Replacing front radius rod?

mdkuni

I bought a used 2002 Viper last year. The sled is in excellent shape. There is one thing that I would like some opinions on though. If you look at the attached picture you can see the lower radius rod is bent a little. It is not much, but enough for me to notice it. Do you think I need to bother getting it replaced? I am going to put on radius arm covers so looks will be taken care of. I just don't want it to snap. What do you think? :yam:

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I believe radius rods are adjustable. Therefore, a bent rod changes the angle/camber/caster of the trailing arm (spindal) bracket. Personally, I'd change it. Having anything bent while doing a 100 mph down the lake is taking an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

Cheers,
Jon

Thats not that much of a bend, really shouldnt hurt anything. ;)! I had one like that and I took it off and with a rubber mallet and piece of wood I bend it back...damn near perfect now :)

Thanks for the input. I may look at replacing it if it is not expensive. Does anyone have any idea how much the rod would cost or since I do not have the sled here, how hard it would be to replace. I have not taken a good look at it yet so I am not sure if it does just unscrew or what. :yam:

Do as Mr. Sled did and remove the radius rod from your sled and straighten it with a hammer and a 2 x 4. You should have no problem straightening that out, and i dont believe it will have any strength problems if you put it back on the sled.

I will just bend it back then, thank you all very much. I can't wait for the Snow! I got the Viper in April and have not even got to ride it yet. :yam: :yam:

Thank you LFM. I will have to call my dealer and see if they have any. Heck for $20 why bother with bending the old one back. Thanks alot! :rocks: :yam:

also check for aftermarket aluminum sets. i had to change one on my sxr last year (hit big rock groomer turned up) and the oem one from yamaha was $98.00(canadian). i found a set on internet for $120.00 of alm ones brand new. if i woulda found those alm ones first i wouldnt have bought the oem one. and there was no point straightening it. it was bent up and touching the upper one. i wish i had a pic of it lol. ;)!

$35 later! Local dealer had one in stock. I figure it is well worth it. I bent the old one back and can use it as a spare if it is ever needed. Thanks for all your help.

Back