Mountain Gear

ViperXC

Hey everyone, Heading to the mountains for the first time. I am wondering what others take with them on their mountain rides. Like stuff that may be put in a backpack and such. Thank you, XC

Avalanche beacon is a no-brainer, along with a set of probes. A decent take-down shovel always comes in handy. Take some rope along, you can tie it to a ski to save being run over when helping someone who is stuck. A GPS if you have one, if you don,t, find a good topo map of the area you will be in. Spare gloves. Of course take a camera so you can post some pics when you get back. Good luck and have fun.

A few must have's:

- avalanche beacon
- avalanche probe
- sturdy metal shovel
- some avalanche training / education

A few other things:

- tarp
- rope
- saw
- first aid kit
- knife
- waterproof matches
- whistle
- compass
- map
- space blanket
- food
- water
- candles
- spare gloves
- tape
- orange flagging ribbon

This is what comes to mind now. I carry the avalanche stuff in my pack and the rest of it on my sled. Hopfully this helps. Prepare to have some fun though. It is best to be prepared to spend the night out if you have to. IMO

shovel, snobunje, trail map, GPS, tow rop, camera, and pretty much everthing 151Viper said. Personally we dont carry beacons at this time. Just make sure you know the snow conditions and the avalanche danger. Ride smart and know where the slide can happen at. When you get to where you're going...lol...just stop in at the rental shop and they can usually tell you where the highest danger is and where some of the best snow is at.

By the way we aren't going out this weekend. Too much stuff going on around here and we also got enough to finally ride. We will probably head up to Bottineau since I heard they got another 4inches before this last storm came through yesterday. What did you end up going with as far as jetting?

you are absolutly crazy to go with out a beacon.
Some things are a must for mountain riding.
Like fuel, oil and a BEACON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and if your riding partner is to cheap to buy probes and a shovel
give him yours. He is the one digging you out. Pretty selfish to let others
carry the gear that will save your life.
Sorry for the rant but somtimes it is needed.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO TAKE IS YOUR BRAIN!!!
AND OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO USE IT!
and what 151Viper said, this year has been worse than others so be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to an area some of the group does know but we have talked about getting a guide the first day. Is it worth it to hire a guide one day? There are 5 newbies and 3 that have been to the mountains in our group.

ViperXC said:
We are going to an area some of the group does know but we have talked about getting a guide the first day. Is it worth it to hire a guide one day? There are 5 newbies and 3 that have been to the mountains in our group.

We did that the first year we went out west and I think it was a good thing. You can pick up quite a bit from a local especially the first time to a new area. If everyone pitches in a few bucks it is pretty cheap anyway.

Here is what My friends and I carry, keep in mind all we ride is the mtns.

Matches (Wood Stick) in a water proof container with striker.
2 Bic Lighters in separate sealed bags.
Fire Sticks.
Magnesium bar with flint.
6 candles.
Siphon hose.
Magnifying glass.
Compass.
Loud whistle.
Signal mirror.
Sharp Swiss army knife.
2 small led mag lights.
Coleman knife, fork and spoon (polycarbonate).
Folding saw.
Shovel.
Parachute cord 50’
Dry socks and gloves.
MSR universal fuel stove and fuel bottle.
MSR stow away pot 775 ml with coffee bags, tea bags, hot chocolate , salt and pepper stored inside.
Enough food (requiring water only to prepare) for 9 meals (3 days).
Survival sleeping bag (Home made out of water proof, heat reflective, rip proof material, sewn up large enough to get in with snowmobile gear on with a draw string top).
First aid kit put together by a surgical nurse friend, very complete.
Probe pole.
Avalanche beacon.
Two Kleenx tissue packs, small personnal size.

Last edited:

Back