New 01 SRX owner

wanasrx

I'm one of the elite SRX owners now. :WayCool: I have a few questions. Can someone give me a starting point to setup the suspension? I'm at 150#,no gear. Looks like I'll have to clean the power valves also. Never been cleaned since new, 1700 miles. I've heard of a problem with cables pulling out so I'm a bit hesitant.
I may go with a Maxx long travel in the future, can you only do the rear or would you have to do both?
Sorry for all the ??? Just a bit excited right now. :WayCool:
It looks like I'll have to change my screen name now. :rockon:

Attachments

• Mvc-001s.jpg
    Mvc-001s.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

new srx owner

congrats on your purchase
you at the weight that the selds come pre set for already you will just have to fine tune it to your riding style. Put in a set of bender transfer rods they will help a lot. there is also a pro action suspention set up video and booklet that you can get from your dealer witch will explain your suspention and how to set it up
:rockon: :rockon:

if you want to clean the power valves, go to TY home and then enter the tech section under engine, there is info there for you. If you are 150#, I would take the FRA to the softest setting and take 5 to 6 turn out of the front center spring but that also depends on how agressive you ride ;)!

Thanks a bunch.
How would I know if the suspension is still at the stock settings?
I would say I'm a bit of an agressive rider. Not much of a jumper though.
Mr. Sled, That power valve section looks pretty good.

the FRA is always set in the middle from stock and you would have to measure the spring with the sled up and the limiters let out and then I could tell you if its at stock setting. BUt I dout anyone has done anything to it other then the FRA ;)!

With the sled off the floor what is the spring length of the center shock and the front shock (just behind the limiter straps) for a 150# person?
It would be nice if Yamaha would do there settings as per weight, then we could tune from there.

installed length is 190 mm on the center shock stock and 306 mm on the rear stock so 5 to 6 turns would be about 1/4" , what I found works the best on the center shock is raise the sled and let the suspension hange, with you limiter straps set, take off all the spring preload and then tighten about 5 or 6 turns once the spring is fully extended.

Mr. Sled
Those measurements are exactly what I have (sled off the foor) and the FRA set in the middle. If the front ski shocks matter, they are at around 190 also. I'll try those settings(only on the center shock,Right?)) of yours once I get some spanner wrenches.
Thanks again! :rocks: :rockon:

Last edited:
no problem, what you can do is just break the nut free with a hammer and flat screw driver and turnthe entire spring by hand and it will turn the nut too....very slick

Wanasrx You want to also look at the W-arm in front of the rear suspension to. You have to look for crack in the corners. Bender Racing make aftermarket that are stronger and won't break. And also make sure you check all the bolt on your rear suspension before winter. I know one bolt had back and the W-arm twist and bent the front shock and ruin the slide rails. I hope this help you? :4STroke: ;)!

2001 SRX Also

I See that You are a proud owner of a 2001 SRX. Me too. I also live in Up-State NY. May be we can talk our sleds and set-ups. I had a 2000 SRX 700 and sold it (biggest mistake) for a 2004 RX-Warrior. For this year its back to the SRX (the Best) All I'm going to do is set my sled up just the same as my 2000. If you would like to get in touch please contact me at bradsrx700@hotmail.com I look foward to hearing from You. Brad

tomw,
I did check the w-arm, looks to be ok. I'll have to check those nuts and bolts though.Thanks. Was told this was the wife sled for a couple of years so maybe it wasn't rode to hard(hey, ya never know). The one thing I did notice was melted hyfax on the track clips. She probably didn't realize that ya have to touch some snow once in a while.LOL. Previous owner just put new ones on.
Brad,
Sounds good, as I'm new to the srx. The only problem is I emptied the o'l wallet out for the machine. So I'm going to concentrate on getting her set up for my weight, cleaning the power valves & cutches. There seems to be some oil down under the valve/exhaust area. This normal? I may have a hard time adjusting from 11" rear on the O'l vmaxxt to the 8". Next year I'll work on long travel front and rear.
I'll be in touch
Rich

Last edited:
new srx owner

the oil you see is prob leaking from the exaust most likely need to be taken apart and cleaned up and siliconed up with high temp silicone.for the rear skid
two of the guys i ride with have mxz and zr 800's and they don't ride any better then my srx and they even agree with that.remember the higher the sled is off the snow the more tippy it becomes thats why the srx is what it is
:rockon: :rockon:

Back