02 Viper Shocks in 98 SRX

cacsrx1

Just got a set of 02 Viper shocks (the stiff ones)off Ebay. I know I need longer limiter straps, but I thought I also remember reading that I need different spacers for the traction rods??? What can I do to the front end to raise it a little, I got Ohlins up front and want to keep using them. Does somebody make a bracket or some type of extension???

Thanks Mr Sled, do the shims in the transfer rods need to be changed to compensate for the longer shocks in the rear skid??

for best results use the extensions and dont buy the brackets. remove your brackets and swap sides with them and install them upside down. you will need to remove some material to make clearance for the shock (notch)

Hey, Betheviper.. Can you please explain that again. Whatare the differences between the SX and SRX bulk? I mean, why can't I just bolt on the XTC shocks like I could on a SX? What's the main difference? The brackets you mention - what do they do? I didn't get the part about "remove your brackets, switch side and mount them upside down". No understand-o you know...

the sx and xtc bulkhead has a eye that sticks out for the clevis type shocks to bolt onto, the srx bulkhead has a braket and the eye is on the srx style shocks....so what I am trying to say is that the top shock mount is different....clevis verse eye type...that make sense. Maybe Betheviper can explain it better.........

Ok. So... What is the solution? Betheviper - what did you do to be able to bolt on the shocks? Also - is it possible to mount a Viper belly/hood to the SRX like it is on the SX??

EDIT: Well... Now I've looked at pics of the Maxximum wide front end kit and my conclusion is as follows (eventhough it's more of a question!): Why can't I make a clevis style shockmount and run XTC/Viper shocks? It shouldn't be impossible...

And then... I've seen pics, think it was Hammers MountainMax, he was running 41" stance with XTC-shocks... So.. By using SX radius rods and XTC shocks and a upper shock mount I should be good to go, right? Or?

The center piece of the SRX belly and SX belly is the same - what about the Viper? Also - more or less room for SRX pipes in Viper belly?

And ones again....Weight... How much heavier is a SRX than a SX or Viper??

Last edited:
i made brackets, drilled ground and bolted the brackets to my cast front section. at that time there was no viper front section. now you can just rivot in a viper front and bolt everything up. exhaust fits too. srx exhaust comes no where near the cast piece or the shock(unless you put them in a viper). you will need to cut the top of your shock towers in your bellypans to make room for the shocks, then make a new cover to tape on or rivot on to cover the new tower.

as for the other question about the srx bracket and using stock shocks. if you look at your sled you will see a bracket with two bolts that your shock is bolted to. remove these brackets and switch sides with them, install them upside down. this lowers the hole about 3/4 of an inch and keeps the corect angle. Bolt the bracket on to the frame, bolt the shock in place with the suspension un weighted. mark the bracket where the shock interferes with it. remove the bracket and grind a relief for the shock.

also i remember that the bracket needed a washer under one end to make it set flat. so take not of this when bolting it on. cant remember where it needed it but it does.

i would buy the extensions, and flip the brackets and throw the viper front shocks in the trash. short ohlins will ride better than long vipers anyday.

hope this helps

This is exactlywhat i want to do for my 2000 srx!!
this is a great thread. thanks for the help so far

so:

keep the srx shocks for front and get extensions, but viper shock/spring pairs for rear right?

do you need viper front springs or just preload(change ride height) of stock springs?

do you need longer radius rods or again just see some angle on stock radius rods due to changing ride height of stock springs

do you need longer limiter strap for center spring/shock. I read that many shorten stock straps to reduce hyfax wear( I have a 2000) so will stock strap work for me with longer springs.

and does the 2000 have the right transfer rods to not need the different spacers?

still new to the details of my (new to me) sled

thanks for the help.. and oh.. I am looking for viper shocks to revalve for this project.

rambunctious

Last edited:
Well

Now, there is another problem to this, those brackets are way more expensive than a pair of used Ohlins shocks - I live in Sweden and those brackets would be twice the money once they're here. The center piece from a Viper sounds expensive to.... So, I'm guessing longer shocks, like from a Wedge style Polaris would be a better way to go - they are 2" longer and have 1 1/4" longer stroke AND the right kind of mounts. Would they do the trick??

Last edited:

Back