NBSSR Vintage class

valin

About rules:....I was thinking something along the lines of this:

- Must have been available prior to year 1990

>> Drive

- Must retain OEM clutches. Springs, weights, ramps, helix may be changed.
- Gear ratios and chain may be changed.
- No machining of clutch surfaces.

>> Track and Suspension

- Speed tracks are NOT allowed in stock classes. Minimum 0.725" lug height.
- OEM suspension must be used, addition or removal of wheels permitted.
- OEM ski's or aftermarket ski's must be a minimum of 40 inches.
- Suspension must retain 2" of front and rear travel. - The only way of lowering a sled is by using the provided factory adjustments. No additional straps, chains or wires permitted.
- Carbide tipped trail studs only - no ice picks or chisels

>> Frame and Body

- All factory installed componants must be present and un modified. Hood, Frame, Gas tank, Carbs, Air box, Suspension, Seat. No drilling or lightening of sled permitted.

>> Engine

- No component of the engine may altered, changed, reduced or enlarged from the engine manufacter original stock specifications. - Nor may any additional componants be added to the engine.
- Blue printing of engines is not allowed. No removal of material whatsoever will be allowed. This is to include polishing, port matching, deburring, glass or sand blasting surfaces or materinal removal for the purpose of engine balancing or other reasons.
- No more than one cylinder base gasket to a cylinder.
- No aftermarket reeds, reed spacers, pipes,cans, air boxes, carbs.
- No turbo, super charging or Nitrous allowed.
- Pump fuel only - no race fuel allowed

We still have to figure out displacement, but Claude will probably not want to create a pile of classes. I would bet there will be only 1 class for vintage.

Last edited:

thats a good starting point i guess , "devils advocate" , the pre-92 vintage class will cater only to hand full of people where as a pre-97 will include most of the side liners. i paid close attention to this at rocky's both times , and i know that the folks running nbssr are way too busy to analyse any of this so i am sure any realistic data is welcome on their part as it would generate more $$$$$$ in there pocket and elevate the curiosity of participation buy those "sideliners"

it won't really be a pre-92 class, since they had 700cc motors in 1991. This is going to a 650 indy being the largest displaced snowmobile.

what or how do you propose to equal the differences between for example a 700 sxr same motor 97-02 and a 700 srx 01 . Pipping the sxr only puts you in a improved class were you now stand 0% chance as opposed to 0.1% chance single pipe stock vs srx-01.

The vintage class you are proposing is cool as it may drag very few retired sleds out and maybe some guru;s may build one or two but your not fixing the existing problem .

Blueblooded, the classes up here are only based on displacement. They used to do it as you described, but it was changed to just 700 stock or improved.

Last edited:
I understand that but i really dont see how your gonna totally level the playing field.Choose your weapon wisely i guess.

They are trying to match hp for classes around here.They run the appex in the 700 class.I dont see the 700 power valve vs the 700 non powervalve working because then the viper would get tossed in with the srx and f7's.

Last edited:
blueblooded the viper is in there now anyway, at least you would seperate the non powervalved ones , or like you said single pipe multi pipe but then yet do you really want to run your stock viper vs a tony stewart f7 , keep in mind the point of discussion is how to level the field in hopes to attract the side liners. Aint nobody gonna drive from sudbury to north bay 1 1/2 hrs to race his sx against a srx , may as well stay home and save the $30 . And most of us have chosen our weapons and must pay a house mortgage but want to participate also .

I am all for creating a level playing field without making it to complicated for the NBSSR. A stock sx style machine stands no chance over the SRX or F7 but race the same class. I like the train of thought so far and I like that it is being discussed. I run tripple pipes to be more competitive with the SRX allthough that bumps me to improved when a stock SRX would be in the same class as a single pipes sx....not a level playing field.

ya blue lets eliminate th f7's and all the yamahas can win ,...i like it ..lol...

maybe the hp thing is worth looking at ,, as if it is happening in ny than obviously this discussion has been raised else where .

sxr 112 hp.or so
srx 148 hp. or so ------- this year they had these pooled together good way to disc.

viper 128 hp. or so --------- some participants and potential ones

eventually no money =no races = no fun

The h.p. grouping works great on stock sleds because we all know how much horsepower they should make.Once you start adding mods it gets real hard to guess the h.p.

Maybe dividing classes into e.t.'s is the way to go.Let each sled make an all out pass and decide what E.T. class they should be in.Those who lift or sandbag get disquailfied.

QUOTE JABBER-Good point on trying to bringing the majority of sleds into competition... As you said a person will only register to get beat up on a couple times then will move on. I know a few guys that ran, that just wanted to see what there sleds could do for MPH.. I personally like to try to better my own speed every time out. Eventually you run out of improvements to be made.. I like the idea of vintage classes and maybe the non powervalve single pipe class would work aswell.. All based on registration #'s... UNQUOTE

If the couple of fellas would have got a placing or something they may have come back , even a simple display board outside with the classes may spark more entries ,
we even herd comments such as " 109 why is he running the other guy went 144" prooving that you will not get max entries unless you catergorize more efficiently but its how to do it as easy as possible .

The display board is a very good point!! I have already e-mailed Claude suggesting it.. Alot of spectators and racers alike don't have a clue who or what they are running against in the different classes. I'm one of them most of the time....

Good disscusion guys.. I'm sure Claude is glad to get eveyone's imput... Keep it coming.

a display board is an excellent idea......can keep track of where you stand.
Yep I pulled up to the line with a single piped SX 700 and just ran a 109 which is a great run for that sled...but people on the side lines said...he has no chance the other sled just did 144.

Back