converting 2002 Viper to 136" - ?

koodat

Which OEM hoses and covers do I need to get to go with my tunnel extension?

2002 MM
2003 Mtn. Viper
?
?

Tom D.

Depends on which tunnel extension you are using. The 136" extension would use 97-99 Mountain Max covers and hoses. Some extensions are made to work with a 136" or 144", if that is what you have then 03 and up Mountain Viper extensions should work.
I made my own covers and hose extensions using aluminum sheet metal, 1" aluminum pipe, and some bulk 1" hose from NAPA. I wanted to stay with the 1" diameter cross-over pipe, instead of using the 3/4" diameter inlets that the Mountain Max rear heat exchangers have. I dont have any over-heating problems, so I figured I may as well stick with the 1" cross-over tube for greater coolant flow.

Also I sent you another PM about the seat on the other site.

Got your PM, Seat is still for sale.

Well,

I was going to buy the Maxx. Perf. 136" Extension and get the hoses and covers from my local Yammie dealer. Now I read that I may want to get a 144" extension to ensure I don't hit my rear heat exchanger. Cripes, everytime I think I have it figured out, I read another post that says do it "this" way.

No access to build my own own extension, covers, etc, but yours is real clean though. I do have access to hose to fit up, so now we are down to covers.

New 136" Ripsaw and maybe studs. (later) I heard today I have to take my front exchanger protectors off and my stock drivers might ratchet, Cripes!!!!!!!!!!

Tom D.

if your going to run studs, yes do a 144 tunnel and 136 skid....this will keep the track and studs awey from hitting as you stated. :)

Well, I have protectors for the rear exchanger already on. I talked with Maxx. Perf. and they have no clearance problem (they say), so I am sticking with 136" extension.

I looked at the yamaha parts list for the 97-99MM and there are no protectors like the ones shown on the Maxx. website. Darn it has been hard for anyone to tell me which covers I need.

Judging by the pics in the maxx perf catalog they appear to be either 2000-03 MM covers (141") # 8ed-77542-00-00 #8ed-77543-00-00 covers. Or 03 and up Mountain Viper covers (144") #8ed-77542-01-00 #8ed-77543-01-00 covers. The Mountain Viper cover show close-off panels for the ends, used when mounting the bumper inside the tunnel. Looks like they are using the longer 141"-144" tunnel extension in their kit, which would work fine on a 136". A good question to ask them would be how many inches it extends the tunnel. The 97-99 Mountain Max (136") tunnels were extended 7.5"-8" and used the older style covers. The 144" extension would add approx 11.5"- 12" to the short track tunnel.

Ah Ha!!

Yes,

I think I am getting closer. I did see on the Yammie parts catalog that the O3 Mtn. Viper has close off panels. Picture on the Maxx. website does not show these in there pictures of the Viper ER. I believe they are the 00-04 MM covers. Going to hook up hoses like you did, looks easy.

Want that Boss seat?? Smokin deal!!!

Tom

Still thinking about the seat. I really like the look of the stock Viper seat, so it's kind of hard to part with it. I'm trying to picture what it would look like on my sled.

Will have some in about a month

Waiting on the rail/tunnel extensions. 136 ripsaw. If/When we get snow then I will be able to at least drive off the groomed trail.

Hose covers

Yamaha gets around $60 a peice for the covers. In the WPS catalogue on page 477 there is a set of SPI covers for $63.95 a set.

pro action Hose covers

yeah, I see that now!! oh well, maybe someone who is looking for a set of the covers will be able to find them.

Back