Snowmobile Helmet Expire Date ? ?????

MountainMax

I heard today that helmets expire after a few years and are suppose to be replaced, is this true? I live here in Canada but I must say I have never heard of this before for Canada or the US. I know if it's scratched or took a hard smack it's suppose to be replaced but not just by age. Me and my buddies are arguing over this, and i can't find any info on the net about it, i think it's bull..... Can you guys share your opinions and info if available???

I'm pretty sure that Snell rated helmets have dates. Many racing organizations will require a minumum snell rating/date. I'm not sure of the deal on DOT rated helmets. I'm also pretty sure most helmet manufacturers will suggest a 'life' expextancy of thier product. That rating would probably be dependant on things like environment and body oils contaminating the foam.

Perhaps someone else will have the definitive answer. You may want to check out Snell's site (see second colomn, third row):

http://www.smf.org/faqs.html

I wear an HJC CL-14 Kast, with a Snell M2000 rating. It has two seasons on it and cost a bit more than the 'regular' stuff but I like to think the old saying, '$5 helmet for a $5 head', wasn't directed at me. I'll probably wear it longer than the 5 years they reccomend, but I don't use it in the summer at all and it's stored in a nice dry basement out of the sun.

Last edited:
Snell ratings come out every 5 years. The latest is in 05' and the next one 10'. Most racing organizations only allow the 3 newest ones. Currently 95' 00' and 05' are allowed for use in most.

What the he11 could "expire" on a helmit?... it's not like it's made outa
milk or somthing,my 2000 helmits are fine,not replacing them anytime soon..

daman said:

The plastic (or whatever the material is) may harden? I don't really know, just a theory.

daman said:

I agree.

More than likely your old helmet will smell so bad you want a new one. :ban:

Now if you take a tumble, or drop your helmet for 4 feet of so and it lands on something hard, even though it may not appear to be damaged, you should get a new one asap, and retire the old one. That is a helmet rule of thumb, regardless of what kind of helmet it is.

The foam liner that protects your head does break down, hence the 5 yr reccommended replacemant period. It does help to keep it out of the sun in a cool dry place, but the air we breathe is a factor in the break down process, unless something has changed in the last 4 yrs or so in liner technology

Back