snowmobiling around Wausau Wisconsin

2stroken

How are the conditions usually? Hit and miss? A good month or so of riding? If not how far north to get to some good snow? What?? We are looking to relocate and want to be somewhere in the midwest that has snow that can be rode on from the door. I know the UP or Northern Lower Michigan would be ideal, but decent paying jobs are hard to come buy in those areas. Thanks for the input.

snow

Wausau has good snow this year, 2 hours north and you can be in Eagle river or Mercer or 2 1/2 and you can be in Hurley they always have good snow. Im not from Wausau so I dont know the jobs there.

Thanks. I would be ok with some riding from time to time from my door, but would be happy with a short drive(like 2-3 hours) you could drive up after work on friday, and then ride all day saturday and head back.

Any idea on how the conditions in Wausau usually are?

Tom ( MrSled ) and I rode there Friday. They were great. A few bumpy spots, but over all were great. ESPECIALLY, after riding the mercer area Saturday. The trails around Mercer were tore up. Very bumpy.

As for riding this weekend, I don't know. It is suppose to be like 40 degrees this weekend and rain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering the wausau area as a possible relocation candidate. Would like to be able to ride some from my door, probably maybe take a week and still go up north to the UP. Figure I could have family up and we could ride and stay at the house. Does wausau have much powder, or pretty much just slow trails?

I used to live in Wausau, and I own a cottage in Tomahawk, about 45 minutes north of there.

Trails have been especially good this year, but usually the trails are more than good enough to get a lot of miles in a season. It's not generally Powder, as it is too far from lake Michigan or Superior to get real lake effect.

If you can find a good job in Wausau, you pretty much have it made. Housing is ridiculously cheap, taxes are typical WI bad, but the rest of the cost of living is pretty good. Green Bay is about 1 hour away, really good Up north trails are to be had only 30 minutes north in Merrill, Madison is around an hour and a half away as well.

Had the jobs stayed readily available my parents probably never would have moved to metro Milwaukee. Several big employers left in the early 80's and thats when my family did.

I have a buddy that lives there still.

2stroken said:
Who left in the 80's?? Who is left up there now? Premier employers in the area?

I don't think there are any premier employers anymore.

what field are you in?

check on Monster.com and see whats out there....

WeSled2 said:
i love riding the wassau area. when they have snow! nice trails down there!
i love the wausau area too, i have a friend who alway's invites me to ride with him, but he never gives me his phone# and i don't know where his house is!

Back