SRX Hard Starting

yamahay

I just purchased a minty used 2001 SRX and it seems to be unwilling to fire up on occasion. I seem to recall something somewhere about the headlight drawing too much power for the engine to fire. Is this true, and if so, what is the remedy for this condition? I would like to sort this out well before the season starts.

What are the conditions, when this occurs? Hot, cold, when sitting for a period of time, attempting to restart after engine hot, etc...

Seems to be when it's cold. After shutting it down it re-fires no problem. I've only had it a week but both times I tried to start it cold it took 6 or 7 pulls to light. I just today went down to the gas station and topped it off with fresh high octane fuel and stabilized it. The previous owner may not have stabilized the fuel so I'll see if that cures the problem. I haven't really tried to seriously diagnose anything at this point I am just looking for an obvious trait that SRXs may share. My 98 700SX was incredible for 1-2 pull starting hot or cold so I may just be spoiled.

Check the throttle, choke and oil cable adjustments, ...should be able to find it on yamaha.com (online manual).

always start it cold with FULL CHOKE. so the choke flipped to the second position. this help the srxs. it should start on the 3rd pull at the worst. let it run on full for just a second, the flip it to half and if it starts to die flip it to full periodicly till it runs on its own. do not touch the throttle thats where most fouling and problems starting occur. ski

try switching your headlight to high beam.it takes less juice to light the high beam.dont ask,really hard to explain.if this seams to help,bring it to your dealer and have them order part #90891-50137-00 and have them install it.this should take care of your problem.

it is an addition to the wire harness.it delays the the headlight from lighting up so all the juice is sent to the cdi and coils.only a select few sleds needed this done.

Thanks all. Between fresh fuel and using full enrichment it starts in 2-3 pulls. Crisis averted.

Back