming down into Canada corner etc... mistakes are bad on that track.
As far as Daytona goes. I have always wanted to go but, I just don't like the huge crowds and the theives! Make sure to rent an extra room at the motel for bikes to be inside. We have a local sport bike club in Appleton and we have a Daytona 200 party every year. If anyone is interested just PM me and i'll send you info once we settle on location etc...

Bike thieves??? Dont tell me that,i wont be able to sleep the whole time im down there!! We planned on chaining them all together at night,just in case.We planned on leaving the enclosed trailer in south carolina but maybe we should take it all the way to florida so we have secure storage.

I went in 93, trailered 2 Harleys till it was warm enough to ride, and i followed with truck and trailer. It is freaking cool to ride a Harley on Daytona Beach! I was only 23, had a blast, met the most interesting people of all ages. We camped not far from the Boothill Saloon ,fun place. Lotsa action everywhere, the swap meet at the race track was quite an event in itself. Have fun!

blueblooded said:
In general,it this a sportbike friendly event?

yeah, it is.

Its def not like Sturgis. If you have been to the rally at Laconia NH, it is a lot like that, but with actual superbike racing going on, but with far more police on hand.

I know several guys that go to daytona almost every year.

Back